Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Guru
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Bought a new gadget - G155 mobile gaming environment. Now Pic Heavy

Was browsing around afew days ago and came across the GAEMS G155 mobile gaming unit. At the time the RRP was 300 so left it but amazon had it for 120 so thought I'd give it a shot if I don't get on with am sure I won't lose out too much on it.

Here it is:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...w_bottom_links

Don't get me wrong, it won't replace my Vita (its not truely portable as it requires a power outlet) but ive got some long haul flights coming up and some free time to give it a thorough going over to make my mind up with it. Specs and other reviews ive read sound positive and the only down side at the time was the price.

It should be being delivered tomorrow so will give it afew hours and report back with my impressions.

Anybody else have one or thought about it?
    If I get on with it I wouldn't mind getting a dedicated PS3 for it rather than disturbing my current setup but thats a long way off if I do like it

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 01-10-2013 at 19:30.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I didn't even know something like this existed tbf. Looks pretty neat and useful for some people I'd imagine

I like the pics where it shows dudes just walking around with it like a briefcase =P

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Static console gaming on the way, quite good I must say. I also didnt know there was such a device which allows that.

Forum Guru
    Well I completely lost today
    Last nights night shift screwed me up pretty bad and I've only just come round from the land of nod!

Fortunately my parents address is my default dispatch address with amazon so I didn't miss the courier
    Going round to pick it up shortly

Forum Guru
    Right then, first impressions, un-boxing and setup pics coming up.

Firstly, the quality from the packaging it came in to the unit itself is very high and robust.
    It feels well made and manufactured to a high standard. The rubber feet on the outside of the case are nice and thick giving the case good stability when standing on its side.
    It isn't as heavy as I initially thought neither and the rubber carrying handle is comfortable, a must if you are going to be lugging this around

Upon opening the case itself, there is 2 Velcro straps to secure the console, a foam base for the PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 Slim and on the reverse a base for another style xbox. I have a Super Slim PS3 which I know this was not designed for but wanted to give it a go. Fortunately the Super slim also fits in the cutout of the foam base and they straps do not interfere with the sliding tray and you can still access the drive to load games etc. I was concerned the super slim may still slide around abit in the box but the straps and foam base hold the console nice and tight with no movement at all. Another plus is no vents on the console are covered so there is still plenty of air to get around the console.

There is 2 'socks' either side to store controller/leads and with the PS3 not having a power unit like the xbox this is handy for a 2nd controller or some other bits to store (a Vita)

Also in the box was a EU&UK plug adapter along with a short HDMI lead which obviously saves having a coiled up HDMI or having to buy a shorter lead.

So far, 9.5/10 for me with regards to impressions and quality. The only downfall IMO is the case could have been a bit narrower as the console and screen do not utilise or fill the entire box so there is still plenty of room either side of the console even with a power lead and controller. If it wasn't quite as wide it could have been a little more user friendly on Journeys, like a train for instance where you do not want to have it over hanging on the person sat next to you. I think I'm probably just being picky really as I can not find fault anywhere else to be honest.

Here are the opening and setup pics. I will post gaming and in use pics later.

Last edited by GazzaGSi; 01-12-2013 at 18:14.

Forum Guru

Slim nice and snug:

Tray open with no interference from straps:

Short HDMI:

Both the accessory socks:

Overall, very happy. I don't think I'd have paid the RRP but I am now certainly glad I picked one up while it was discounted.

Another thing that could have helped the design is how it opens.
    How it opens now, the hinge is on the bottom of the back panel, if you see the pics you will understand better what I mean. I think it would have been better opening from the top of the back panel, as this would mean the case would have a smaller footprint when open, again meaning you wouldn't need a bigger space to open it up.
    Last edited by GazzaGSi; 01-10-2013 at 19:36.

Superior Member
    Great detailed review, I never even new about this product until now.

Greatness Awaits

Forum Guru
    Thanks Rich. Just got afew more pics with the screen protector off and hitman fired up.
    Off to work now (bloody night) but will update the thread with gaming pics and first use impressions on my lunch hopefully.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Guru
    Sorry for the delay, was having problems with getting my pics on to photobucket but all sorted now.

Firstly, screen protector off.
    The bezel has a very much glossy/polished look about:

Some pics with lights on and off but without the light I could get better shots of the screen:

XMB

Hitman Absolution loaded:

Conclusion:
    It looks ace, I had to tweak some settings like brightness and contrast to start with but after that it's played flawlessly.
    Really pleased with it and can see it getting a lot of use
    Even if you're not traveling its great just to open up in the comfort of your own sofa rather than going to your games room or disturbing the family who may be using the TV etc.
    The screen is really sharp, detailed and a great size for portable gaming.
    The PS3 is snug in the straps, there is storage for wires and controllers and the case is made to a high quality.
    Its comfy to carry around and has thick feet for it to stand upright on safely.

The 2 negatives for me are, the PS3 doesn't pull its power from the monitor so you need 2 power outlets to hand, or carry a 2-1 adapter around with you also. I was hoping there would be a lead from the PS3 to the monitor which would draw its power from there.
    As I mentioned earlier, I would have liked the case to have been reduced in width slightly, almost laptop size so the bezel of the screen was almost the edge of the casing. I know its mainly down to storage for leads/the controller and I guess for protecting of the screen too but a smaller casing could have made it even more portable for that journey that you'll think is it too big take or is it ok...?

My overall score for this is 9/10. Its solid, well built, has a excellent screen encased in a sturdy shell, suits a variety of consoles which are kept firmly fixed in the case, enables portable gaming with your PS3 or 360 collection, gives an excellent sound from the built in speaker or dual headphone socket and is all stored in a case smaller than the hand luggage allowance for a plane.
    Stopping this from getting a 10 from me is the lack of power for the PS3 from the screen meaning two outlets are required, whether that means carrying a 2-1 adapter or finding two plug sockets, its still a shame. And finally the design of the case could be a little smaller removing some unnecessary width, even with wires and a controller stored it could be a tad smaller.

For anyone considering it, I can't recommend it enough. Whether it'd be for that long commute on a train or long haul flight, for yourself and the kids at a caravan park or just for yourself sat in the comfort of you own sofa, this offers true PS3 gaming for wherever you may need/want it.

Last edited by GazzaGSi; 01-12-2013 at 18:06.

Thread Information