Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Opinion: Sony's Next Console Won't Block Used Games

The great used game debate is back on the table. This time, a user on NeoGAF has discovered a patent that would theoretically allowSony to prevent hardware
    How far we've come.

(Playstation4, Orbis, or any other consoles that the company hasn’t confirmed yet) from playing used games. You can read the full patent here.
    This is far from the first time we’ve heard the rumor that next-gen consoles plan on restricting used games. As Kotaku points out, these same rumors were around back when the Playstation 3 was first announced. It didn’t happen in 2006, and I don’t think we’re going to see it in 2013 either.

Sony wants the hardcore gamers. As Xbox moves more aggressively towards TV, Sony appears to be moving after the traditional gamers and a more mature audience partial to games like The Unfinished Swan. This traditional gaming audience has been clear about its hatred for used games restrictions. Sony’s made some questionable business decisions before, but a move this alienating would be a bridge too far. I tend to believe SCEA president Jack Tretton when he says he is “totally opposed” to blocking used games.

What Does Sony Need To Do To Be Successful With Its Upcoming

PS4?
    QuoraContributor

Sony's Latest Patent Could Wipe Out The Second Hand Games Market

Ewan SpenceContributor

I don’t think this tech is going to be used for a carte-blanche ban on used games. Manufacturers can work on that by pushing digital downloads anyway. Instead, I hope it will be used for a more reasonable response to the used game “problem” – finding ways to reward first time buyers while giving people with used copies ways to play as well. Most likely, this is going to look a lot like online passes.

That means that the same sort of DRM questions that PC gamers and developers have grappled with for years are coming to consoles in full force. There are bound to be massive blunders, furious fans, and maybe a few crippled franchises along the way. Developers might want to see used games disappear entirely, but that’s not happening. Let’s hope that technology like this can be used to figure out these questions in a way that benefits consumers.

Sony is in a tough spot right now. The Vita isn’t exactly soaring. The company as a whole is struggling. Playstation is now, arguably, the company’s strongest brand, and if Sony makes a move that compromises its next home console, it could be putting itself in serious trouble.

That doesn’t mean I’d be buying Gamestop stock anytime soon. Whatever happens with the next console generation, the second-hand game market is going to look a lot less lucrative.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...ck-used-games/

so the debate is back on again, wait it really never left... why did they even drop this bombshell back in 2010 of not having backward support at all

i guess it got us all talking about it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Operative word here being opinion. Time will tell.

El Presidente
    This would apply to games a person wants to borrow from a friend I think. Which would suck because I do borrow from friends. We will see how it plays out.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    the story was back in 2010/2011 that any games of old even ps3 games

were blocked from being able to play on the PS4, you needed a code to unlock them to play. All you could play was a demo off set game you wanted to play

you would have to pay and download the code from the PSN network of buy it in store like MS points and input it and then you unlocked the full game

Forum Sage
    This rumor seems to pop up a lot before a new generation approaches.

Veteran
    I couldn't care less if they do block 2nd hand games, I have never bought games that way, probably never will.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    I couldn't care less if they do block 2nd hand games, I have never bought games that way, probably never will.
    So you have never rented a game or borrowed a friends game either?

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member

Comapnies have a funny way of looking at things when it comes to trying to get more revenue. Wouldnt suprise me if MS and Sony went this route......but there is not much to be gained.

I personally rarely buy used games, i have bought maybe 2 or three in the last two generations, but i know of a lot of people that exchange games or sell games they are done with to either fully fund or partially fund for new games.

If these console makers are wise, that is a market they would be silly to kill
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    that doesn't make the policy right though, does it?

it's complete bollocks really. i've said it once, and i'll say it again, i buy more NEW games because i can trade in my old ones. but the games industry and manufacturers really are too $#@!ing stupid to understand that.

and this is completely ignoring the fact that 1 second hand sale =/= 1 new sale. its not gutting the market like they believe. its almost as farcical as the music industry believing that 1 downloaded mp3 = 1 lost sale
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

10. Likes mistercrow, Fon likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    if sony does some kind of used game lock i bet they would have an option to pay 10 dollars to unlock it.
    this way they will make money..

Thread Information