Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Help me create my gaming wish list

I got a new PS3 for Christmas and is my first move into proper gaming (I do have a Wii) for about 10 years. Therefore I am behind and have a lot of catching up to do. I would like to create a list of games I should buy (not necessarily recent releases) based on what I enjoy.

Please ask questions to help filter my list.

I have played and loved Uncharted 3 and also loved the early GTA games, so my list starts as follows

Wish List
    • Uncharted 2
    • Uncharted 1 (is this available for PS3?)
    • GTA IV Complete Series
    • MSG4
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • LA Noire
    • Assassin's Creed 2 & 3
    • Infamous 1,2 & 3
    • Far Cry 3 (is it worth getting the first two as well?)
    • Resistance 1,2 & 3
    • Hitman (which version should I get?)
    • Mafia II (was there a Mafia I?)
    • Saints Row: The Third
    Last edited by Spook's Dad; 01-05-2013 at 16:40.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    MGS4 - this game is epic. hit up any review and they will tell you the same
    be warned though. the cutscenes are LONG!

to complement MGS4, you can get the trilogy (i think it is) all on one dice (again i think its on one disc) none of these are current gen. HD version of old games.

if you like RPG's:
    Oblivion - personally loved it compared to skyrim. Auriel's Ascension takes hold of me and does not let go
    be warned, the animation system is crap. not bad, but utter garbage by today's standard still a fantastic game nonetheless

Demons Souls - if you want a bit of a challenge: or its sequel Dark Souls
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Holy moly! Where to begin?

Assassins Creed Ezio Trilogy (AC 2, Brotherhood, Revelations included), 3
    Batman: Arkam Asylum & Arkham City (best Batman experience to date imo)
    Dead Space 1 & 2 (closest thing we have to survival horror since Resident Evil sold out and started sucking $#@!)
    inFamous Collection (has 1, 2 & Festival of Blood (sandbox super hero game, awesome!)
    Resistance 1, 2, 3 (good shooter, the first is the best, followed by the 3rd then 2nd)
    Killzone 2, 3 (two solid FPS games)
    Red Dead Redemption (GTA in the wild west, AMAZING!)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution (half FPS, half RPG, ALL awesome)
    Bioshock 1, 2, Infinite (last one out later this year. Great FPS/RPG)
    God of War Collection (has all FIVE GoW games)
    Saints Row: The Third (wacky GTA type game...crazier!)
    MGS 4 + HD Collection (As Mr Fiji recommended! LEGENDARY series)

There are a lot more I could list...Do you like RPGs? FPS games? What kind of stuff do you want to be doing in games?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Oblivion- if you want a beautiful world with amazing combat and awsome Characters

Skyrim- If you want a dark world in a civil war, dragons and more awsome characters

Metal Gear either MGS V or MGS: Phantom Pain- A game off many possibilities.Now with that said their is no direct name for MGS V yet. So is it MGS V or MGS:Phantom pain, we do not know yet

Dark Souls- If you like games like that

Assassin's Creed 2 or 3, avoid the others- These two are the best and i woud go for AC2 is awsome with great wee surprises. AC3 is on another level and focus on the u.s.a and all in between

GTA V- THIS IS AND WILL BE THE BESTEST GTA GAME OF THE SERIES TO DATE AND CAN NOT BE BEAT

Last edited by claud3; 01-04-2013 at 12:23.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Yes Uncharted 1 is on ps3.
    You could also try the Infamous games(both only on ps3)
    There is also the God of War series(all are now avaliable for the ps3)
    Those are just some of the ps3 only games I like but there are many multi-console gamesthat are worth playing. Batman Arkham Asylum & Batman Arkham City(both are awsome I liked Asylum better)
    Also there is DeadSpace 1&2 (2 more awsome games)
    Just a few ideas hope they help.

This is a great start, I shall go through these responses in detail this afternoon.

I specifically got a PS3 to play games like GTA so I guess I like First Person, Open World type games? Assuming these are the right descriptions of this type of game. I am not sure what version / editions of GTA to start with (I am happy to play old ones while waiting for GTA5 to come out).

What is an RPG game?
    What would you describe Unchartered 3 as?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    A rpg game is a role playing game, were you take the role of a person that can explore every corner of the world to your advantage and use it... It involves like dragons, wizards, ghosts, kings, soliders

That's how i see a RPG
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    An RPG stands for Role Playing Game

this generation specifically has been favourable to the WRPG. W standing for Western

a WRPG is simply called that because its catered more to those in the western world. you and me. thus, it is a more action oriented RPG experience.

yes, he does say 2006

in an RPG you your self create a Character and then take him/her on a journey all of your own. don't want to do the main quest line. that cool, you can become a mage instead. etc
    you pick your play style; archer, swordsman, battlemage, assassin. you choose your equipment; heavy, medium, light. you go where you want in a HUGE open world.

Skyrim is a lot more polished than Oblivion. but not a captivating if you ask me
    Both these games are part of The Elder Scrolls line of games from Bethesda.
    for comparisons sake, here is Skyrim compared to its predecessor above

of course, this generation being the wonderful amazing generation that it is. you also get hybids of all genres

for example:
    Mass Effect series
    Action RPG.

Valkyria Chronicles
    Third Person Turn-based Strategy Role Playing Game

Uncharted 3 would be classed as an Action Adventure game.
    GTA would be classed as an 'Open world Action/Adventure' game.

to add a little to the confusion:
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    you ass +rep for showing me up in front of a cool guy and putting your point across that you know more than me

i hate you sir

jk

nice work in getting a better answer to his question than i did

10. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    you ass +rep for showing me up in front of a cool guy and putting your point across that you know more than me

i hate you sir

jk

nice work in getting a better answer to his question than i did
    i do apologise my generous sir

but my excitement got the better of me in the heat of the moment
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'll augment the info already added with some terms you may find in the forums:

FPS: First person shooter (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Borderlands etc) - ou see the game out of your characters ees, usually just seeing your gun on screen.

TPS: Third person shooter. You're shooting $#@! but you can see your character on screen as opposed to just his gun.

MMO: Massive multiplayer online. This is usually an RPG that you play with many other gamers online.You team up and quest together etc.

Hack n slash: These are games like God of War, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. The game consists of you beating $#@! up in 3rd person with allmannerof cool attacksand combo possibilities.

Platformer: A game that consists of running around, exploring and jumping on platforms!...quite broard really lol (Sly Racoon, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter are good examples)

UGC:
    User Generated Content - term given to games that allow gamers to create and share their own content for the game. LittleBigPlanet and inFamous 2 are the most well known for this feature on PlayStation, along with games like ModNation Racers and LBP Karting which allow you to create/share your own vehicles and tracks.

DLC: Downloadable content. Usually new features, extra levels, skins or just a code that unlocks content on the disc ($#@! you CRAPCOM you $#@! suckers! trololol)

Survival Horror: a dying breed of game. If you played Resident Evil 1, 2 or 3, or Silent Hill, then you know this term. Games are usually scarey and focus on giving you little resources to kill the monsters.

Open world/sandbox: GTA! Large environment to explore.

I'll add more when they come to mind.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-04-2013 at 14:25.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i do apologise my generous sir

but my excitement got the better of me in the heat of the momen
    you kick while I cry on the floor

Well all forgiven and I believe that fact you got over excited with your gaming acknowledge

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    The 10 games I would get for PS3:

1) Final Fantasy VII - I'm starting my list with two classic Japanese RPGs from the mid-1990s. The first, Final Fantasy VII, was a massive success in the gaming world and has a huge cult following. It's nice to go back and play a game before they were inundated with Quick Time Events, high quality cut scenes, big budget voice acting, high resolutions, etc. This game can be had for $10 from the Playstation Store, and it'll give over 40 hours of gameplay.

2) Xenogears - Another PSOne classic with an incredibly indepth story and battle mechanics that were unlike others at the time. The game, while ugly at times when it zooms on the sprites, was one of the most memorable I've ever played.

3) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - This is Need for Speed at its best, imo. Unlike the new Most Wanted, this version of Need for Speed isn't an open world experience. Your races are chosen from a map, you are rewarded new vehicles as you progress through the game, and it features two 'stories'... one as the racer, and another as the cop, each leveling to 20. It's a fantastic game.

4) Jak and Daxter Trilogy - This is a PS2 game pulled from the age of innocence, recently remastered and ported to the Playstation 3. The game is simple in it's humor, great in its gameplay, and is a timeless platforming experience. I enjoyed this one much more than Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank.

5) Red Dead Redemption - This game holds my all time "most memorable moment in gaming" award. Everything about it -- gameplay, controls, story, music, environment, art -- is top-notch and helps flesh out an amazing experience. The 'Game of the Year' edition comes packed with the expansion which infuses a Zombie apocalypse into the game world. It's made by Rockstar, the geniuses behind Grand Theft Auto, and is often called, "Grand Theft Horse"

6) GTA IV: Complete Collection

7) Journey/Flower/Flow Collection - Each of these games are short and unlike anything you've likely played before. They're gorgeous... and Journey, the main feature of the collection, was overloaded with awards in 2012. This will be a hit-or-miss title for most, but I think it's necessary gaming just so people can see what games can be without hand holding and excessive narration.

Battlefield 3 - Everyone loves a First Person Shooter, so get this. Your friends will say, "No bro! Get Call of Duty!" You're better than that! In fact, you should probably stop talking to your friends if they suggest CoD as a "good game"... just play Modern Warfare 1 and you'll know what all subsequent releases are like.

9) Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - Surprisingly fun and incredibly addicting golf game. This game can be brutally punishing for making a simple mistake, but it's incredibly satisfying when you can pull out a win from skillful playing.

10) Rock Band 2: Special Edition - The music playing genre is pretty much dead, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fun with it. This is one of the greatest ways to pass time and is super fun when you have friends over. The game takes awhile to master and with four instruments and several difficulties per song, there's a lot of content to experience. You can also buy songs from the Playstation Store to expand the game if you wanted.

Honorable Mentions:
    * Assassins Creed: Ezio Trilogy is a series of good games, but the story is so convoluted and bland at times, there's not much incentive to play through all three games. The multiplayer games on Brotherhood and Revelations is worthwhile.
    * Like Mario Kart? Check our Modnation Racers or Little Big Planet Karting. Reviews give Modnation Racers higher marks, but LBP Karting is probably better online since it's a newer game.
    * Check out Little Big Planet 1/2. Decent platforming can make for an enjoyable experience. I guess the best part of this game is the content creation that allows the community to create more to the game. I played through them once... but I played them when they were first released and the user content was pretty weak at that point.
    * Borderlands 1/2 are a great infusion of the FPS and RPG genres, heavily loaded with violence and lewd content.
    Last edited by Chickenooble; 01-04-2013 at 15:17.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    In regards to some of the best ps3 content is going to be going on sale for example resistance series well be being sold with all 3 games in one be on the look out for that you picked an awesome time to get a PS3 there are so many deals!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well what ever you decide, you are in for a treat

With all that recommend games to you.. But please turn up to the forum from time to time, so we know you are still alive and can actually post with your fingers lmao

Superior Member
    Welcome to gaming on PS3!

There are also many free games to download on PS+ and to welcome you to the forums I have PM'd you a Playstation Plus 30 Day Free Trial so you can experience them.

Happy gaming

Greatness Awaits

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Ah..if only I could turn back the clock and be you. I'd go for Oblivion and Skyrim and lock yourself away for a year in gaming bliss.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    PS+ offers free games as well great point rich!

I current have ps+ love it

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    PS+ offers free games as well great point rich!

I current have ps+ love it
    Get a damn Vita and get twice the value! You wouldn't even need to buy a game for it, you'd have Uncharted, Gravity Rush and MK right off the bat.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    GET THIS!!

I just pictured it up 40 bucks with over 10 bucks of DLC content as well!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Dedicated Member
    Gran Turismo 5 is a good shout if you are into racing simulation games. The academy edition features a substantial chunk of the additional downloadable content they have added since the game was released. That should keep you occupied for a while.

With Uncharted, the first and second game can be brought as a bundle.

There are plenty of games to choose from, the reviews section is quite a good place to check out to see how highly rated the more recent games are.

Credit to THUGGEDOUT for the Sig

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Oh man. You are in for a treat!!! There are so many awesome games over the years that you have missed out on. Congrats on your PS3. Here are some that I can suggest off the top of my head. I will surely add more later to help you out.

Fallout 3 (One of my all time favorites this generation)
    MLB The Show series (If you are into sports, not necessarily baseball, check this one out. Hidden gem among sports titles.)
    Red Dead Redemption
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Gran Turismo 5
    Wipeout HD
    Assassin's Creed Trilogy
    Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 (This one receives a lot of flak but I love it.)
    God of War 3 (Still on of the best looking PS3 titles to date as well as amazing game)
    Dead Space 1 & 2
    L.A. Noire
    Darksiders
    Dragon Age
    Infamous 1 & 2
    Little Big Planet

Will update. But this should get you started for now.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

This is brilliant, thanks guys. The bigger list the better because I am hoping to get some of the games second hand so will be relying on what is available at the time. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll update the list in the opening post.

Ps I must say of all the forums I have ever been on this is the most welcoming and helpful.

25. Likes StevenW likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Stick with us at PSU and we will look after you.

Luring you into a false sense of security before we drag you to the underwater cave muahaha.

Superior Member
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Red Dead Redemption
    Assassin's Creed
    Killzone 2
    Vanquish
    Twisted Metal
    inFamous
    Demon's/Dark Souls

Thread Information