Soldier 95B

Microsoft buys media-streaming, home automation tech for Xbox

Microsoft has bought promising startup R2 Studios, which has previously worked on media-streaming and space-age home automation technology.

The freshly-inked deal will see R2 Studios' patents put to work in Microsoft's Xbox division, Wall Street Journal reports.

Microsoft did not disclose how much it paid for R2 Studios, although the report states that technology rivals Google and Apple were also courting the company.

Less than two years old, R2 Studios is headed up by Blake Krikorian, creator of TV-streaming service Slingbox. The business had been working on top-secret technology for displaying digital media on TVs.

It had also previously dabbled in futuristic home automation, and released an Android app that let users remotely control their home's heating and lighting.

Could R2 Studio's technology be used in the next Xbox powered by Kinect 2? Microsoft is expected to announce details of its new console this year, with a release expected in time for 2013's busy holiday season.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-tech-for-xbox

Sounds awesome to me, so long as they continue with game focus as well.

If new xbox is heading the direction i want (device that connects all the other devices TV, PC, cell phone and etc), then i may just buy new xbox for this sole reason than just to play games

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Everything is heading to the stream option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Everything is heading to the stream option.
    I imagine MS will do it far better than Sony since it has its own Pc platform.

MS does this right, many people like me are not going to care it has lot less core exclusives from its competitions.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Sounds interesting, can't wait to see what the outcome is.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Master Poster

I really think in the next 5 to 10 years you wont have a console box under your tv.
    Your cell phone/tablet will replace your xbox and pc.

Some people wont like it but Streaming and Mobility is the future
    soon will be gone the days of plugging in a "game console" and buying game disc to play at home on tv..
    This will happen within this next console cycle.

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Not a big fan of that rather have separate devices (phone,tablet,home) that connect with each of through Bluetooth or the cloud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i will keep an eye on how this goes and i will see if the $#@! stream is actually apealing to me
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    i will keep an eye on how this goes and i will see if the $#@! stream is actually apealing to me
    Why is out a $#@! stream. Seeing as Google and Apple were both vying for the company as well and it was founded by the creator of the sling box its probably the opposite of $#@!.

Unless your one of those misguided gamers who only wants a machine to play games,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thread Information