General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

UK videogames market 'suffers' in 2012, but I still wanna buy games from a shop!

MCV has released some stats about the UK games market. It's apparently down 17.4 per cent to 1.598bn in 2012 compared to 1.934bn in 2012.

I think 'suffers' is probably the wrong word to use as it's clear with those figures that there's a fair few people making a lot of cash out of it.

Interestingly, digital sales actually grew by 7.7 percent, while sales in the retail sector dropped by more than 25 percent. I hate to say it but I think the days of not being able to buy many games from the shop are closer than we think. I hope the PS4 has a massive harddrive.

Source -- http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/overa...n-2012/0108783
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    The cheaper prices AND the pre order incentives from stores like amazon is sometimes just too good to pass up.

Plus waiting like a few weeks and buying games cheaper from ebay is very common too i bet.

Buying from the comfort of your own home is very nice too.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    The cheaper prices AND the pre order incentives from stores like amazon is sometimes just too good to pass up.

Plus waiting like a few weeks and buying games cheaper from ebay is very common too i bet.

Buying from the comfort of your own home is very nice too.
    It's a new era I think. I'm over 30 so could only ever buy games in a shop until fairly recently. Maybe it's nostalgia that makes me so fond of getting a physical copy of the game. Cheaper is always good, but I'll be sad when the game shops die. Most of the independent ones have anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yep the independant game shops in my area have all disappeared, and I'd bet all over the UK it's the same. It's just so much more convenient buying from the likes of Amazon, and even supermarkets like Tesco and Asda as people accumulate points and such instore from their normal grocery shop and can redeem them on game purchases. Sometimes they even get the game to you a day earlier... I know ShopTo often do this

The likes of GAME and HMV have hard a pretty rough time of late. Our local GAME and HMV both shut down (H&M for men opening there makes it a good trade-off personally though ) so I don't really have choice as to where I get games now, it's all online. I don't think I'd ever prefer digital to physical though - on my Vita I do, because those little game carts are too small, but for home consoles I'll always prefer physical

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    not surprised by this... With the government being so tight fisted and bringing in new rules making even harder for industries to grow more
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    It's a new era I think. I'm over 30 so could only ever buy games in a shop until fairly recently. Maybe it's nostalgia that makes me so fond of getting a physical copy of the game. Cheaper is always good, but I'll be sad when the game shops die. Most of the independent ones have anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    im 21. i can't imagine gaming without a physical medium. why? i still have PS1 games. how am i to keep digital copies when the servers go dark and i can't redownload...
    a physical copy will last as long as your memory of it will. it will be sad if they die out

however, putting on my arrogant economic hat. this all falls within the norm. the bubble expanded, and now its contracting. whether a new platform is enough to stimulate continued growth remains to be seen.
    the PC is doing quite a lot better than it was when the 360 and ps3 were released, thanks in no small part to steam.

it is to be expected at this stage in a consoles life.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Cheap unlimited internet probably has something to do with this.

I would much rather download my games thesedays because

1. It saves space
    2. Can often be quicker than going to the shop and back, no need to leave house at midnight

I only bought 1 physical game in 2011 which was BF3 because I had the cash in my pocket and it was slightly cheaper than what EA wanted ontheir Origin site. Oh and where I bought it from has since closed for good, it ws a gamestation

PSN needs to cheapen their prices for digital downloads I bought the God of war games via PSN (2 years ago) and it was about the same price as the physical disc but only because I got a few s of for being a PSplus member otherwise it was more expensive.

I probably prefer digital because I have been using steam since 2003, at first I was skeptical about buying and downloadign back then it was not quick to download stuff on a 512kbit connection, I think HL2 took about 3 or 4 hours maybe even longer.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-02-2013 at 18:22.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    2012 was a poor year IMO, so I'm not surprised.

I'm 100% behind buying my games digitally now when I can, unless it's a limited edition or I do actually want the disc for collection purposes, like Kingdom Hearts HD, I'll be importing the disc rather than buying it off the Japanese Store (if it's even added).

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i feel this year is going to be worse and a massive hole will be created with many being fired or leaving the industry
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    You all feel sorry that you can't have a game store that is close to you but i can't buy any game in my country not even from my town lol...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    There's just one GAME Store in my town now, the other closed last year.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    You all feel sorry that you can't have a game store that is close to you but i can't buy any game in my country not even from my town lol...
    You buy online?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    You buy online?
    I usually use zavvi, shopto or play-asia, when they got deals of course. just a few times i used psstore but not like i want to, i just have to. At release date games cost around 100$/75€ in my lovely Turkey
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Elite Guru
    Oh right. That's bloody expensive lol. I use Zavvi and ShopTo but since I'm in UK I get free delivery >.<

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Shopto and Amazon are where it's at.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well what ever happens, we will all be effected big time

2013, 2014 and 2015 will be the test for the next gen if and when they come out

Thread Information