Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

The history of cloud computing

Told using a 50s-style cartoon infographic

The folks over at Big Fish Games have put together a fantastic infographic that details the history of cloud computing, from its humble beginnings as an idea in the 1950s, through to services like Gaikai and nVidia's own entrance into the cloud gaming market.
    Check it out below. Click for the full, large version.

http://pc.mmgn.com/News/the-history-...old-usin-28208

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Imagine if in the future you can just buy a pc game from a service like steam, download it and having an extremely fast internet connection which would be regular those days play a game on max settings and 60 frames per secound and not even needing powerful hardware as the game is being streamed from a monster server.

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Imagine if in the future you can just buy a pc game from a service like steam, download it and having an extremely fast internet connection which would be regular those days play a game on max settings and 60 frames per secound and not even needing powerful hardware as the game is being streamed from a monster server.
    Couldn't imagine anything worse. When you have no internet it is bye bye games!

I'm a hardware guy, I love my hardware. The only type of streaming that I am interested in would be if the new Nvida Shield would be able to stream games from my hardware over any internet connection. I| dread the thought of moving to a future where games can only be streamed.

Nothing will ever replace playing games on a local machine. It is a good idea, just it seems better on paper than it would in theory. For me at least.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post

I'm a hardware guy, I love my hardware. The only type of streaming that I am interested in would be if the new Nvida Shield would be able to stream games from my hardware over any internet connection. I| dread the thought of moving to a future where games can only be streamed.

Nothing will ever replace playing games on a local machine. It is a good idea, just it seems better on paper than it would in theory. For me at least.
    Im sure at that time pretty much everybody will have internet connection and it will be a lot more stable. Performance wise its so much better as you wont have to waste money on good enough hardware.

Forum Sage
    But you still have to assume you'll constantly have an internet connection. It is a good idea for those who don't want to build a PC but I am happy to spend money on a gaming PC that I know I can use when I want to and not when a service dictates.

So yeah, if you don't want to spend the money/build your own PC cloud gaming could be a viable alternative however it won't ever replace building your own computer. No matter how good the connection is there will always be delay. A delay i'd rather not have.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Interesting stuff I guess Nintendo satelliteview gets no love it launched in the 80's.

I have high speed internet I prefer to have the hardware I never been a PC guy from the outside looking in just seemed very time consuming.

I assuming we may see cloud gaming integration with future game consoles.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The best use for cloud gaming in my eyes is as a demo system no need waste time downloading then install the game instead it takes 10-20 seconds and you are at the title screen.

Cloud gamings biggest problem is latency in the controls, so far the services I have tried (Onlive and Gaikai) have unacceptable levels.
    We have latency inonine gaming but its never been in the controls it feels like playing with vsync on permanently at 60Hz.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-10-2013 at 15:07.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The best use for cloud gaming in my eyes is as a demo system no need waste time downloading then install the game instead it takes 10-20 seconds and you are at the title screen.
    That's actually a very good use for it. I'd happily take that as an option.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Why would you even need your own hardware if you will be able to run everything maxed out at 60 fps, just because you dont like being connected to the internet? Sooner or later internet will be a real necessity and you will need it for pretty much everything.

Forum Sage
    Because I don't want to have my gaming dictated by a service or my ISP. What happens if the internet in my area goes down for a day, a week or longer? I'll tell you what happens - I wouldn't be able to play any games.

It's not being connected to the internet i don't like. It's what happens when i'm not connected to the internet?

As it said in Keefy's post, the is just too much delay between the time i input a control, the control then goes of to the server, puts in the action and eventually gets sent back to my screen. Why would I want to put up with that when I could build my own machine to run games upto 120Fps and not be affected when the internet goes down.

You keep missing that point.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I was referring to the future in my post and I mentioned that. Internet stability is only improving and I am pretty sure it will be as necessary as hot water or light in a house and those things rarely just stop working as far as you pay for them.

Forum Sage
    But the point is that they can still stop and unplanned failures can happen. Near my friends house the exchange got damaged and she had no internet for 2 weeks - that would be 2 weeks without gaming for her if she would use a service such as this.

What happens when the streaming service goes down for maintenance? What happens if the service stops, then what?

As i said. Streaming games is a good idea and while it would be helpful the thought of it being the only way I could play games sounds like a nightmare. I will and always will build my own computer so i can play games locally. Playing remotely doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    You can find negative things in pretty much everything and even more in local gaming then in streaming. So you keep mentioning the issue with the internet service going out for a period of time and for that period not being able to play. Well guess what happens if electricity in your region gets shut then what benefits do you have in local gaming? Lets say it would be 2 weeks like in your example. If you were playing on a stream all would happen you wouldnt be able to play the game while if you were playing locally and electricity got shut in that moment, first of all if you were playing on a desktop your save game or progress could get corrupted because of the unexpected shut down of the computer which was not even planned and got just frozen. Your laptop would jut run out of battery and will be useless as the desktop. If there would be a storm and you would be playing and suddenly a thunder hits your house, your hardware will burn out and you wont only able to play games but you will also lose the money you invested in your high end machine. If you would like to play all the new games at maxed out settings and at 60 fps you will have to buy new parts every 4 months and those parts would be very expensive and at the end of the year you would find yourself wasting 5k bucks for hardware. The desktop which you are going to use will also consume much space while you could just use a computer as small as a mac mini for stream gaming. You see local gaming has also many issues and even more than stream gaming.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 01-10-2013 at 16:29.

Forum Sage
    You can find negative things in pretty much everything and even more in local gaming then in streaming. So you keep mentioning the issue with the internet service going out for a period of time and for that period not being able to play. Well guess what happens if electricity in your region gets shut then what benefits do you have in local gaming?
    None... But if your electric has gone down you ain't playing nothing. Local or streaming so I don't see your point.

Lets say it would be 2 weeks like in your example. If you were playing on a stream all would happen you wouldnt be able to play the game while if you were playing locally and electricity got shut in that moment, first of all if you were playing on a desktop your save game or progress could get corrupted because of the unexpected shut down of the computer which was not even planned and got just frozen. Your laptop would jut run out of battery and will be useless as the desktop. If there would be a storm and you would be playing and suddenly a thunder hits your house, your hardware will burn out and you wont only able to play games but you will also lose the money you invested in your high end machine.
    With that kind of thinking, why buy anything? A bolt of lightening can hit my house right now and $#@! up my TV, my fridge $#@! it could short circuit my whole house and I would be left with nothing apart from news papers and board games.

If you would like to play all the new games at maxed out settings and at 60 fps you will have to buy new parts every 4 months and those parts would be very expensive and at the end of the year you would find yourself wasting 5k bucks for hardware
    Seriously, stop talking $#@!. The yearly upgrade rumour is nothing more than a fabricated myth. My current PC was built In the back end of 2009 or the start of 2010... I haven't upgraded it once and I'm still playing most if not all new games at 1080p above 60FPS. So much for buying a new hardware every 4 months. Pro tip - don't buy entry level crap and you get a lot of mileage out of your hardware.

. The desktop which you are going to use will also consume much space while you could just use a computer as small as a mac mini for stream gaming. You see local gaming has also many issues and even more than stream gaming
    A gaming desktop doesn't take up much space at all. If your even remotely serious about PC gaming you wouldn't even entertain the thought of streaming all of your games. As Keefy said, for demos it would be good. But that's about it.

BBK. Tapatalking
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-10-2013 at 16:48.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Internet connection going down?! Pshhh, that is just ridicu

***CARRIER LOST***

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    Internet is a luxury Electricity is not.
    Leccy is needed to power the lights so we can see and cook our foods nd most improtant of all boil kettle for a cup of tea.
    Chances are if the leccy goes off it will get fixed within 12 hours because it is far more impoortant than phone or cable lines.
    If it takes longer than 18 hours we can get compensation by law. Same goes for gas.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-10-2013 at 17:03.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Internet is a luxury Electricity is not.
    Leccy is needed to power the lights so we can see and cook our foods nd most improtant of all boil kettle for a cup of tea.
    Chances are if the leccy goes off it will get fixed within 12 hours because it is far more impoortant than phone or cable lines.
    If it takes longer than 18 hours we can get compensation by law. Same goes for gas.
    Electricity is still required for gaming and if it doesnt persist it causes more issues then the absence of the internet even though its not a luxury. I dont know about England or USA but in Switzerland The longest absence of the internet i experienced was 20 minutes and thats it. We had no electricity longer than the maintenance of cablecom or swisscom.

@BBK
    I highly doubt your 2010 machine can run latest games maxed out at 60 fps on a decent resolution (1080+).

Also the benefit of game streaming is that no installation data is required. Do you like waiting for hours in order to download the required files and then wait till the game installs which takes ages on a regular HD which is very slow. LOL i would just push one button and stream that $#@! right away.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 01-10-2013 at 20:51.

Forum Sage
    @BBK
    I highly doubt your 2010 machine can run latest games maxed out at 60 fps on a decent resolution (1080+).

Also the benefit of game streaming is that no installation data is required. Do you like waiting for hours in order to download the required files and then wait till the game installs which takes ages on a regular HD which is very slow. LOL i would just push one button and stream that $#@! right away.
    There are two games I haven't been able to run at the highest settings.

The Witcher 2: I wasn't able to run that with Ubersampling - I had everything else on high and had well above 90fps at 1080p
    Arma 2: the game is notoriously known to be coded poorly so I run it in a Very high/Normal hybrid and get about 70fps at 1080p

The latest game I bought was BO2 what I run everything maxed at 120fps.

Everything else is on the highest settings they can go on with the highest resolution I can use. 1920x1080. and more often than not I run them above 60fps because I do t use V-Sync so you are incorrect and your statement remains bull$#@! - you don't have to upgrade that often and if you do upgrade every 4 months you are either retarded or buying $#@! PC parts.

As for how long it takes. I have a very fast internet connection and download most my games from Steam in about half an hour then installation takes only 5 minutes and that isn't even on my SSD. Don't know why installing takes you so long if you are using steam. It takes no more than 5 minutes from the game being downloaded to actually playing the game. This is why I have moved to a digital collection as the speed and convenience is much better than physical

As I said I don't think an enthusiast would even bother using streaming as their main source of gaming. It's a $#@!ing ridiculous notion.

BBK. Tapatalking
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-10-2013 at 22:50.

Supreme Veteran
    Those direct X installs in steam are bull $#@! every game asks you to install them regardless of if oyu have th elatest updates or not. I never install them unless the game doesn't work properly.
    There is a file within the game folder called install.vdf open it up with notepad and add 2 slashes in front of "run process"

Looks something like this
    Code:
    "installscript"
    {
    	"Registry"
    	{
    		"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Bohemia Interactive Studio\\ArmA 2 Free"
    		{
    			"string"
    			{
    				"main"		"%INSTALLDIR%"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	//"Run Process"

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    There are two games I haven't been able to run at the highest settings.

The Witcher 2: I wasn't able to run that with Ubersampling - I had everything else on high and had well above 90fps at 1080p
    Arma 2: the game is notoriously known to be coded poorly so I run it in a Very high/Normal hybrid and get about 70fps at 1080p

The latest game I bought was BO2 what I run everything maxed at 120fps.

Everything else is on the highest settings they can go on with the highest resolution I can use. 1920x1080. and more often than not I run them above 60fps because I do t use V-Sync so you are incorrect and your statement remains bull$#@! - you don't have to upgrade that often and if you do upgrade every 4 months you are either retarded or buying $#@! PC parts.

As for how long it takes. I have a very fast internet connection and download most my games from Steam in about half an hour then installation takes only 5 minutes and that isn't even on my SSD. Don't know why installing takes you so long if you are using steam. It takes no more than 5 minutes from the game being downloaded to actually playing the game. This is why I have moved to a digital collection as the speed and convenience is much better than physical

As I said I don't think an enthusiast would even bother using streaming as their main source of gaming. It's a $#@!ing ridiculous notion.

BBK. Tapatalking
    LOL man of course you are going to be able to run games like bo2 on highest settings, that crap can run maxed even on 2007 systems. You better play games like dawn of war 2, just cause 2 and test drive 2 which are badly optimized and require a very powerful hardware. You wont be able to run them at all, not even speaking about newer releases like anno 2070 etc.
    And as I said if you play real games and no $#@! like bo2 your install time will take triple the amount of time of regular installs.
    Those finishing install anylisis take $#@!ing ages on pretty much every system, of course faster on SSD but still.

Forum Sage
    Just Cause 2 runs fine on my laptop let alone my $#@!ing desktop lol and that only has a 3GB GT555m and it's running it at 1600x900 what's not even far off 1920x1080.

As for TDU - that game plays fine maxed on my desktop and if it wasn't such a crappy racer it would've remained on my HDD but I uninstalled it after about a hour.

There are many games that I've bought from last year, such as PC specific games (Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2,) that both run maxed out at 1920x1080 and every other game I've bought was a console port what also runs well above 60fps on max settings

I have no interest in Dawn of War or Anno so I won't be buying them but I know for a fact that I'm playing most if not all games on higher settings.

I also know how long it takes for my games to install after downloading and it doesn't take any longer than 5 minutes and that is on a regular old HDD. Infect it probably takes me longer to move it from my SSD to my HDD on my laptop.

For someone who often claims they know little about PC hardware I'm finding it confusing that you are trying to tell me what my PC can and can't do.
    I don't know why you are trying so hard to try and justify Streaming as a viable option. It's just not.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Im not saying that your computer cant or can run, im saying that its very doubtful that you have such results with your old computer. Could you at least post the specs of your desktop cause there is no way I will believe in such bull$#@!. Im not justifying stream gaming as a viable option as it already is and we are getting to the point where not only some certain amounts of information will get streamed but the whole game. We will come to a point where only some games cache will be stored on the computer and afterwards pretty much everything will get streamed.

Forum Sage
    The important bit of my desktops are 2 x ATI XFX 1GB HD5870'S black Edition, i7 (forgot the specific model, it was mid range i7 though) @ 3.20Ghz and 8Gb DDR3 triple channel 1800Mhz ram. My computer cost around £1500 when I first built it - it was a high end machine at the time.

Whether you want to believe it or not. I am playing games still at high/max settings.

Regardless, I doubt that we will ever move to a future when all games will be streamed. Do you really think the hardware companies will just phase out? There will always be a demand for for PC building
    Last edited by BBK..; 01-13-2013 at 11:34.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude

Cool

I hate cloud, because they hold rain

on topic:

Great thread, never understood cloud and would never use it or be interested in it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    Cloud does have some advantages and uses in gaming. I like it that I can play a game at home on my desktop and I can pick up my laptop and and be in the same place and continue my gaming uninterrupted. Saving on the cloud is great and makes my playing much easier than hacking up to a USB.

I just hate the idea of streaming devices such as Onlive as I don't want to have to pay a service to play games. $#@!. That.

Thread Information