Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    The difference is MS are laughing their way to the bank. Pretty sure they could have easily pulled even further ahead with price dropping the 360 for a while now. Its just a question of what they will do with that money next gen. For me it will be about who has the best online, exclusives dont really entice me as much as they used to (apart from MGS).
    the issue i had with Sony is that they pursued sales so hard whilst making losses when the company was struggling. Never ever saw that as a sane decision.......but they have been ace in the games department regardless of how they have sold.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I dont buy that excuse at all. In fact every exclusive Sony released in 2012 flopped. Yet UC3 the year before had big sales. That alone disproves your theory. Like mynd said a great game is a great game. So in 2012 PS3 gamers bought 3rd party games instead. Most of the PS3 exclusives that flopped over its lifetime did so because they were mediocre games and/or didnt appeal to the vast majority of the PS3 userbase. Yet games like GTA, RDR and COD and other 3rd party games for example were big hits on PS3.
    think it had something to do with the way they advertised their games.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Sales never ever determine the mediocrity or quality of a game. Sales are more of just a sign that the game had good marketing. It is rare that a game sells solely through word of mouth.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by acryllicaltair View Post
    the issue i had with Sony is that they pursued sales so hard whilst making losses when the company was struggling. Never ever saw that as a sane decision.......but they have been ace in the games department regardless of how they have sold.

think it had something to do with the way they advertised their games.
    I doubt that. In this age of internet access game advertisments arent as crucial. Most people know where to go to find out what games are on their console and to read the previews and reviews as well as see screenshots and videos. People dont rely on TV advertisements to find what games are coming out for their console.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-17-2013 at 17:54.

Soldier 95B
    I have to agree with Rad. I think it is more to do with the games than it is the advertising for the lackluster 2012.

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member

I doubt that. In this age of internet access game advertisments arent as crucial. Most people know where to go to find out what games are on their console and to read the previews and reviews as well as see screenshots and videos. People dont rely on TV advertisements to find what games are coming out for their console.
    they did not generate hype around most of their big games. You never see anything in the scope of what Halo/COD/Gears of War hype. You will be surprised at how many people will get a game just because of the hype generated or how many people are getting it.

After all, Advertising is supposed to get people excited about a product
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by acryllicaltair View Post
    they did not generate hype around most of their big games. You never see anything in the scope of what Halo/COD/Gears of War hype. You will be surprised at how many people will get a game just because of the hype generated or how many people are getting it.

After all, Advertising is supposed to get people excited about a product
    I dont buy that explanation for the reason I stated. UC3 wasnt advertised much on TV but sold over 5 million copies. Lots of 3rd party games got no advertising and did better than alot of Sonys exclusives. I saw advertisements for PS All Stars,Starhawk and LBP Kart Racing yet they all flopped. So I'm just not seeing evidence of your theory.

If reviewed matter as much and marketing didnt, then MS would not have spend hundreds millions a year on ads. And people would not buy tons of games like Halo 4 and GT5 despite the fact that their review has dropped.

Your remark basically goes against everything that has been proven in marketing so far.

I dont buy that explanation for the reason I stated. UC3 wasnt advertised much on TV but sold over 5 million copies. Lots of 3rd party games got no advertising and did better than alot of Sonys exclusives. I saw advertisements for PS All Stars,Starhawk and LBP Kart Racing yet they all flopped. So I'm just not seeing evidence of your theory.
    Lets make something clear. UC3 would have sold alot better if marketing was better. If your review was so important explain games like Halo 4 and GT5 which has received tons of sales for its reviews.

Same goes for practically most well advertised wii games.
    Last edited by FableMaster; 01-18-2013 at 01:49.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Well Uber Madness it sounds like youre just making excuses for poor sales of PS3 exclusives. Most 3rd party games do better than alot of those failed PS3 exclusives. Thats including 3rd party games with very little advertising so your excuse just doesnt pan out. The majority of PS3 gamers just chose not to buy those exclusives plain and simple. Gaming site reviews are what the majority of average gamers in the real world actually go by when deciding what games to buy not TV advertisements. This is the internet age so those type of advertisements arent as crucial as they once were.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2013 at 04:57.

PSU Media Manager
    PSN ID
    King_Dank_Kush
    Only a matter of time. Sony had a 10 year plan set out before they launched the PS3. Much better technology behind the machine and its paying off.
    Best PS3 Website - PSU.com / CollegeOwlz - Sign up now - College Notes, College Textbooks, and Events.

Soldier 95B
    Well Uber Madness it sounds like youre just making excuses for poor sales of PS3 exclusives. Most 3rd party games do better than alot of those failed PS3 exclusives. Thats including 3rd party games with very little advertising so your excuse just doesnt pan out. The majority of PS3 gamers just chose not to buy those exclusives plain and simple. Gaming site reviews are what the majority of average gamers in the real world actually go by when deciding what games to buy not TV advertisements. This is the internet age so those type of advertisements arent as crucial as they once were.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to radgamer420 again.

Elite Member

Ummm, then how do you explain Battlefield 3 selling 17 million copies? By all accounts it is a mediocre shooter.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 01-18-2013 at 18:21.

Ancient

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    You mad bro? When the vast majority of a userbase chooses not to buy a game then yes it has done poorly and has failed. You certainly cant call it a success. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2013 at 20:22.

Ancient
    You mad bro? When the vast majority of a userbase chooses not to buy a game then yes it has done poorly and has failed. You certainly cant call it a success. lol
    360 70mill+
    PS3 70mill+

technically a vast majority, almost 90% of the userbase don't buy exclusives on both platforms

I know what you mean, but I don't think the words are correct
    they are successful for games, they are just not box office smashing blockbusters (probably the best term to use)
    I'm sure the developer of tearaway isn't expecting 10mill in sales & I'm sure don't either, so does that mean he is purposefully making a failed game?
    by definition alone Zelda is a failure compared to Mario, you see what I mean?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Ummm, then how do you explain Battlefield 3 selling 17 million copies? By all accounts it is a mediocre shooter.
    Same way. Gamers looked it up online, liked what they saw and read and bought it. Word of mouth did the rest. And 17 million people obviously disagree with you as to whether its a good shooter or not.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2013 at 21:22.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    360 70mill+
    PS3 70mill+

technically a vast majority, almost 90% of the userbase don't buy exclusives on both platforms

I know what you mean, but I don't think the words are correct
    they are successful for games, they are just not box office smashing blockbusters (probably the best term to use)
    I'm sure the developer of tearaway isn't expecting 10mill in sales & I'm sure don't either, so does that mean he is purposefully making a failed game?
    by definition alone Zelda is a failure compared to Mario, you see what I mean?
    Spin it anyway you want but Sony lost money on those poorly selling exclusives. They sold well below what the average game sells and it showed that most PS3 gamers did not care for those exclusives like they did UC3 for example.

Elite Member

Same way. Gamers looked it up online, liked what they saw and read and bought it. Word of mouth did the rest. And 17 million people obviously disagree with you as to whether its a good shooter or not.
    Didn't you click the links?

Average review score = 85 for PS3, 84 for Xbox 360
    Average user review score on both platforms = 7.4

And you're saying those scores are the reason why 17 million people bought the game?

OK. If that's true then why hasn't every game that scored better in both professional and user reviews sold more?

For example. Bioshock

PS3 = 94 average review score
    Xbox 360 = 96 average review score
    User Review average = 8.4 on PS3/8.7 on 360

So, why didn't Bioshock sell more than 17 million copies if online reviews are the primary reason people buy games as you suggest? Why has Bioshock only sold 3 million copies when the significantly lower scoring Battlefield 3 sold an astounding 17 million?

See if you can explain that without contradicting yourself.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 01-18-2013 at 21:49.

Ancient
    Spin it anyway you want but Sony lost money on those poorly selling exclusives. They sold well below what the average game sells and it showed that most PS3 gamers did not care for those exclusives like they did UC3 for example.
    SPIN?

I did not spin nothing, I said it how it is
    Last edited by TGO; 01-18-2013 at 21:51.

20. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Didn't you click the links?

Average review score = 85 for PS3, 84 for Xbox 360
    Average user review score on both platforms = 74

And you're saying those scores are the reason why 17 million people bought the game?

OK. If that's true then why hasn't every game that scored better in both professional and user reviews sold more? See if you can explain that without contradicting yourself.
    85 and 84 for review score averages is good. And thats what we're talking about here. Even 74 out of 100 isnt bad. You act like every game has to score 90+ to be good.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2013 at 21:54.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Battlefield 1 and 2.

Same reason UC3 did well at launch, sequels get a lot of their mojo from the previous games in the series.
    Look at Borderlands 2 for example.
    BUT a negative press can easily destroy sales (Dragon Age 2).
    IN the case of sequels, most people aren't looking for rave reviews, they liked the original, they are generally looking for reassurance it simply doesn't suck.

Between word of mouth, 2nd hand sales and most importantly the slow burner, sequels tend to come out of the gate blazing.

In the case of the PS3, most of their sequels flopped, which would tend to indicate the originals were simply not slow burners, or ultimately good enough games for people to spread the word about.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-18-2013 at 22:29.

Superior Member
    Battlefield sells because of name recognition. It's has a very loyal fanbase and people would have bought it regardless of reviews or advertising.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    who is this 'old man gamer', why do i recognise his name but he only has 149 posts?

he speaks sense. and not just in this thread.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Forum Sage
    I dont buy that excuse at all. In fact every exclusive Sony released in 2012 flopped. Yet UC3 the year before had big sales. That alone disproves your theory. Like mynd said a great game is a great game. So in 2012 PS3 gamers bought 3rd party games instead. Most of the PS3 exclusives that flopped over its lifetime did so because they were mediocre games and/or didnt appeal to the vast majority of the PS3 userbase. Yet games like GTA, RDR and COD and other 3rd party games for example were big hits on PS3.
    You're entitled to that opinion.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    SPIN?

I did not spin nothing, I said it how it is
    No you didnt.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow