Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Consoles VS PC: My Mock Interview with Sony & Microsoft

Consoles VS PC: My Mock Interview with Sony & Microsoft

Luke Frazier December 30, 2012Features, Gaming

I recently decided to opt out of the next generation of consoles to pursue my interactive entertainment through a dedicated gaming PC. Sony and Microsoft quickly caught wind of my intentions (no they didnít) and organized an intervention to correct my newly-planned future course of action (again, no they didnít). The following is a word-for-word transcription of that conversation.*For simplicityís sake, Sony and Microsoft will be represented by the title ďS & MĒ throughout this discussion. Mostly because those initials are as silly as this article.óóĖ

S & M:
    It has come to our attention that you may purposefully pass on the upcoming machines we have yet to officially mention, that youíre considering skipping the next generation altogether! Tell us this isnít true!

Me:
    Partially true, and not in your favor, Iím afraid. You see, picking up a dedicated gaming PC seems so much more sensible to me.

S & M:
    Oh. A PC

Me: Yep.

S & M:
    That guy.

Me:
    Uh-huh.

S & M:
    You must have overlooked the gravity of this decision, of this mistake! Do dreaded driver updates and the constantly evolving video card market mean nothing to you? Itís a desolate road of non-stop hassles and headaches. And the colossal costs alone, my goodness! Surely the balance sheets donít fit with your late-college budget?

Me:
    That depends on your perspective, really. Yes, a bleeding-edge technological masterpiece would undoubtedly set me back thousands of dollars I donít have, but Iím not interested in bleeding. Rather, I just need my games to run. Run well, mind you, though I can achieve that at little more than five hundred dollars.

S & M:
    We donít believe you.

Me:
    You should. Iíve been gaming on my years-old college laptop for the past year or two, a machine that cost less than $500 when new and was never meant to be used this intensively. Still, I managed to make titles as current as Kingdoms of Amalur and The Old Republic playable on this thing. Needless to say, Iím more than used to the occasional struggle by now. Just imagine what a proper PC could do, even in the sub-$1000 price range!

M:
    But anything over $500 is absurd!

S (to M, with flashbacks from 2006):
    Would you shut up!

Me:
    Right. And again, this all comes down to perspective. I admit that Iíll probably be paying more up front for a PC than either of you will charge for your new consoles, but the savings are in the extras. And by extras, I mean games. Have you seen those Steam sales?

S & M (in perfect unison):
    We donít talk about Steam.

Me:
    Then I will. I have over 70 games in that digital library and didnít even need to drop $200 for the collection in total. To speak of Amalur again, for example, I grabbed a downloadable copy for five bucks over Black Friday. Five bucks! For a triple-A 2012 release with a console counterpart that currently retails at $39.99! Even your evil nemesis known as the secondhand market canít compete with those numbers. Plus, I havenít played more than 20 games from my ever-growing trove. In other words, Iíll have more than 70 readily available and accessible titles for my shiny new PC on day one. Backwards compatibility at its finest. Have anything to say on that front?

S & M (spoken with venom):
    ÖGood luck with local multiplayer.

Me:
    As youíll see here, I donít engage in multiplayer whatsoever, let alone the local type.

S & M:
    A controller, then. Ever tried to WASD your way around a 3D platformer or third-person action-adventure game? Experiencing Steel Battalion with Kinect is less insufferable.

Me:
    Wow, Iíd love to debate that comparison. Still, I agree keyboard and mouse isnít optimal for every game. Which is why I wrote up this helpful how-to guide for using a PlayStation 3 controller as a PC gamepad. Problem solved.

S & M:
    Dammit, but weíve got exclusives youíre not going to get anywhere else! You lovedUncharted and Journey, we know it! You simply cannot dispute that fact!

Me:
    Donít worry, I wonít. Youíve got me there

S & M: *high-five*

Me:
    Kind of. Journey and the Uncharted series supplied some of the finest times I had during this generation, but they alone cannot justify choosing consoles over PC. Compared to the past, I barely enjoyed any console exclusives this time around. I played your Resistance and Red Dead Redemption, your inFamous and LittleBigPlanet, and nothing really hooked me the same way that so many PlayStation 2 and GameCube games did. Old greats like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy have lost their way with me, and donít you dare mention Kingdom Hearts III.*S looks awkwardly toward Japan*

Me:
    And video game capture. How cool is that, right?

S & M (discussing together):
    Can we do game capture? I think soÖ

Me:
    Yes, you can, but with external equipment ó expensive external equipment ó that makes your machines even more of a hassle than upgrading a PC. Can I leave now?

S & M:
    No! We have Achievements/Trophies!

Me:
    I donít care.

S& M:
    What about huge TVs and the comfort of cozy couches?

Me:
    What about Steamís Big Picture Mode?

S:
    Ö Iíve got PlayStation Plus!

Me
    : Please donít read this, for your own peace of mind.*S & M whisper wildly*

Me
    : Are you finished?

S & M
    : ÖKingdom Hearts III?

Head shaking, I remove my microphone and stroll off the stage.
    http://www.gamers-association.com/20...ony-microsoft/

lmao, it seems an attempt at brainwashing
    Last edited by claud3; 12-31-2012 at 01:12.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information