PSN ID
    NY11725

Upgrading PS3 HDD

I alredy know most information needed for this, but I have a few questions.

I was originally going to go with a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, but after reading about Head Parking, I cancelled my order. I really don't want to have to hook it up to my PC to disable any timers or anything like that. I just want a HDD that is known to work flawlessly with the PS3.

My first question is, do all the WD 2.5's have this intellipark ( Head parking ) feature? Or, is it only the Blues and Greens? I really can't find a straight answer if the Blacks have them, as there is a nice Black 320GB, but I just don't want to take the chance with this Head Parking every 8 seconds. I do not want HDD lag.

If the Blacks indeed do fall in the family of intellipark, then I was looking into the Hiatchi 500GB, which no one mentions any issues with Head Parking.

Scorpio Black

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0black%20320gb

Hitachi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145361

Now, the price is the same, but I never really heard of Hitachi until last night when researching the Head Parking. A few people said to go with Hitachi, and the reviews for the same Hitachi on Amazon has decent reviews of people who used them in their PS3's

7200 won't really be a issue because I am planning to take apart my PS3 this coming weekend to clean off the stock thermal paste, and apply some AS5, so I doubt heat will be that much of a issue. The 7200's don't even really generate that much more heat, but anyway..

If you all could be so kind to drop by any information, it would be great. Also please list the HDD you upgraded to. If you are not a member of these forums, but you come across this thread anyway, please register and reply if you have any useful information. Please post in the format of

Brand

Space

Speed

Cache

Thanks!
    Last edited by NY11725; 01-02-2013 at 20:51.

PSN ID
    NY11725
    I found the drive I am going to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152204

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    hey welcome iam from new york also i have a westen digtal 250 gig hard drive. just make sure you have the the fw on a usb thumb stick and make sure its in the ps3 put the hard drive in and turn on the ps3 and press x the fw on the thumbstick will format the ps3 hard drive for you.

PSN ID
    NY11725
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    hey welcome iam from new york also i have a westen digtal 250 gig hard drive. just make sure you have the the fw on a usb thumb stick and make sure its in the ps3 put the hard drive in and turn on the ps3 and press x the fw on the thumbstick will format the ps3 hard drive for you.
    Noted, Thank You

Master Guru
    What Cool guy said. That's all you need.

Thread Information