Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Hopefully this is just another patent that Sony will never put into practice. I think it would definitely alienate gamers who can't always afford to buy brand new, like myself.

Greatness Awaits

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well i say $#@! sony and $#@! their idea to do this

they have no respect for us gamers what so ever, if and when they go through with this crap
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    There have been all sorts of patents from Sony, from weird 3D devices and set ups to adverts that pause a game briefly before resuming. How many of these patents, if any, are used remains to be seen.
    Pretty much this. They'll probably just have a patent and that's it. That would be a lot of negative press for Sony if they managed this with PS4.

As for expense, games brand new do cost a lot of money when there's so much else to afford. Almost every game I own is bought brand new, but I generally do not buy games right at launch. $60 is a bit steep for any game, I've only done that once last year. Either I wait for it to get marked down to 40 or some special deal.

If games get linked in some way to stop second-hand sales, you're killing a lot of exposure to games. I'm just not sure people would be that willing to shell out $60 for a game that sounds interesting if they can't get it used. The only sure games would be the big franchises, like Call of Duty.

As of now, developers/sony might not see a cent of used sales, but online passes and DLC, they do. If someone buys a used copy of whatever game, if they like it, I don't think it's unbelievable to assume they might buy an online pass and any DLC a game might support. I feel if they kill off second-hand gaming, people are not going to pay the "new" price of an older game they are unsure about.

Online passes/DLC are a pretty smart way to combat used sales. People who originally were not going to buy the product in the first place may like it enough to shell money for online/DLC. Overall, I don't think there's an easy solution for this problem.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    If they do this, I'll skip the PS4. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    This is just a patent and most likely won't be applied, hopefully. Sony is in zero position to have something like this in effect and if it happens to be implemented in its current/future hardwares, then Sony will have much difficulty in the industry.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    I buy most of my games on Steam, anyways.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE

8. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    This could just be something for Sony to add to the portfolio, they have some weird ass patents as of late, I'd think if they implemented them for the PS4 it'd end badly for them.

If this actually materializes piracy will increase, hackers are already using other networks (Xlink is one) to play their games, even MP games.

If this was to happen and it were just Sony implementing this, because it's their own tech then this would ruin Sony's PS brand.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

10. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Can people please stop freaking out over a god damn patent?!

How many patents have we already seen in the past that never came to fruition and were more likely used to stop the competition from going down that road?!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenooble View Post
    I buy most of my games on Steam, anyways.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE
    ITs like 2003 all over again. People were complaining more so back then because internet was alot slower I still had 56k dial up when steam released.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/keefy/badges
    Last edited by keefy; 01-03-2013 at 22:12.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sony needs to get more games on PSN, get Uncharted 3, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 etc. on there, who cares if they're 30GB+? If I have the space give me the option. They want digital to evolve then they should support it with more content and sales (although price wise it hasn't been so bad unless the game is under EA/Activision/Ubisoft).

And lol @ people saying they won't buy PS4 because of this, yeah right.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    well what can we do

completely nothing it seems
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Sony is trying to kill itself with this move. Not only will gamers be pissed but retailers will also be pissed maybe to a point where they won't even carry sony hardware! Wtf r they thinking!!!!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    On the flipside of what I said earlier, I suppose all major publishers will support a move like this

Probably a transition to the all-digital world we're surely heading towards. Years from now of course

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    maybe to a point where they won't even carry sony hardware!
    This won't ever happen...
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Elite Sage
    Haha, Happy new year to you as well Sony.

I download all of my games anyway so this isn't a problem that really would effect me in the slightest but if they do implement this there is no way i would be buying a console and supporting this kind of crazy gaming dictatorship.

Not being able to bring a game over a friends without logging in? $#@! you, Sony (and Microsoft if you decide to follow suit)

Elite Guru
    Guess what will happen if publishers can successfully kill the second hand market... Prices for games will either stay the same (as in, no discounting like we see now), or possibly even rise. Less competition is good for them. The consumer will absolutely get shafted. Less competition is bad for us.

If any publisher wants me to buy new and not sell my old, they need to give me a good reason to keep their product. Clearly, they're unable to do that so rather than compete; they're trying to destroy a legal market.

In any event, I've yet to see any concrete evidence to suggest the second hand market is killing the industry. It's pretty much the same as the movie industry, they claim piracy is killing them but they've just had their most successful year, taking $10 Billion at the box office in North America...

20. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    This won't ever happen...
    why not sony isn't king all 3 companies are about even. With sony and ms going after the same market

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Sony won't add this feature if it's not in the nextbox.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Probably a transition to the all-digital world we're surely heading towards. Years from now of course
    Ea is moving in this direction too. None of the publishers like the used game market so they won't be against this. I doubt Sony will actually do this though.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    When I plugged my Sony All Stars into my Playstation, it gave me the option of associating my disc with the PS3 in order to claim my free version for the Vita. I'm not sure if the disc is associated with my PS3, my account, or even if the disc will work in another PS3... would be interesting for someone else to try that out.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    -this isn't directed at you but more the reason-

release dates are told months in advance. even now, there are people clamoring for any tidbit of info they can get for GTA's release date. Save the money beforehand. problem solved. you can buy any game you want that way o.O

as for how this hurts sony guys...
    how does this hurt sony when used games directly hurt sony?

i don't get the thinking....
    are you that petty to not support a console trying to get back sales where they make their money? Profit comes from game sales, the console is sold to you at a loss.

used games = death of gaming.

What alot of nonsense, I have been gaming since 1984 and second hand sales have always played a huge part and 29 years later gaming has went from strength to strength.

Tell me why you think second hand sales are the death of gaming lol

Apprentice
    Hell,I'm betting they patented it so no one can implement it. Just think about it.

Be the good guy and patent something just so no one can implement it. Make you look good.

Linux Mint 13 "Maya" with the MATE 1.6 desktop environment.
    Long live the Penguin!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I don't know if that's able to be patent the concept of locking out a console from playing used games?....

Sony can't afford a bone headed move like this cmon!!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It will put an end to borrowing your friends games and vice versa unless you want to give them your PSN account password that is. Hell NO my Steam and PSN passwords are over 20 digits long and a closely guarded secret even I do not know them.

Veteran
    I don't mind paying full price, but I think it helps that I don't buy games often. Last year, I bought a grand total of one game.

I think the gaming industry needs more security, too, so I support the cause. I'm not sure if this is the best move, though. Why not force official discounts on games or something, rather than lock games to a single console? I think there is a risk of swinging too much power to the other direction. One thing is for sure: the second-hand market doesn't need to get any bigger and the gaming industry needs a better infrastructure for physical media.
    Last edited by Bio; 01-04-2013 at 03:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Thread Information