Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

Your opinion on studying abroad.

I'm thinking of traveling the world to study. What do you guys think about it? I have always wanted to do this.
    What added the fuel to the flame was i was on my facebook yesterday, and i saw one of my close friends speaking with a boy about "good times." I clicked on the boy to see if i knew him/to see who he was. I went on his picture and he was in Japan! I looked all around in his picture and i was amazed. Everything is so different from my small town, Laurel Hill, NC, and i wanted to be there so bad.There's so much more to this world. It's almost inconceivable for me that these places exist. I know they're there but it's kinda like when i rode in a helicopter for the first time. I knew the helicopter could fly, i just didn't sink in until it did. (Amazing thing by the way. Try it) Anyways, what do you think about it? Do you think it's too expensive, do you think follow your dreams, or do you just don't give a f**K?

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You should follow your dreams, but be realistic about it. Meaning, will it pay off and will you have enough money for education+accommodation+to get back home in case things go sour. But if you have the money, if you're well off, then definitely go for it, I would in a heartbeat.

They always say money can't buy happiness, but I think that's a load of bull$#@!. Money can't buy happiness to those that don't seek it or need it. If you have money, use it to travel around the world and experience culture from a different point of view. I would kill to be a billionaire, or even a millionaire. All I would do is travel, yearly, monthly, weekly, hell even daily!

Studying abroad provides those type of opportunities. You get a different education from someone else that you're not accustomed to. There's some thrill in that.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I say go for it. If you're passionate enough about it you will love it, providing you can make it all work out and know where you'll be what you're doing etc. Don't go in blind basically.

I always wanted to do this as well, but I would have graduated a year later rather than this summer at the age of 24. Looking back I should have just gone but I was having this pressure from family members that I'm already graduating "late" so why "waste" another year. I pussied out basically. But for the longest time I always wanted to go abroad to study, for just one year. Learn a new language there, make new friends, experiences, memories, connections. I think it looks good on a CV as well - something to talk about or expand upon

Like you experienced from your casual FB stalking, there's good times to be had

I lived with a girl in my 2nd year who was actually from North Carolina like you, studying abroad here

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I would love to study in France and learn the language, I love that country and have been there over 6 times with in 4 years period

I just need to find the right place to go to and study and the money to back me in my quest... Money is always the wall you have to get over and it also depends on were and what you want to study and how long you want to stay

Silver you will never know until you try it. Follow your heart mate and believe in yourself
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't think the 2 are mutually inclusive, you either study or you travel the world.
    You cn just travel the world and learn by yourself the cultures of those countries but when in a classroom studying for tests and what not, you are not experiencing that country to its fullest and if you are you are not studying and passing your courses.

ITs why a gap year was invented.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I would do what Keefy said

travel the world, it's better than sitting in a country classroom and not actually getting out there and learning from the people and culture it offers, we all have the urge to learn and cultures are a great teacher of this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I don't think the 2 are mutually inclusive, you either study or you travel the world.
    You cn just travel the world and learn by yourself the cultures of those countries but when in a classroom studying for tests and what not, you are not experiencing that country to its fullest and if you are you are not studying and passing your courses.

ITs why a gap year was invented.
    I highly doubt you're gonna sit all your hours in your bunk bed studying. Of course you're not going to be on a vacation there, but a completely different environment can be really refreshing even if you'd be studying 24 hours lol.

Studying abroad could be a fantastic choice IF you learn to plan everything well beforehand and really look into what you're about to do. Getting into a school is a whole battle itself, but finding a proper place to stay and handling all your financial issues and paperwork is another thing aswell. The years you spend abroad could be the best of your life, and you might even end up living there later.

Learn to do signatures here

8. Likes Silvy , Lebowski , Nitey likes this post
    Forum Guru
    I would recommend it as my sister had a good experience when she studied abroad in Australia but like what everyone has said - know what you're getting into. A lot of people from around the world come to the UK to study. In my classes at university (studying a business degree) English people are actually in the minority. The UK has a lot of infrastructure set up for international students.
    This is just my experience because I'm in the UK. Personally, I don't know why so many people come here, it rains literally all the time!

It's not cheap to study abroad though. I know that international students here pay 12000 a year to study and they have to prove that they can pay that for the whole course.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I know a few people that did it for a semester. If you're going to a school that offers it AND you can afford it, then it's essentially a good way to get an easy semester while getting the experience of living abroad. The priority should be getting a useful degree.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I studied abroad for a year and it was the best time of my life. I found the girl of my dreams and will now settle down in her country (Australia).

Talk about opportunities.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    I've been working abroad for the past 3 years in Korea, and now will be doing the same in Japan come April. It is a lot different to live in a country than to actually just visit on vacation because you get a sense of a real reality and people treat you like they would really treat a person. On vacation people treat tourists differently (at least in my experience) than those who are actually working there. I can read about a country from a book, or hear stories from people, but it is not the same unless you do it yourself.

Do it while you're young, or make some kind of plan to do it smartly. Don't go fools rush in. Where did you want to study?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I've been working abroad for the past 3 years in Korea, and now will be doing the same in Japan come April. It is a lot different to live in a country than to actually just visit on vacation because you get a sense of a real reality and people treat you like they would really treat a person. On vacation people treat tourists differently (at least in my experience) than those who are actually working there. I can read about a country from a book, or hear stories from people, but it is not the same unless you do it yourself.

Do it while you're young, or make some kind of plan to do it smartly. Don't go fools rush in. Where did you want to study?
    I'm thinking about the three places. Sydney, Australia, Tokyo, Japan, or London, Uk. I want to go to all three of those places before i die. I believe they would be the most fulfilling to go to. I heard a lot of schools offer studying abroad programs.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I'm thinking about the three places. Sydney, Australia, Tokyo, Japan, or London, Uk. I want to go to all three of those places before i die. I believe they would be the most fulfilling to go to. I heard a lot of schools offer studying abroad programs.
    I think almost every major university has an exchange program. You just need to check to make sure it links with your major or else it'll be an extra year of study.

Master Guru
    I think almost every major university has an exchange program. You just need to check to make sure it links with your major or else it'll be an extra year of study.
    Oh that would suck bad. I wonder how long is the typical stay? Semester?
    Also, plus rep for everyone in here.

16. Likes Nitey likes this post
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Oh that would suck bad. I wonder how long is the typical stay? Semester?
    Also, plus rep for everyone in here.
    Depends on the university and the program. What is your uni and major? Also check with your guidance councilor at your uni and ask them who the sister schools of the uni are as they have special exchange programs designed for this exact situation.

Some are for a semester and some are for a year. Every school is different. I know my university had exchange programs set up with unis around the world, varying from a semester to a year. It was expensive though. If I remember correctly the price to go to our sister school in Japan was almost 10K, that included residence.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    In my opinion, studying abroad sounds all fine, but I personally wouldn't do it. It's not only expensive, but I am not fond of flying at all. However, that is just me and what you chose to do is none of my business.

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Master Guru
    Depends on the university and the program. What is your uni and major? Also check with your guidance councilor at your uni and ask them who the sister schools of the uni are as they have special exchange programs designed for this exact situation.

Some are for a semester and some are for a year. Every school is different. I know my university had exchange programs set up with unis around the world, varying from a semester to a year. It was expensive though. If I remember correctly the price to go to our sister school in Japan was almost 10K, that included residence.
    Rcc. Well, i can take out student loans so it won't be too bad.The experience has to be worth it.

@Lady, i have never flown so i don't about it, however, i would want to.

Dedicated Member
    Gap year.

Dedicated Member
    Rcc. Well, i can take out student loans so it won't be too bad.The experience has to be worth it.

@Lady, i have never flown so i don't about it, however, i would want to.
    Flying economy sucks, especially on long flights.

As someone who travels to Asia often, I think if you can find a good exchange program and you can afford it, then go for it.

Even if you don't get into an exchange program, you should travel sometime. It really broadens your view of the world.

Thread Information