Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

California court overturns rape conviction because woman was unmarried

California court overturns rape conviction because woman was unmarried

AFP Photo / Martin Bureau

A man convicted of raping a woman by pretending to be her boyfriend in the darkness of her bedroom was granted a retrial by a California appeals court, which overturned the man’s rape conviction.

Julio Morales was accused of entering a woman’s bedroom after her boyfriend had gone home and after the woman had fallen asleep, initiating sexual intercourse while she was sleeping and under the influence of alcohol. The victim, who was not awake to see her boyfriend leave, believed the rapist was the one she was dating – until a ray of light flashed across his face, revealing his identity.

The woman pressed charges and Morales was sentenced to three years imprisonment. But California’s Second District Court of Appeals lifted these charges and called for a retrial after examination of an 1872 law, which considers a crime a rape only if the sleeping or unconscious victim “submits under the belief that the person committing the act is the victim’s spouse.” If the victim had been married, the act would have been considered a rape, but the law does not protect against a perpetrator deceiving a woman into believing he is her boyfriend.

“A man enters the dark bedroom of an unmarried woman after seeing her boyfriend leave late at night, and has sexual intercourse with the woman while pretending to be the boyfriend,” the court said in its ruling. “Has the man committed rape? Because of historical anomalies in the law and the statutory definition of rape, the answer is no, even though, if the woman had been married and the man had impersonated her husband, the answer would be yes.”

The victim alleges that after she realized Morales was not her boyfriend, she pushed him away and screamed until he left. Morales’ lawyers claim that their client does not remember being pushed away and that he did nothing against the woman’s will.
    After claiming his conviction was faulty under the California penal code, Morales now has another chance at having his punishment lifted and walking free.

“We reluctantly hold that a person who accomplished sexual intercourse by impersonating someone other than a married victim’s spouse is not guilty of the crime of rape of an unconscious person,” the appeals court ruled.
    A similar case occurred in 2009, in which a Connecticut man pretended to be his identical twin’s brother and deceivingly raped his twin’s girlfriend, continuing after she tried to fight him off. Jared Rohrig, a 25-year-old police officer, surrendered to

authorities and was charged for first-degree sexual assault. Even though he surrendered, the man was able to avoid jail time with a plea deal. Rohrig served a 90-day home confinement and paid a $3,000 fee, but evaded the years of imprisonment that rape offenders are usually forced to serve in the US.

In 2010, a law resembling California's stopped an unmarried woman from pressing rape charges against a stranger in Idaho, who pretended to be her boyfriend. Idaho’s law was amended in 2011 to protect all women – both married and unmarried – from rape by men pretending to be their lovers. But since California has not revised its 19thcentury law, Morales may soon walk free for his deceitful actions while other rape offenders spend decades in the US prison system.
    http://rt.com/usa/news/court-rape-boyfriend-man-363/

I do not know about you, but rape is rape and i will stand tall on that opinion until i $#@!ing die...

This beyond a freaking joke and an old law actually makes out the woman is at fault for this evil crime and she has to pay for this for the rest of her life, because she was not married
    Last edited by claud3; 01-06-2013 at 15:26.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    California here we come...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    California here we come...

Oh noes!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

4. Likes Morganator, Ghost , $Greatness$ likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Goes to show you that the United States of America is a $#@!ing joke. We allow black and white print to overrule common $#@!in' sense. Feel bad for the lady. $#@!in' lame... can't get ass on his own so he takes it. He dodged a bullet in Stupidsville. Let them boys find out what he went to jail for and BAM, lights out for him.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

6. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    That's so $#@!ing sick...

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    the genius of law. No justice just precedent.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    In America the law protect the criminal not the innocent.

Elite Member
    Ah good old California with their "interpretation" and "context" of the law BS!

Their new state sign should be:

"Releasing criminal and disarming citizen since the birth of their Supreme Overlord Dianne Feinstein!"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i am so pissed that this is actual law anywhere in the $#@!ing world

A women was raped and she is the victim here and she is the one paying for this all because she is unmarried

were will this end, you can rape me and be free to do so. Because my $#@! has not been stretched by giving birth to a baby, because it's nice and tight for you to destroy
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    i am so pissed that this is actual law anywhere in the $#@!ing world

A women was raped and she is the victim here and she is the one paying for this all because she is unmarried

were will this end, you can rape me and be free to do so. Because my $#@! has not been stretched by giving birth to a baby, because it's nice and tight for you to destroy
    It's some old law that has been uncovered by some slick lawyer, no doubt it will be changed soon. Unfortunately, there are all sorts of laws on the books in each state that don't make much sense.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Man they are so many dead laws that aren't enforced I remember when I was a public defender I would always have my assistants look into that for me with cases that had no chance of a favorable judgment. This is one of the few cases I've heard or read of that it worked!

Gotta love law I expect some women rights group to get involved in this $#@! soon lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    they are dead for a reason or are they pulled out to protect peado's and rapist

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    they are dead for a reason or are they pulled out to protect peado's and rapist
    They are called dead laws however can be enforced at anytime. One of the more interesting ones fall under the flag laws on how the american flag is displayed.

A close friend of mine and I were talking about doing a reality show on us driving around enforcing these laws me being the good cop and he being the patriotic over the top guy lmao

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i know here in the uk their are dead laws like other countriesn that can be brought back to life and be enforced for stupid reasons... But for this it's basically saying that any one that rape's can upon this law or others like it, to have their case thrown out or contest for a retrial

It makes no sense

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Every country has stupid outdated laws.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-7618201.html
    1. Wearing armour in Parliament.

A law passed in the second year of Edward III’s reign barred anyone from entering Parliament or any other assembly wearing armour. While this might seem obsolete, it would also prohibit politicians from bringing guns to Prime Minister’s questions, so may be for the best. Imagine how much more damage Michael Heseltine could have caused if clad in steel.

2. Keeping a whale from the King

The Bottlenose Whale that stranded itself up the Thames in 2006 should have been offered to Her Majesty, according to an act of 1322. The law states that “whales and great Sturgeons taken in the Sea or elsewhere within the Realm” shall belong to the sovereign. A national fish-hunt began in 2004 after Welsh fisherman Robert Davies sold an endangered sturgeon, having been told by Buckingham Palace that he could “dispose of it as he saw fit.”

3. Beating a carpet in London

The Metropolitan Police Act of 1839 forbids the beating or shaking of any carpet, rug or mat in the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Police. An exception is made for door mats – strictly before 8am – but, in an early blow against littering, Londoners should avoid throwing “coals, stones, shells, bricks or other materials” into the street.

4. Hanging your washing across the street

Fines of up to £1000 await the citizen who tries to hang clothes on a line across a street, according to the Town Police Clauses Act of 1847. The same law prohibits leaving any “furniture…cask, tub, basket, pail, or bucket” in the street, or performing any cask maintenance thereupon.

5. Minding a cow while drunk

The Licensing Act of 1872 forbids anyone to be drunk while in charge of a cow or steam engine on a public highway. Disorderly rustlers may be apprehended and are liable for a penalty “not exceeding forty shillings”. Unlike some others, the section has not been amended to fit the modern sentence scale, raising the awkward question of conversion rates for anyone attempting to prosecute.

6. Firing a cannon near a house

The law does not look kindly on anyone who fires a cannon (“or other firearm of greater calibre than a common fowling-piece”) within 300 yards of a dwelling. But statute is surprisingly lenient: offenders will only be fined after a warning that their bombardment is causing “annoyance”, and then only up to £200.

7. Starting but not finishing a railway

In the 1860s, businessmen rushed to fund and build new railways – until rampant speculation caused the banking crisis of 1866 and wiped out dozens of projects. Only a raft of ghost legislation – special acts authorising railways that were never completed or even begun – now testifies to their existence. The Commission has singled these out for repeal.

8. Knocking and running

The children’s game of Knock Knock Ginger (or Ding Dong Ditch in the USA) was apparently such a menace in the 19th century that Parliament made it illegal to “wilfully and wantonly disturb any inhabitant” at their door without lawful excuse. By the same law, compacting ice and snow on the street into a slide is strictly forbidden.

9. Running a farm on your doorstep

Would-be guerrilla farmers had best beware the laws against keeping pigstys in the street, as they are barred from feeding or foddering “a horse or other animal” in a public thoroughfare. A fine of £500 can likewise be levied against those who slaughter cattle there.

10. Eating the Queen’s Swans

Technically, all unmarked swans in British waters belong to the Queen and are reserved for feasting. But every year teams of boatmen go about the Thames, tagging the flocks to save them from her dinner table in an official ceremony known as ‘swan-upping’. They compete with a royal Swan Marker, who, confusingly, leaves the swans he catches unmarked. Thankfully, none of them are eaten anymore.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-07-2013 at 01:03.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Overturned on the basis of Sharia law?

Ridiculous.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    you see you see, that is why i live in the UK are dead laws are normal lmao

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    A lazy quickie quickie $#@!ie action, he could at least put on a freaking mask and i would not be so annoyed by this inaccurate depiction off a rapist

I mean how soft in the head must he have been to fault at that point off forgetting a mask

Common sense on the rapist part, he let all rapists down and should be banished from the rapist society

For shame for shame lmao

Veteran
    i know here in the uk their are dead laws like other countriesn that can be brought back to life and be enforced for stupid reasons... But for this it's basically saying that any one that rape's can upon this law or others like it, to have their case thrown out or contest for a retrial

It makes no sense
    They are basically laws that were made a long time ago and slipped through the cracks.... almost everyone forgot about them. Not that the laws are invalid, but they are basically laying dormant. This one will be removed from the books soon, no doubt about that.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    All know oldie laws are crazy and out off place in modern day judgement, so we all have to accept they will be used for real evil acts

El Presidente
    What a wonderful world we live in isn't it?

@keefy those are mostly harmless laws, apart from firing cannons around someones house those are just silly laws. We're talking about rape, violent physical harm and it's disgusting such a law exists there or anywhere in the world.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i agree, why a law for that and not one for the protection for women

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Nothing surprises me about California anymore.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    maybe the fact they have dogs has handbags and run half naked topside

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    to reiterate it sucks but the law is the law. Somebodies lawyer has done a very very good job and is getting a massive pay rise. People get off on technicalities all the time.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Thread Information