Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation

Sony files patent to stop second-hand game sales

http://www.psu.com/a017923/Sony-pate...and-game-sales

This kind of worries me. Games are expensive and unless it's a title I really want on day one, I tend to get most of my games from eBay. When there's four great games out in one month, it's even more likely I turn to the second-hand market.

Check out the link above about a new patent that Sony has filed.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Bad move. I never buy used games anymore but it'll hurt them for sure.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I could see them getting this patient and implementing it inside the PS4 as people have said with that being the case should it happen then I wont be buying a PS3, but what I dont understand is in the EU they passed a law that allows people to sell 2nd hand games with a CD key on PC etc so console gamers should also be effected and this shouldn't go through really I know CD key's etc are PC games but it still sort of applies

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    This will kill Sony if they go through with it. I'm a huge PS fan and if this happens I wont be buying the PS4.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    There have been all sorts of patents from Sony, from weird 3D devices and set ups to adverts that pause a game briefly before resuming. How many of these patents, if any, are used remains to be seen. MS patented a device that projects a 360 degree image on the walls around you, there's all sorts of crazy stuff going on in the patent world. If Sony implemented this (which I don't think they will given Tretton's sentiments about the blocking of used games being a disservice to the customers. If it happened, I would wager that it was something that both MS, Sony and publishers collaborate on. No company would be stupid enough to do this a lone because they are then $#@!ed when the competion advertises itself as the only 8th gen console that can play used games.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    no chip off my shoulder, i buy all my games new

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

This kind of worries me. Games are expensive and unless it's a title I really want on day one, I tend to get most of my games from eBay. When there's four great games out in one month, it's even more likely I turn to the second-hand market.

-this isn't directed at you but more the reason-

release dates are told months in advance. even now, there are people clamoring for any tidbit of info they can get for GTA's release date. Save the money beforehand. problem solved. you can buy any game you want that way o.O

as for how this hurts sony guys...
    how does this hurt sony when used games directly hurt sony?

i don't get the thinking....
    are you that petty to not support a console trying to get back sales where they make their money? Profit comes from game sales, the console is sold to you at a loss.

used games = death of gaming.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

7. Likes Suzano-O, Wrath , Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ Level headed as always.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post

release dates are told months in advance. even now, there are people clamoring for any tidbit of info they can get for GTA's release date. Save the money beforehand. problem solved. you can buy any game you want that way o.O

are you that petty to not support a console trying to get back sales where they make their money? Profit comes from game sales, the console is sold to you at a loss.

Good points.

If I was to buy all the games I wanted to play every year, gaming would cost me thousands. Thousands that I'll be spending on going on holiday, days out with my family, but most importantly the spiralling costs of running a household and childcare. Second-hand sales help millions of people to be able to play the games they want by buying them at a fraction of the cost.

I still buy lots of new games, but it's not always practical or affordable. It's naive to think that people can afford to save when many people live in their overdrafts. Piracy is rife because people don't have the cash. Buying second-hand is better than piracy. Second-hand sales die- piracy rises.

10. Likes LegendaryAim likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

are you that petty to not support a console
    trying to get back sales where they make their money? Profit comes from game sales, the console is sold to you at a loss.

Are you telling me you don't see a problem with this? I don't get your thinking.... are you that petty to not understand what this could do to the gamer? That would mean no more renting games, so that means no try before you buy. If I buy a game and hate it, it would mean I cant trade it in and get some of my money back. It would put gaming retail shops in huge trouble. Where would we buy are games from then? I buy all my games new too but I know a few people that buy pre owned as they cant afford to buy all the games they want brand new. If Sony does this they are $#@!ed big time.

Take away used games = death of gaming

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

12. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Good points.

If I was to buy all the games I wanted to play every year, gaming would cost me thousands. Thousands that I'll be spending on going on holiday, days out with my family, but most importantly the spiralling costs of running a household and childcare. Second-hand sales help millions of people to be able to play the games they want by buying them at a fraction of the cost.

I still buy lots of new games, but it's not always practical or affordable. It's naive to think that people can afford to save when many people live in their overdrafts. Piracy is rife because people don't have the cash. Buying second-hand is better than piracy. Second-hand sales die- piracy rises.
    i come from fiji man.

you're talking to the wrong person about being skint

i love gaming, its one of my favourite hobbies. that being said, i already have money set aside for games i think i 'might' get.
    key word there is might. when the release date gets closer and i decide i don't want a particular game anymore i then have some free cash to put toward something else. games or other.

Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    Are you telling me you don't see a problem with this? I don't get your thinking.... are you that petty to not understand what this could do to the gamer? That would mean no more renting games, so that means no try before you buy. If I buy a game and hate it, it would mean I cant trade it in and get some of my money back. It would put gaming retail shops in huge trouble. Where would we buy are games from then? I buy all my games new too but I know a few people that buy pre owned as they cant afford to buy all the games they want brand new. If Sony does this they are $#@!ed big time.

Take away used games = death of gaming

so screw the companies who provide you this content?

put it this way. IF Sony had reason to believe everybody and their daughters would buy their games brand new the next PS4 would likely be alot more powerful then what they're currently tinkering away with.
    why? because their margins would be bigger.

Sony make their money from the games they make. not just first party. Third party devs too.
    Sony doesn't see a single cent of a used game.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 01-03-2013 at 13:08.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude

Damn you sir, i was going to post this in the last minute or so lmao

on topic:

this will kill sony and they will lose a lot off fans and creators to this supid move

One can hope this will not come to fruition
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    i come from fiji man.

i love gaming, its one of my favourite hobbies. that being said, i already have money set aside for games i think i 'might' get.
    key word there is might. when the release date gets closer and i decide i don't want a particular game anymore i then have some free cash to put toward something else. games or other.

put it this way. IF Sony had reason to believe everybody and their daughters would buy their games brand new the next PS4 would likely be alot more powerful then what they're currently tinkering away with.

Sony make their money from the games they make. not just first party. Third party devs too.

Put it any way you want, if Sony do this they are $#@!ed. I only mentioned a few problems that would happen if they did this. I go and buy a PS4 and buy a $#@! load of games, the PS4 breaks and then my games become useless.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    i come from fiji man.

If I buy no games this year and save up the money for flight to Fiji, can I stay at yours? That place looks amazing. I understand it's in the best interests of any publisher to stem second-hand sales but they still make loads from games, right? I think CoD, for example, is pirated to hell, yet Activision survive on that franchise.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    If I buy no games this year and save up the money for flight to Fiji, can I stay at yours? That place looks amazing. I understand it's in the best interests of any publisher to stem second-hand sales but they still make loads from games, right? I think CoD, for example, is pirated to hell, yet Activision survive on that franchise.
    if you want. my house overlooks Suva bay and is currently unoccupied

Activision can afford that loss though. whats a few dollars to a millionaire?

fact remains that Sony, and subsequently developers, don't get the cash they think they should. going forward for them (THE GAMES INDUSTRY) becomes more difficult.
    this affects us, and then you get people - as evidenced here - saying that it is Sony's fault etc. Sony can only respond to the market as that is where the money is. sadly people are giving all their money to retailers when they buy a used game. Sony is only left with dumbing down our experience with their product. (adjusting their margins) or pulling something like this.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I buy some games (esp. games which have only single player ) with my friends (for example: enslaved ) since it divide the cash by 2 at least. But if you remove this option from me, then I won't buy any game that i am not sure it will be worth or not.
    For example me and my friend both getting :
    GTA V , God of War: Ascension,Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us seperately.
    the games we are planing to get together:
    Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Blacklist,Bioshock: Infinite and new Metro game.

If they bring this up now, i just can't buy the ones we planed to buy together.

You decide if its better or not.

On the other hand; StewenW, 4 games in a month?? that's not healthy so this law is good for you
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Games better either be cheaper OR OFFER a demo, if there is no second hand sales.

I think offering like a 1 hour or half an hour or just a 1 mission demo of every game would be a great way for this type of thing to be accepted, this way we can test the game out and judge if our money is worth it.

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Games better either be cheaper OR OFFER a demo, if there is no second hand sales.

I think offering like a 1 hour or half an hour or just a 1 mission demo of every game would be a great way for this type of thing to be accepted, this way we can test the game out and judge if our money is worth it.
    Like that. If second-hand sales are prevented I want to see the price of games coming right down.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    OOh risky move. With the online pass on 1st party games, and if this one goes through, I'd have to say that Sony may be in a troublesome place with the PS4

Loads of people still buy used games.

If Xbox3 doesn't do this then said people will have zero interest in PS4

I buy 90% new games but I get it that a lot of people don't

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I buy some games (esp. games which have only single player ) with my friends (for example: enslaved ) since it divide the cash by 2 at least. But if you remove this option from me, then I won't buy any game that i am not sure it will be worth or not.
    For example me and my friend both getting :
    GTA V , God of War: Ascension,Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us seperately.
    the games we are planing to get together:
    Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell: Blacklist,Bioshock: Infinite and new Metro game.

If they bring this up now, i just can't buy the ones we planed to buy together.

You decide if its better or not.

On the other hand; StewenW, 4 games in a month?? that's not healthy so this law is good for you
    If you read the link (although I'm one to talk, I just skimmed it ), it says you can share a password or something so that you can play it on other consoles. So you and your friend can still do this, its just a minor inconvenience for one of you.

I may be in the minority, but this is probably one of the better suggestions for battling used game sales. Because of the option I stated above, rentals can come packed in with the password to allow rentals to continue. Used games sales can still happen between people directly, so places like Gamestop are less likely to profit, although sites like e-Bay can still sell with the code, but that's a risk the buyer will make incase someone doesn't give them the correct code. People hated Friend Codes in Nintendo systems, but lots of people still bought the systems and played online. I see this system a little like that. It's stupid and annoying and unnecessary, but it's there, and it can be worked around.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    it's a kick in the nuts to gamers and creators... They need to boycott sony until they understand the true risk they are taking here
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Good points.

Totally agree. I couldnt have said it better.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    it's a kick in the nuts to gamers and creators... They need to boycott sony until they understand the true risk they are taking here
    To gamers, yes, to creators, the second hand market is nearly as bad as piracy.

TBH it won't affect them that much even if they go through with it, so long as PS4 has games people will still buy it, like the PS3 despite other mistakes Sony has made in the past they still pull in the gamers.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If they want to curb the second hand market they need to offer discounts and sales more often so gamers will buy them from their digital stores.

I expect All games for PS4 will be able to be downloaded via PSN (or whatever its called now) so all we need is the CD key enter it and bingo the download begins. So that means every game we own is tied to our PSN account.

IT could mean a trading system could be put into place so people can swap their games when they are finished with them instead of selling them, however that way Sony does not see any extra money but users do get a better deal than just not allowing us to sell games.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    If you read the link (although I'm one to talk, I just skimmed it ), it says you can share a password or something so that you can play it on other consoles. So you and your friend can still do this, its just a minor inconvenience for one of you.
    Great to hear that, thanks. Btw i may slide to nintendo if sony make me angry enough ( altough i never been in my life ) but there is noway for me to spend a coin for xbox..
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Great to hear that, thanks. Btw i may slide to nintendo if sony make me angry enough ( altough i never been in my life ) but there is noway for me to spend a coin for xbox..
    Same here, I'm Nintendo/Sony all the way lol
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

29. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post

Thread Information