Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5

used games makes it easy to spend money man, this is wrong.

Veteran
    I seldomly buy used games unless its a hard to find game. I do however occasionally sell some of my games online after Im finished with them and know I will not go back and play them again. I then use that money towards another game. I dont want to have a massive collection of games that ill never play and cant sell/give/loan to someone else. Might as well be purely digital distribution only if it comes to that....

I rent games from redbox that im up in the air about to see if I like them before dropping $60+ on them. Wont beable to do that anymore.

I do borrow and loan games to good friends to try and persuade them to buy them. Wont be able to that anymore.

I also occasionally bring games to friends houses so we can play. I still prefer offline multiplayer over online multiplayer. Wont beable to do that anymore.

If they really go this route, I may just move that money to my other hobbies instead.
    Last edited by faaeng; 01-07-2013 at 05:05.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    The is an old debate though. It's fairly new to games but in books and music so-called right of first sale has long been a thorn in the side of the content creators -- writers and musicians -- and the publishers. They look at it like you're paying for the experience and therefore everyone should pay them that experience no matter how old the copy of the physical media is. Consumer look at more like modern income tax systems. That not dollar -- or any unit of currency -- should be taxed by the same revenue entity twice. So the royalty having been paid by the original buyer, they shouldn't have to pay it again. Alas, though, consumer don't really factor in. Sony doesn't so much want game buyers to pay the royalty all over again as they don't like GameStop and... Well, pretty much it's GameStop is who they overwhelmingly don't like amongst game resellers... Making a solid fortune reselling a game 10 times, without a single penny going to cover cost to development and publish and create profit.

The movie rental industry finally capitulated to film studios so they could get their copies of movies to rent for reasonable prices, sometimes for free or near it, rather than pay the rough equivalent in today's money of $200 - $400 per copy in today's money per copy. That worked out best for studios, consumers and movie renters. Home video prices came down to the point people could afford to buy their favorite movies, so studios earned off that, too, and rental companies didn't have to run up hill a long time to make back in rental fees what they'd paid for each copy of the movie.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    The is an old debate though. It's fairly new to games but in books and music so-called right of first sale has long been a thorn in the side of the content creators -- writers and musicians -- and the publishers. They look at it like you're paying for the experience and therefore everyone should pay them that experience no matter how old the copy of the physical media is. Consumer look at more like modern income tax systems. That not dollar -- or any unit of currency -- should be taxed by the same revenue entity twice. So the royalty having been paid by the original buyer, they shouldn't have to pay it again. Alas, though, consumer don't really factor in. Sony doesn't so much want game buyers to pay the royalty all over again as they don't like GameStop and... Well, pretty much it's GameStop is who they overwhelmingly don't like amongst game resellers... Making a solid fortune reselling a game 10 times, without a single penny going to cover cost to development and publish and create profit.

The movie rental industry finally capitulated to film studios so they could get their copies of movies to rent for reasonable prices, sometimes for free or near it, rather than pay the rough equivalent in today's money of $200 - $400 per copy in today's money per copy. That worked out best for studios, consumers and movie renters. Home video prices came down to the point people could afford to buy their favorite movies, so studios earned off that, too, and rental companies didn't have to run up hill a long time to make back in rental fees what they'd paid for each copy of the movie.
    There is an implicit ownership of physical objects. For example, I own a TV and can resell it if I'd like to. There are way more patents and IP's in it than in any individual video game. Same goes with an iPhone, you can resell an iPhone....

Master Poster
    I read this as "Sony starts writing Suicide note"
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    I read this as "Sony starts writing Suicide note"
    I don't believe it will happen. They filed one of these type of patents before the PS3 came out and last year a rumor like this was going around for the 360.

Let me be clear, if they do this it will be such a failure that they'll drop it within the first year.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol is this what people are holding on to?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    lol is this what people are holding on to?
    Yep.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    used games makes it easy to spend money man, this is wrong.
    I totally agree.

Apprentice

Most of my games are used. If this happened I gues I would just have t wait that much longer while new copies got cheaper and cheaper over time. $60 is a lot to risk on a game that might turn out to stink. I DO buy some games new but it has to be something I'm pretty sure about to risk it, or something that is cheap to begin with such as Doom BFG Edition or the Orange Box.

What it would NOT do would be to make me buy more new release games. I would just wait it out until prices drop in most cases. I would hope that most would take this approach and show Sony how we feel about this with our buying power.

Thread Information