Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Consoles VS PC: My Mock Interview with Sony & Microsoft

Consoles VS PC: My Mock Interview with Sony & Microsoft

Luke Frazier December 30, 2012Features, Gaming

I recently decided to opt out of the next generation of consoles to pursue my interactive entertainment through a dedicated gaming PC. Sony and Microsoft quickly caught wind of my intentions (no they didnít) and organized an intervention to correct my newly-planned future course of action (again, no they didnít). The following is a word-for-word transcription of that conversation.*For simplicityís sake, Sony and Microsoft will be represented by the title ďS & MĒ throughout this discussion. Mostly because those initials are as silly as this article.óóĖ

S & M:
    It has come to our attention that you may purposefully pass on the upcoming machines we have yet to officially mention, that youíre considering skipping the next generation altogether! Tell us this isnít true!

Me:
    Partially true, and not in your favor, Iím afraid. You see, picking up a dedicated gaming PC seems so much more sensible to me.

S & M:
    Oh. A PC

Me: Yep.

S & M:
    That guy.

Me:
    Uh-huh.

S & M:
    You must have overlooked the gravity of this decision, of this mistake! Do dreaded driver updates and the constantly evolving video card market mean nothing to you? Itís a desolate road of non-stop hassles and headaches. And the colossal costs alone, my goodness! Surely the balance sheets donít fit with your late-college budget?

Me:
    That depends on your perspective, really. Yes, a bleeding-edge technological masterpiece would undoubtedly set me back thousands of dollars I donít have, but Iím not interested in bleeding. Rather, I just need my games to run. Run well, mind you, though I can achieve that at little more than five hundred dollars.

S & M:
    We donít believe you.

Me:
    You should. Iíve been gaming on my years-old college laptop for the past year or two, a machine that cost less than $500 when new and was never meant to be used this intensively. Still, I managed to make titles as current as Kingdoms of Amalur and The Old Republic playable on this thing. Needless to say, Iím more than used to the occasional struggle by now. Just imagine what a proper PC could do, even in the sub-$1000 price range!

M:
    But anything over $500 is absurd!

S (to M, with flashbacks from 2006):
    Would you shut up!

Me:
    Right. And again, this all comes down to perspective. I admit that Iíll probably be paying more up front for a PC than either of you will charge for your new consoles, but the savings are in the extras. And by extras, I mean games. Have you seen those Steam sales?

S & M (in perfect unison):
    We donít talk about Steam.

Me:
    Then I will. I have over 70 games in that digital library and didnít even need to drop $200 for the collection in total. To speak of Amalur again, for example, I grabbed a downloadable copy for five bucks over Black Friday. Five bucks! For a triple-A 2012 release with a console counterpart that currently retails at $39.99! Even your evil nemesis known as the secondhand market canít compete with those numbers. Plus, I havenít played more than 20 games from my ever-growing trove. In other words, Iíll have more than 70 readily available and accessible titles for my shiny new PC on day one. Backwards compatibility at its finest. Have anything to say on that front?

S & M (spoken with venom):
    ÖGood luck with local multiplayer.

Me:
    As youíll see here, I donít engage in multiplayer whatsoever, let alone the local type.

S & M:
    A controller, then. Ever tried to WASD your way around a 3D platformer or third-person action-adventure game? Experiencing Steel Battalion with Kinect is less insufferable.

Me:
    Wow, Iíd love to debate that comparison. Still, I agree keyboard and mouse isnít optimal for every game. Which is why I wrote up this helpful how-to guide for using a PlayStation 3 controller as a PC gamepad. Problem solved.

S & M:
    Dammit, but weíve got exclusives youíre not going to get anywhere else! You lovedUncharted and Journey, we know it! You simply cannot dispute that fact!

Me:
    Donít worry, I wonít. Youíve got me there

S & M: *high-five*

Me:
    Kind of. Journey and the Uncharted series supplied some of the finest times I had during this generation, but they alone cannot justify choosing consoles over PC. Compared to the past, I barely enjoyed any console exclusives this time around. I played your Resistance and Red Dead Redemption, your inFamous and LittleBigPlanet, and nothing really hooked me the same way that so many PlayStation 2 and GameCube games did. Old greats like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy have lost their way with me, and donít you dare mention Kingdom Hearts III.*S looks awkwardly toward Japan*

Me:
    And video game capture. How cool is that, right?

S & M (discussing together):
    Can we do game capture? I think soÖ

Me:
    Yes, you can, but with external equipment ó expensive external equipment ó that makes your machines even more of a hassle than upgrading a PC. Can I leave now?

S & M:
    No! We have Achievements/Trophies!

Me:
    I donít care.

S& M:
    What about huge TVs and the comfort of cozy couches?

Me:
    What about Steamís Big Picture Mode?

S:
    Ö Iíve got PlayStation Plus!

Me
    : Please donít read this, for your own peace of mind.*S & M whisper wildly*

Me
    : Are you finished?

S & M
    : ÖKingdom Hearts III?

Head shaking, I remove my microphone and stroll off the stage.
    http://www.gamers-association.com/20...ony-microsoft/

lmao, it seems an attempt at brainwashing
    Last edited by claud3; 12-31-2012 at 01:12.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member

Unless they are running a Linux OS they should remove Microsoft from that fantasy interview since they're still gaming on a Microsoft platform.

Microsoft doesn't care if you game on a console or a PC. They've built their past two consoles with the deliberate intent of making gaming on both as close to identical as possible. Windows Live achievements from the PC show up on your Xbox Gamercard, and Xbox Achievements show up on your Live ID. You can even use your Xbox peripherals and Kinect on a PC.

It's only Sony that doesn't want you to use a PC. Microsoft is all for it, they get paid either way.

3. Likes Bio likes this post
    Master Guru
    Sony is all all about the console space.

Like CA said, Microsoft doesn't care. They're making bank either way.

Forum Sage
    On the PC, developers don't have to go through Microsoft. So, Microsoft isn't making bank either way (on the gaming side.) Someone buying a PC for gaming is still a plus for them but they don't see any royalties from that (from game sales.)

They tried doing that with the Games for Windows badge.....didn't quite pan out as they wanted it to.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    On the PC, developers don't have to go through Microsoft. So, Microsoft isn't making bank either way (on the gaming side.) Someone buying a PC for gaming is still a plus for them but they don't see any royalties from that (from game sales.)

They tried doing that with the Games for Windows badge.....didn't quite pan out as they wanted it to.
    MS doesn't make royalties from the games, but they don't have the overhead of having to pay for the hardware either. If you're seriously gaming on a PC then you're using a Microsoft OS, which is almost pure profit for them.

Also you're going to need hardware for your PC, and that hardware will have drivers which have to be WHQL tested, and hardware manufacturers have to pay MS for each driver update they release that goes through WHQL testing. Microsoft makes a LOT of money from nVidia and AMD on graphics card driver testing.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony is all all about the console space.

Like CA said, Microsoft doesn't care. They're making bank either way.
    Microsoft is making money on Pc and Consoles but the money that they are losing in Pc isn't being recouped on the console. People and businesses aren't buying PC's like they use to. I don't know anyone who got a new PC this year and I haven't seen a PC commerical since 2007. There are laptops and tablets now this is their age people just aren't buying rigs very often. If you're a producer, programmer, artist, gamer or something of that nature that requires a heavy duty rig then ok you're going to buy a PC. The average joe though they want an ipad they want a laptop or netbook something cheap and mobile. Consoles are going to have to go the direction of PC to stay alive we have wireless keyboards and mouses usb ports internet browsers and apps on consoles. Ms is eventually going to ditch the PC gaming market and leave it to indie devs. Sony was right not to get to deep into PC gaming even though they do have a large base on PC. Piracy will always be that elephant in the room when it comes to PC gaming. Next generation I think we are going to see more free 2 play games with microtransactions. It's what has been keeping the PC gaming alive and its sort of working on consoles too your purchase a game and what do ya know here comes the DLC.

Sony has already decided that instead of having a membership to game online we will go with ps+ pay for 3 months or buy a year and we will give you discounts or free games. It proved to be more profitable for them so they adopted the same on the vita with hopes to drive up sales and they have recently dropped the price on memory cards. This strategy will bleed over into next gen and Ms will have to adopt it. Unless cloud gaming is very successful I don't see MS or Sony making alot of money out of the PC market. The more they push for cloud gaming the less they will make on consoles it's gonna be tug a war consoles need to come out on top. To be honest I think the only reason why Sony has a stake in cloud gaming is the fear that PC's will become things of the past for gamers.

A bit long winded but just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    MS doesn't make royalties from the games, but they don't have the overhead of having to pay for the hardware either. If you're seriously gaming on a PC then you're using a Microsoft OS, which is almost pure profit for them.

Also you're going to need hardware for your PC, and that hardware will have drivers which have to be WHQL tested, and hardware manufacturers have to pay MS for each driver update they release that goes through WHQL testing. Microsoft makes a LOT of money from nVidia and AMD on graphics card driver testing.
    Ok they make money on the OS but heres an example the pc's at my job use windows xp that came out in 2001. You think businesses are going oh look a new OS lets ditch whats been working for us and get the next best thing its very cost effective to buy new software. Its 2013 now and i dont expect to see a windows 7 computer in my office. It just isnt good for business as long as their software still runs they are going to keep it to keep costs down.
    Last edited by hood; 01-02-2013 at 07:03.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    Microsoft is making money on Pc and Consoles but the money that they are losing in Pc isn't being recouped on the console. People and businesses aren't buying PC's like they use to. I don't know anyone who got a new PC this year and I haven't seen a PC commerical since 2007. There are laptops and tablets now this is their age people just aren't buying rigs very often. If you're a producer, programmer, artist, gamer or something of that nature that requires a heavy duty rig then ok you're going to buy a PC. The average joe though they want an ipad they want a laptop or netbook something cheap and mobile. Consoles are going to have to go the direction of PC to stay alive we have wireless keyboards and mouses usb ports internet browsers and apps on consoles. Ms is eventually going to ditch the PC gaming market and leave it to indie devs. Sony was right not to get to deep into PC gaming even though they do have a large base on PC. Piracy will always be that elephant in the room when it comes to PC gaming. Next generation I think we are going to see more free 2 play games with microtransactions. It's what has been keeping the PC gaming alive and its sort of working on consoles too your purchase a game and what do ya know here comes the DLC.

Sony has already decided that instead of having a membership to game online we will go with ps+ pay for 3 months or buy a year and we will give you discounts or free games. It proved to be more profitable for them so they adopted the same on the vita with hopes to drive up sales and they have recently dropped the price on memory cards. This strategy will bleed over into next gen and Ms will have to adopt it. Unless cloud gaming is very successful I don't see MS or Sony making alot of money out of the PC market. The more they push for cloud gaming the less they will make on consoles it's gonna be tug a war consoles need to come out on top. To be honest I think the only reason why Sony has a stake in cloud gaming is the fear that PC's will become things of the past for gamers.

A bit long winded but just my 2 cents.

Ok they make money on the OS but heres an example the pc's at my job use windows xp that came out in 2001. You think businesses are going oh look a new OS lets ditch whats been working for us and get the next best thing its very cost effective to buy new software. Its 2013 now and i dont expect to see a windows 7 computer in my office. It just isnt good for business as long as their software still runs they are going to keep it to keep costs down.
    MS will always make money off their OS. Businesses and consumers will continue buying PC's and as long as that continues to happen, Windows will be the OS most flock too.

Are people looking for something that they can take on the go? Undoubtedly, but even with that, there is so much that one could achieve on a PC as opposed to some of the other products, and once functionality and price come into consideration, not hard to see why more people are likely to buy a PC as compared to some of the products you mention. Laptops? Most run on windows....that is a market for MS too.

For that reason, your assessment of MS woefully wrong.

As for Sony, they need to downsize, get rid of what isnt making or doesnt look like will make them a profit
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acryllicaltair View Post
    MS will always make money off their OS. Businesses and consumers will continue buying PC's and as long as that continues to happen, Windows will be the OS most flock too.

Are people looking for something that they can take on the go? Undoubtedly, but even with that, there is so much that one could achieve on a PC as opposed to some of the other products, and once functionality and price come into consideration, not hard to see why more people are likely to buy a PC as compared to some of the products you mention. Laptops? Most run on windows....that is a market for MS too.

For that reason, your assessment of MS woefully wrong.

As for Sony, they need to downsize, get rid of what isnt making or doesnt look like will make them a profit
    a simple google search can pull up articles about MS losing its grip on the pc market. Theres even a thread in this very forum that says people want ios devices and tablets over consoles. Ms is banking on windows 8 now to keep them in the game its on phones the tablets they need that market space back and if they dont get it things will continue to decline.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

It's not the same. If that is all Microsoft cared about, they wouldn't have entered the console business with their own hardware. They wouldn't try to carry over the Xbox brand to Windows (they are -- see Windows 8.)

Microsoft doesn't mind people buying the PC (who is arguing against that anyway?), but on the gaming front, they'd prefer it if you went through them, so that's why they DO care about the console space, just as much as Sony does.

They want people to game on the Xbox because they control everything about it (not to mention Xbox Live subscriptions.)

I understand that Microsoft makes money on the PC side. You don't need to point that out.
    Last edited by sainraja; 01-02-2013 at 15:17.

Superior Member

It's not the same. If that is all Microsoft cared about, they wouldn't have entered the console business with their own hardware. They wouldn't try to carry over the Xbox brand to Windows (they are -- see Windows 8.)
    Everything is right this coming generation, they will have the memory in place to have a Windows based OS to help run the console and console applications. Something like that has never been applicable to previous console generations, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the quality of games, who are we to complain?

Microsoft doesn't mind people buying the PC (who is arguing against that anyway?), but on the gaming front, they'd prefer it if you went through them, so that's why they DO care about the console space, just as much as Sony does.
    They want people to game on the Xbox because they control everything about it (not to mention Xbox Live subscriptions.)
    are people still complaining about a 50 buck a year service? Online passes are the big issue or Sony trying to link games to a single PSN ID in a bid to stop used game sales.

Live IMHO is the least of our worries if noth Sony and MS try and end the used game market.

Superior Member

a simple google search can pull up articles about MS losing its grip on the pc market. Theres even a thread in this very forum that says people want ios devices and tablets over consoles. Ms is banking on windows 8 now to keep them in the game its on phones the tablets they need that market space back and if they dont get it things will continue to decline.
    Get this, people want tablets because they are a craze at the current moment, and the fact that they offer you better functionality with mobility.

That said, PC's and laptops are still cheaper and offer better functionality when compared to these devices. Apple may sell less than 10 million tablets a year, there are several hundred million PC's being sold each year, and a much bigger used PC market.

Tablets and phones offer MS a growth avenue for their business, not a competition killing blow you somewhat allude to.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    You all guys seem off topic lol

OP wanted to ask how can sony and ms can handle steam, at least this is what i think so?

My answer: They can't, steam will rule when they made the box..
    (ē_ē)
    ( ē_ē)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Member
    Get this, people want tablets because they are a craze at the current moment, and the fact that they offer you better functionality with mobility.

That said, PC's and laptops are still cheaper and offer better functionality when compared to these devices. Apple may sell less than 10 million tablets a year, there are several hundred million PC's being sold each year, and a much bigger used PC market.

Tablets and phones offer MS a growth avenue for their business, not a competition killing blow you somewhat allude to.
    what you are failing to understand is that people and business are moving away from buying PC's. People buying laptops now a days are mostly just college students. Even with college students buying laptops they are still cashing in on tablets and ios devices. No one wants a rig anymore but people who absolutely have to have one. Tablets and Phones from MS a growth avenue sure but windows phones suck the zune sucks and apparently the new tablet ms has isnt making any waves.

Forum Sage
    Everything is right this coming generation, they will have the memory in place to have a Windows based OS to help run the console and console applications. Something like that has never been applicable to previous console generations, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the quality of games, who are we to complain?

are people still complaining about a 50 buck a year service? Online passes are the big issue or Sony trying to link games to a single PSN ID in a bid to stop used game sales.

Live IMHO is the least of our worries if noth Sony and MS try and end the used game market.
    Don't change the argument. It's been about why Microsoft cares about their console business, just as much as Sony does. You are trying to bring in things that I never mentioned.

Superior Member

Don't change the argument. It's been about why Microsoft cares about their console business, just as much as Sony does. You are trying to bring in things that I never mentioned.
    Really?

One poster simply mentioned that MS makes money of PC business, the console business is another way of them expanding that business, and Live an opportunity to make money............how on Earth am i going off what you mentioned?

what you are failing to understand is that people and business are moving away from buying PC's. People buying laptops now a days are mostly just college students. Even with college students buying laptops they are still cashing in on tablets and ios devices. No one wants a rig anymore but people who absolutely have to have one. Tablets and Phones from MS a growth avenue sure but windows phones suck the zune sucks and apparently the new tablet ms has isnt making any waves.
    Businesses and people are not moving away from the PC business. Laptops and PC's are still the backbone of almost every business that is out there.....and Windows, Office, Server solutions, and Visual basic core products for most of them.

When it comes to Tablets and IoS devices, they are a craze, niche products. Apple products e.g. the IPhone, Mac sell to a small percentile of users on the respective markets..........the one place where they dominate is the tablet market, and even that is a secondary market for most.

Businesses got into Blackberry's because of what it allowed workers to do out of the office, it was complimentary just as the Ipad is, PC's are still the number one solution for computing both for those businesses and students....even more-so in the developing world. So just as people are likely to buy another smartphone not called the Iphone or Galaxy S for a cheaper smartphone so the same will apply to the PC segment.

People forget that when businesses struggle, so too does their investment in tech......has been like this in every bubble we have seen to date.

Elite Member
    Really?

One poster simply mentioned that MS makes money of PC business, the console business is another way of them expanding that business, and Live an opportunity to make money............how on Earth am i going off what you mentioned?

Businesses and people are not moving away from the PC business. Laptops and PC's are still the backbone of almost every business that is out there.....and Windows, Office, Server solutions, and Visual basic core products for most of them.

When it comes to Tablets and IoS devices, they are a craze, niche products. Apple products e.g. the IPhone, Mac sell to a small percentile of users on the respective markets..........the one place where they dominate is the tablet market, and even that is a secondary market for most.

Businesses got into Blackberry's because of what it allowed workers to do out of the office, it was complimentary just as the Ipad is, PC's are still the number one solution for computing both for those businesses and students....even more-so in the developing world. So just as people are likely to buy another smartphone not called the Iphone or Galaxy S for a cheaper smartphone so the same will apply to the PC segment.

People forget that when businesses struggle, so too does their investment in tech......has been like this in every bubble we have seen to date.
    Stop putting PC and Laptop in the same plane. The only people who are buying PC's not laptops are businesses or people who seriously need a PC and the average Joe isn't how is MS making a decient profit on PC's(Rigs). If a bussiness is doing fine with what they have they arent going to spend money on new PC's. The OP says hes gonna stick to his PC for gaming. The whole Windows 8 deal is to get a shot at that mobile market because they are losing the PC market to mobile. Xp came out in 2001 when Vista was released it failed people were paying to downgrade back to Xp. Windows 7 came out in 2010 and here we are now with Windows 8 going after that market that they lost. Thats how Apple Google Samsung started dominating then all these tablets and mobile devices ipods all this stuff went big. Can honestly say you know someone who said dayum i gotta go out and get that i7 gotta go build that rig up for some games. When's the last time you've seen a commerical that had a PC in it. Blackberry got steam rolled by the iphone theres people showing up to do business now with card readers attached to their mobile devices. You dont call people on a land line anymore you use a cellphone and thats whats happening to PC(Rigs).

Then lets not even get into how many people pirate the OS
    Last edited by hood; 01-03-2013 at 08:22.

Superior Member

[QUOTE=hood;5978116]
    Stop putting PC and Laptop in the same plane. The only people who are buying PC's not laptops are businesses or people who seriously need a PC and the average Joe isn't how is MS making a decient profit on PC's(Rigs).
    What are laptops if not portable versions of PC's, most of which come operating on Windows?

The way you talk, one would think that MS doesnt have their software coming in with the laptops........Windows is the default OS on most laptops, its almost a monopoly to a level that is not funny.

How do i know? Because i know of businesses that have heavily invested in laptops, know of a tonne of people that have bought a new laptop and it runs some version of Windows.

If a bussiness is doing fine with what they have they arent going to spend money on new PC's.
    Are businesses doing great? Is the current economic climate great? You are out of touch with the business world mate.

The OP says hes gonna stick to his PC for gaming. The whole Windows 8 deal is to get a shot at that mobile market because they are losing the PC market to mobile. Xp came out in 2001 when Vista was released it failed people were paying to downgrade back to Xp.
    I still have a laptop that runs XP, but i know of people that went to Vista and eventually upgraded to Windows 7 when it came out. Are there people that will get Windows 8 from that established base? Undoubtedly, but like most other versions, the software will come bundled with new PC's or laptops which is how MS has been making money.

Windows 7 came out in 2010 and here we are now with Windows 8 going after that market that they lost. Thats how Apple Google Samsung started dominating then all these tablets and mobile devices ipods all this stuff went big.
    Ipad's are not a direct competition to PC's or laptops just as smartphones are not. MS did not lose market to anyone when these products came out, they lost an opportunity to make money by having windows as the default OS on the system as with smartphones. Ipods are not a competition to PC's, and it isnt surprising that their sales have somewhat tapered with the advent of smartphones.
    Can honestly say you know someone who said dayum i gotta go out and get that i7 gotta go build that rig up for some games. When's the last time you've seen a commerical that had a PC in it. Blackberry got steam rolled by the iphone theres people showing up to do business now with card readers attached to their mobile devices. You dont call people on a land line anymore you use a cellphone and thats whats happening to PC(Rigs).
    Blackberry wasnt killed by the Iphone.....what killed it was the constant service outages, more and more phones coming out with similar capability, and its allure going down with time. Something similar has happened to the Ipod
    Then lets not even get into how many people pirate the OS
    has that ever stopped MS from being profitable? Have copy games killed Sony, MS nintendo?

Elite Member
    A laptop is a mobile device a PC isnt mobile. People arent buying PC's the OP says he wants a PC to game on. Thats what this was about Games. Why the hell did MS even come out with the xbox. The ps2 was making a killing they had to do something about that. why do they have a tablet now because tablets are making a killing and what do they make for their tablet and phones Windows 8. The last rig i had you know what i ended up doing with it selling it to some old guy in NJ so he could play Eve Online.

A tablet is a mobile device a cellphone is a mobile device. Look at the Surface Table its screeming buy me i have keyboard just like a laptop. It's funny you say that Blackberry didnt get killed by the Iphone it was more phones coming out with simular capabilities.

people who were buying PC's want mobile devices. All business arent doing great but you know what my aunt just got hired at this firm in Oct. They give their employees Ipads and Iphones. Schools are buying Nooks and Ereaders tablets and laptops that students rent for the semester. People dont want PCs they want to be mobile. Look no one is doubting that MS is making money but lets not pretend that People in general havent moved away from rigs. Which is the reason why Ms made a Tablet and is trying to make Windows phones popular and to make money we have window8.

then sit here and try to say that i dont understand the economy business are doing bad i never said that business is great what i said was if they still have XP like you just admitted you have why go out and get a new PC or upgrade. Before they all got screwed and had to downgrade to Xp
    Last edited by hood; 01-03-2013 at 09:04.

Forum Sage
    Really?

You're missing the point I was making and ignoring to who I was making the point to. Read the thread from the beginning to my response.

Microsoft cares about the business they are in -- whether they are in it on the PC side or the console side. They are trying to control the PC side a bit more, bring it under the Xbox brand (they are more focused towards this goal with Windows 8, which is why the criticism from Valve regarding W8 with the store.)

Dedicated Member

Would a PS3 work better for your business? How about an Xbox?

No?

Then could you kindly explain how your comment is in any way relevent to this discussion?

Dedicated Member

I understand that Microsoft makes money on the PC side. You don't need to point that out.
    Microsoft simply wanted to diversify their income. The console market exists. There is money to be made in that market. MS is happy to make money in that market.

But that doesn't mean that they don't want you to game on a PC, nor does it mean that they would rather you not game on a PC and game on an Xbox instead. They make money on BOTH gaming platforms.

You don't seem to understand that really simple concept. MS isn't going to try to convince you to stop PC gaming. They make a LOT of money from PC gaming via OS sales, WHQL driver certification for graphics cards, etc... Why would they want to stop that source of income?

They simply added another product that generates even more income for them with the Xbox. They still make loads of money if you game on a PC, and now they make loads of money if you game on an Xbox.

It's sort of like saying Apple would try to convince people not to buy an iPod Touch anymore because they now have an iPad Mini. They don't care which you buy. In fact they would prefer you buy both. Same with MS. They don't care if you game on PC or Xbox. If anything they would prefer you game on both, not give up the PC.

Superior Member

A laptop is a mobile device a PC isnt mobile. People arent buying PC's the OP says he wants a PC to game on. Thats what this was about Games. Why the hell did MS even come out with the xbox. The ps2 was making a killing they had to do something about that. why do they have a tablet now because tablets are making a killing and what do they make for their tablet and phones Windows 8. The last rig i had you know what i ended up doing with it selling it to some old guy in NJ so he could play Eve Online.
    You stated that the PC business was going to be on decline...........those were your words, not mine.

You seem to have been looking at it from a pr playstation gamer perspective, and i might say you got a tonne wrong it isnt even funny.

A tablet is a mobile device a cellphone is a mobile device. Look at the Surface Table its screeming buy me i have keyboard just like a laptop. It's funny you say that Blackberry didnt get killed by the Iphone it was more phones coming out with simular capabilities.
    the blackberry got killed by its constant service outages that have become more and more common place in the past few years.

people who were buying PC's want mobile devices. All business arent doing great but you know what my aunt just got hired at this firm in Oct. They give their employees Ipads and Iphones. Schools are buying Nooks and Ereaders tablets and laptops that students rent for the semester. People dont want PCs they want to be mobile. Look no one is doubting that MS is making money but lets not pretend that People in general havent moved away from rigs. Which is the reason why Ms made a Tablet and is trying to make Windows phones popular and to make money we have window8.
    Christ Jesus...........Mobile devices have their place, so too do desktops and PC's. I worked for a financial firm with a gloabl footprint that a few years ago did a full overhaul of computers and phones on the baking side of the business. Out went the PC's that were running on 512MB RAM that were four to 5 years old, and in came desktops from Lenovo all running Windows, Office and on a MS server solution at 1MB RAM, and those will be overhauled in the not too distant future.

You know why? As businesses get bigger and as the programs they run get bigger and need more memory, there is a need to go on and invest on tech to make service delivery better and this can only be achieved by investing in tech be it from computing terms to machinery and hardware.

From your type of reasoning, one would think that there are no repeat buyers when it comes to the PC business. I know of one executive who was ona dektop but when new machines came in he was working on a laptop, on Windows, Office, and linked to MS server solution.
    GET THIS: Laptops are a mobile version of desktops and tower PC's, MS makes money off them running their OS just as they would the former.

Are businesses investing in alternative solutions for employees? Yes, i know of various companies that have invested in Blackberries or Galaxy notes so that their top employees can get to meetings and take notes or get their mail on the go. Does that mean that they are going to go out there and get rid of their PC's? Hell no.

Businesses will continue to buy PC's either to better existing hardware, or invest on more when they are expanding.
    There are some general indicators of how well businesses or certain aspects of the economy are doing by looking at certain companies e.g. if you wanted to know if home construction is going to be on the up, you dont wait to look at the results posted by home builders, you loos at a company like Caterpillar, if you want to know if Busniesses are looking to expand, you look at companies like Dell, HP, Intel, MS because those companies will need computing ability before they hire.

then sit here and try to say that i dont understand the economy business are doing bad i never said that business is great what i said was if they still have XP like you just admitted you have why go out and get a new PC or upgrade. Before they all got screwed and had to downgrade to Xp
    I dont run heavy programs on my PC, but i have used several versions of Office all from 2000, and i am looking to upgrade my PC when things get better.

That said, i have had friends that used XP, Vista, Windows 7 and are looking to get Windows 8 when it gets out....people are different mate.

You're missing the point I was making and ignoring to who I was making the point to. Read the thread from the beginning to my response.

Microsoft cares about the business they are in -- whether they are in it on the PC side or the console side. They are trying to control the PC side a bit more, bring it under the Xbox brand (they are more focused towards this goal with Windows 8, which is why the criticism from Valve regarding W8 with the store.)
    How many companies are out there trying to synchronize experience around different products or looking to use one product to gain a following for another product?

Sony has done it with hardware in trying and succeeding to get Ble Ray as the next generation format of choice, Apple is streamlining experience and accounts across Mac, Iphone, Ipad, Ipod, Samsung et al have succeeded in getting cross functionality between their PC's, phones and televisions, MS is doing the same with their software from PC's, to phones, to gaming.

So where does it stop with some of you people looking at things selectively?

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That is indeed a fantasy interview, cuz in the real world MS/SONY wouldn't care
    Even if they only had a userbase of 40mill they would still be better off then the PC market
    Funny read up nonetheless

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water coolerĒ

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Sony = sadist because they launched a console a year late, priced it at $600, and gave it the most difficult CPU architecture known to man.

Microsoft = masochistic because they charge us for Live, sold us a console that always breaks, and ruin their first party developers (Rare). lol

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Sony = sadist because they launched a console a year late, priced it at $600, and gave it the most difficult CPU architecture known to man.

Microsoft = masochistic because they charge us for Live, sold us a console that always breaks, and ruin their first party developers (Rare). lol

Thread Information