Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Ask your DUST 514 questions here

Ask questions about DUST 514 here.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-26-2013 at 11:11.

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    i can answer fijan's one

its because the UE3 is a relatively cheap engine and that ir has the capability to be heavilly modded due to its comptibility with 3rd party software

oh and ccp has given no inclination of removing kb/m support

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Cheers! Well, IIRC, I read on one of the beta forum threads that originally they were using a different engine to UE. At some point they changed over...

I think Mr Dell wants to know if m/k, Move and DS3 players will play together or if they will be segregated, (well that's what I think he meant).

Have a think if you have any questions.

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    no move kb/m and ds3 will all be on the same server everything in dust and eve will be on the same server come tomorow

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    ghost the best plan imho is to mix up the questions start off with some easy ones that you know they can answer and start throwing in the big ones like when we can expect to see things like the player in the mcc being a com or new types of vehicles or when we will be able to get to null sec and start taking worlds?

some small ones may be if they are happy with where the rewards per match are if they have plans to awarding players isk during corp matches, proxy chat, larger groups, 3rd person areas for dust mercs, what our guys will look like out of the suit?

oh and a guy in my corp wants to know when we are going to see more about the PvE stuff?

ask them if they plan to un-nerf some of the weapons becasue they were'nt op they were supposed to be better because they costed more

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think Mr Dell wants to know if m/k, Move and DS3 players will play together or if they will be segregated, (well that's what I think he meant).
    Yeah, that's what i meant. I'm just curious how they would competitively balance the use of different controllers. Playing with ds3, i feel, puts you at a competitive disadvantage.
    Ok, noob question, anybody know how to deploy the nano hive with m/k? Also is there a way to change the default keys?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    ohh yes, i've remembered one now

do they have plans (long term) to port the core game to Unreal 4? or will the UE3 still be used on coming consoles. i understand dust isn't even out of beta yet, but as their long term goal is to shift onto PS4, it would be kinda interesting to see what they have planned on that matter.

also, how big are the maps going to be, any chance they're ever going to attempt MAG size levels?

Quote Originally Posted by theschizogenious View Post
    i can answer fijan's one

its because the UE3 is a relatively cheap engine and that ir has the capability to be heavilly modded due to its comptibility with 3rd party software

oh and ccp has given no inclination of removing kb/m support
    that may be so, but the engine hasn't shown itself under any dev to be up to the scale CCP are looking for. i remember seeing the trailers and thinking "proprietary" but then seeing that 'Unreal' logo, i instantly knew what the game would actually be like.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    the way that it is shaping up is that when dust is ported to the ps4 it will probably come with an engy upgrade but ccp probably wont make the port until a significant number of its dust players have switched over

PSN ID
    zombfreak666
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellman View Post
    Yeah, that's what i meant. I'm just curious how they would competitively balance the use of different controllers. Playing with ds3, i feel, puts you at a competitive disadvantage.
    Ok, noob question, anybody know how to deploy the nano hive with m/k? Also is there a way to change the default keys?
    no way to change the keys yet, most ppl using the ds3 feel they have the advantage, and dust and eve are in a single shard universe meaning there is no segregation of any kind

Forum Overseer
    I'm not trying to troll here but could someone please tell me one good thing about this game? Other than the fact that it's Free-to-Play...actually I'm not seeing that as much of a plus after playing this game.

From the video gameplay that they showed a year ago or whenever...it looked like a 7, maybe an 8...a surprising 9 at most? But wtf is this!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not trying to troll here but could someone please tell me one good thing about this game? Other than the fact that it's Free-to-Play...actually I'm not seeing that as much of a plus after playing this game.

From the video gameplay that they showed a year ago or whenever...it looked like a 7, maybe an 8...a surprising 9 at most? But wtf is this!
    To do this answer any justice you need to break down the big picture_

CCP
    CCP is an Icelandic developer responsible for the 10 year old subscription based spaceship MMO EVE Online. It is the only MMO to see continual year on year growth and now has a dedicated userbase. Over a decade the game has had 16 free expansions and generally gets 2 a year now. The fee for playing EVE Online is between €10-15 a month. If you make enough money in game you can buy your subscription with the in game currency, ISK. 450,000x€10 a month and you get a fair idea where CCP is financially. It has offices it Reykjavik Iceland, as well as Shanghai, the US and UK.

EVE Online
    An amazing spaceship MMO Sandbox game. You are a pilot and your sandbox is a universe comprised of over 7000 star systems. The whole EVE user-base exist on just one single shard server, there is no EU, US and JP servers, each with multiple shards, so it creates a kind of interactivity that you won't see in other games. The game is just as much about industry as it is about piloting, and there are many different jobs you can do, from mining, manufacturing, distribution, security, exploration, piracy, military etc. Everything in EVE, including the ships etc has been mined, produced and then sold on the market (items don't just spawn into the market). Part of the industry includes mining planets...This is where DUST 514 comes in.

DUST 514
    Free to play MMORPGFPS game that supports Move, mouse & keyboard and dualshock controller. It has a Vita app and it will make an appearance on all future Sony consoles. The players of DUST now share that same single shard universe with EVE pilots. We are all part of New Eden. In time PS3 mercs will fight to conquer planets for their corporation. Once won, they will then be charged with defending it. It has been hinted that these defences will include an industry aspect to DUST 514, which means that DUST will also offer gamers an industry role. Orbital strikes from EVE and Orbital cannon strikes from DUST 514 mark some of the early integration plans of the game, however CCP has said often that boarding (or forcefully breaching) EVE ships si something that is very possible in the future, further bluring the segregation between platforms. However, linking a console FPS game and a PC spaceship game in real time on one server is something that has never been done and in order to not destroy 10 years of EVE development, CCP has to tread extremely carefully. Unlike most devs who just have to balance one game, CCP has to balance two games separately and then both games in unison.

I can't say everything there is to say about this game to do it justice. However, in an industry where people $#@! and moan about lack of innovation, a developer steps up and dares to do something completely revolutionary, and to offer it for free, and still gets so much hate. A lot of this comes from the fact that people see the beta as a demo. DUST 514 is in beta, and in the truest sense of the word, so of course it is rough, its far from perfect but it's a HELL of a lot further than it was 6months ago and CCP has committed to supporting this badboy very much in the weeks,months and years to come. Infact it said some time ago that it has 5 years of content already roadmapped, with another 20 years of ideas. This is where the "games as a service" + "F2P" really shine...cause CCP will only ever work to make EVE and DUST 514 better and better and to integrate them more and more, and again, for DUST...for free. I am saying it now, in a year or 3, DUST 514 is going to be the biggest most unique FPS game and it's going to mind $#@! people when they see what the Universe evolves into. I'm jumping on board now and giving the time investment because I believe this game is going to be amazing...and I will be a veteran then, a visionary who could appreciate the potential enough to stick with it. I'm already sticking with it...I haven't played anything else other than DUST and EVE for the past few weeks.

Check out the media page in my sig, lots of coverage.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    I wish I would have started playing before you went to CCP, I have so many questions now.

Anyway, to Sufi's point, right now, in terms of pure FPS gameplay, Dust can't compete with the likes of BF, CoD, and Halo. It currently doesn't fit into the AAA league. That being said, the plan is that it will (hopefully) get to that point in the near future. The thing it has over those other games though is all the RPG, MMO, and persistent elements. Corps fighting for control of planets, interacting and effecting the EVE universe, having a unique character etc.

As a big FPS player, I would have been turned off by Dust almost immediately if I wasn't also really into MMOs. I'm used to the way those develop over time, so I see what CCP intends this to be, it just isn't there yet, so I have a feeling that a lot of new people trying it out will also not really be into it.

13. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix336 View Post
    I wish I would have started playing before you went to CCP, I have so many questions now.

Anyway, to Sufi's point, right now, in terms of pure FPS gameplay, Dust can't compete with the likes of BF, CoD, and Halo. It currently doesn't fit into the AAA league. That being said, the plan is that it will (hopefully) get to that point in the near future. The thing it has over those other games though is all the RPG, MMO, and persistent elements. Corps fighting for control of planets, interacting and effecting the EVE universe, having a unique character etc.

As a big FPS player, I would have been turned off by Dust almost immediately if I wasn't also really into MMOs. I'm used to the way those develop over time, so I see what CCP intends this to be, it just isn't there yet, so I have a feeling that a lot of new people trying it out will also not really be into it.
    You can ask me...I have read $#@! loads of stuff and seen $#@! loads of interviews, so I can try.

You're right, as it stands now it can't compete with those games as far as FPS gameplay. People will be turned off by how the game is currently. Many people are just short sighted, so fixated on the game's shortcomings now and they just aren't able to cast their minds to the future.

Playing EVE aswell now though, it kind of gives me a different perspective of DUST's future, and I'm just glad that I can be here for the journey.

Forum Overseer
    ok see now you've confused me even more. so this game is combined with other games? you know what Ghost, don't waste your time, i think it's too complicated for me lol.

My only question is this, will we ever see the Dust we saw in the target video a year or so ago?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    My only question is this, will we ever see the Dust we saw in the target video a year or so ago?
    The only answer to that is hopefully. The plan is for it to reach that quality and beyond. It's definitely not there yet and there is no guarantee that it will. Could be months, even years from now.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ok see now you've confused me even more. so this game is combined with other games? you know what Ghost, don't waste your time, i think it's too complicated for me lol.

DUST 514 and EVE Online are now one entity, ONE IP.

Two platforms, PC and console, ONE universe, ONE IP!

Two genres, MMO FPS and MMO spaceship game, ONE universe, ONE IP!

DUST and EVE players inhabit the same universe, on the same server. It really blows my mind to see this develop.

The game is a service, part of CCP's EVE IP and so will ALWAYS be improved upon...CCP won't stop bettering EVE and DUST ever. Our game will just get bigger, better, more in depth, nicer looking, better playing...The improvements will never stop because CCP want to offer the very best service/experience they can.

Forum Overseer
    Alright, I got that part but how do we know they will keep improving it...unless they re-release it on the PS4.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Alright, I got that part but how do we know they will keep improving it...unless they re-release it on the PS4.
    CCP CEO: If there is a PlayStation 4 – which I can tell you now I have no idea if there is – but if there was, we would build Dust for that console as well. It will most likely be a revision of the experience, as with all updates, and could allow people to play across PS3 and 4.
    Source.

CCP Game Designer Kristoffer Touborg (I interviewed him in Iceland too) : "Like Eve we want this game to run forever, so it'll be on PlayStation 7,"
    Source.

DUST 514 is here for the long run. CCP are working on the core gameplay elements now. They just want to get the underlying infrastructure down. After that they will start working on the details and cool new features...and some of the stuff they've mentioned is amazing.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-26-2013 at 08:37.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Sufi, i can't add anymore to what ghost has said, but in the short time i was in the closed beta Dust changed quite a lot. if it was rough when i got in, i don't wanna know what it was like before.

DUST has progressed significantly since the end of last year.

it goes without saying that CCP will carry this over to the next generation system. whats more? my merc will be waiting for me when i make the transition myself
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Sufi, i can't add anymore to what ghost has said, but in the short time i was in the closed beta Dust changed quite a lot. if it was rough when i got in, i don't wanna know what it was like before.

DUST has progressed significantly since the end of last year.

it goes without saying that CCP will carry this over to the next generation system. whats more? my merc will be waiting for me when i make the transition myself
    That persistence is one of the defining points of my adoration of this IP. I don't plan on ever buying another military FPS from the CoD or BF lines again. I want to have THE GREY CARDINAL on PS3 and then PS4, and to have my time playing games represented in one avatar in one game, not several avatars in several games. I stopped playing BF3 when 4 was announced. Why should I keep playing and advancing when I will have to start at level 1 when the next iteration comes out. DUST will just keep on expanding and growing, iterating on itself instead of a new entity...for free.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    could someone please tell me one good thing about this game? Other than the fact that it's Free-to-Play...actually I'm not seeing that as much of a plus after playing this game.
    The current open beta is just an average online shooter. The only thing that sets it apart is the deep RPG aspect it has. There's tons of skills and equipment to earn.

But keep in mind we're still playing the beta. The official release will be in 4 or 5 months from what I understand. The corporation battles haven't even been set-up yet, where corporations will need to defend and take over planets in one shared universe...

Also, the sound, visuals, and presentation are supposed to all have pretty significant upgrades in the next update. So the official release should be a lot more polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Many people are just short sighted, so fixated on the game's shortcomings now and they just aren't able to cast their minds to the future.
    If people are deciding to never try the game again, then I agree. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to wait until the game is more developed.

My older brother is very interested in this game, but he doesn't want to try it until the official release. I think that's partly because we both played the open beta of MAG very extensively, and when the game was officially released, we ended up not playing it that much since we were obsessed with it during the beta period.

So his view is this: If he's going to spend weeks and months playing DUST, then he wants that to happen when the game is better. Not when it's in beta. Definitely a reasonable decision.

However, if you know you'll be playing this game for years and years, then there's no reason not to start playing now.

will we ever see the Dust we saw in the target video a year or so ago?
    This video?

Or this video?

The first video's visuals are definitely better than the second one, which is not much better than what we currently have.

If you're referring to the first video, the PS3 version will probably end up looking like that after numerous updates. Obviously the inevitable PS4 version will look even better.
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-27-2013 at 02:08.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    Hey guys. I'm wondering how much passive sp do we get? I read somewhere that its about 500,000 passive sp a week but I couldn't find more info on the subject.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zswordsman View Post
    Hey guys. I'm wondering how much passive sp do we get? I read somewhere that its about 500,000 passive sp a week but I couldn't find more info on the subject.
    Nah, it's gotta be more like 75,000. If it was 500,000, then what's the point of playing the game? lol

BTW, it seems the next update will provide a major graphics upgrade and planetary conquest aspects....

MMORPG.com: How far away is Dust 514 from completion once it merges with Singularity?

Brandon Laurino: CCP runs a true "game as a service", as such, there is no "completion" per se. Just as EVE Online has constantly updated and iterated in the course of its first decade - with all of its free major expansions and things like complete graphics overhaul - so too will DUST 514 continuously update and iterate, with constant updates including content and features, and of course, continuing to expand on the real time connection between EVE Online and DUST 514 with exciting new possibilities. For example, in the next big update to DUST 514 from what is currently live, there will be a major graphics update, as well as bringing online new features for player controlled planetary conquest between DUST 514 and EVE Online. That said, we have a very specific plan for the Open Beta period, and what our goals are for moving DUST 514 from Open Beta to essentially "1.0" this year. It is not CCPs way to just keep a product in an infinite, indefinite "beta", just as EVE Online has been out of beta and running as a "complete" product and live game as a service for almost 10 years, despite major updates and iterations the whole time.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...in-a-Tree.html

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If people are deciding to never try the game again, then I agree. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to wait until the game is more developed.

My older brother is very interested in this game, but he doesn't want to try it until the official release. I think that's partly because we both played the open beta of MAG very extensively, and when the game was officially released, we ended up not playing it that much since we were obsessed with it during the beta period.

So his view is this: If he's going to spend weeks and months playing DUST, then he wants that to happen when the game is better. Not when it's in beta. Definitely a reasonable decision.

However, if you know you'll be playing this game for years and years, then there's no reason not to start playing now.
    Oh of course. I didn't mean that as a blanket remark on everyone, but I've been in the beta forums since about E3, and there were people playing already who were QQing because of unrealistic expectations of what the game should include now.

Also, nice find Ixion. I heard elsewhere too that the next update would bring significant changes. I'm also expecting the PvE element to come in then. In the latest trailer there are 'Rouge Drones', they will feature in some kind of (probably) horde mode type thing.

LOVE this trailer. We got the premier in Reykjavik.

26. Likes Zswordsman likes this post

PSN ID
    matt1y77
    So when it comes out, will it be on a disc, or will the game on my ps3 just become the full game with an update.

I have played a couple of games on it, and gotta say it seems quite smooth for a MMO game, but I find all the info that it gives you every time you are in the menu`s is to much!
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-31-2013 at 11:08. Reason: advertising

Thread Information