Latest PSU headlines:

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 515 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Yeah, MS only beat Sony because Sony didn't bring its A game. If Sony had not fucked up, it would have been on top. MS ought to thank the gaming gods for Sony's folly.
    Yeah tbh I think if PS3 had launched at the same time at the same price as the 360 we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

2. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah tbh I think if PS3 had launched at the same time at the same price as the 360 we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
    If the PS3 had launched at the same time for the same price it wouldn't have a Bluray drive, HDMI, or a built in hard drive, and may not even have had Wifi.

You can play guessing games all day long, but that doesn't change what actually happened. MS wanted to launch first and sacrificed some tech to do it. Sony wanted the highest tech console but sacrificed launch date and price to do it. Both choices were necessary to meet their goals.

The PS3 would have been a very different thing if it lacked the HDMI and Bluray drive that were not ready when the 360 launched, and had cut the built in hard drive to save costs like MS did. Who knows how well it would have sold.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I think your math is WAY off.

First of all, the 6.6 number is PS3 and PS2 combined sales.

Second, that is their sales from October 1 through December 31. Figure about 1 million of those were PS2s, and about 2 million of those 6.6 million came BEFORE Sony's 70million figure in mid November.

Which all means that Sony probably sold around 3-4 million PS3s in the second half of November and December, which would leave them at 73-74 million total. That would mean they are still around 2 million behind the 360, give or take a few hundred thousand.
    No my math is right, I just didn't take into account the "before November" bit
    I do however find it hard to believe Sony would cut 40% of theirs profits by discontinuing the PS2 if its selling that much though
    Still thats pretty close numbers don't you think
    Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    If the PS3 had launched at the same time for the same price it wouldn't have a Bluray drive, HDMI, or a built in hard drive, and may not even have had Wifi. You can play guessing games all day long, but that doesn't change what actually happened. MS wanted to launch first and sacrificed some tech to do it. Sony wanted the highest tech console but sacrificed launch date and price to do it. Both choices were necessary to meet their goals. The PS3 would have been a very different thing if it lacked the HDMI and Bluray drive that were not ready when the 360 launched, and had cut the built in hard drive to save costs like MS did. Who knows how well it would have sold.
    Well despite all that the PS3 has narrowed the gap to 1 or 2 million. With a year head start and being cheaper the 360 should have been able to keep the PS3 in the back of the bus by several million right up to the end. But despite those advantages it failed to do so.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Would have been a completely different story if the PS3 had sold as poorly as the 360 in japan of course. In western markets the PS3 has not gained on the 360 at all. Pretty much 1:1 sales for the past 6 years.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Would have been a completely different story if the PS3 had sold as poorly as the 360 in japan of course. In western markets the PS3 has not gained on the 360 at all. Pretty much 1:1 sales for the past 6 years.
    Yeah its going to be really tough for Sony to regain the US market next gen. The Xbox brand is solidly entrenched here. MS would have to royally screw up somehow.

Ancient
    Well despite all that the PS3 has narrowed the gap to 1 or 2 million. With a year head start and being cheaper the 360 should have been able to keep the PS3 in the back of the bus by several million right up to the end. But despite those advantages it failed to do so.
    Indeed if you can't kill the king when he is wounded you obviously will never take the crown and probably don't deserve to either
    MS is to Sony what Sega were to Nintendo

^^ American market is fickle, it can swing both ways
    Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 02-08-2013 at 18:46.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Well Yung says that Sony hasn't been successful because it failed to keep the massive marketshare from last gen. So Sony's current market-share is a result of Sony being unsuccessful as a console maker, not a result of MS becoming a solid competitor. And so, MS only got a head because of Sony's failure...Well this is just what I understood from his repeated sentiment.
    Except Sony (and the other companies) don't operate in a vacuum. Each companies decisions affect the others in various ways. Sony dropped the ball, MS raised its game and Nintendo had a 1 time resurgence.

Now I believe the total sales of all consoles this gen is higher than it was the previous generation.

But the breakdown of the sales is different, an no one company is as dominant as sony was with the ps2.

Now if you want to talk about success, that depends on how you define it. Is it simply making a profit, or do you need to do better than you did in the past to be considered successful?

If MS was interested in maintaining marketshare at all costs, then that would have been the case. But they chose to maintain their profitably, which makes sense to recoup all the money they put into the xbox. And it seems they are in a better position going into the next generation because of it.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Indeed if you can't kill the king when he is wounded you obviously will never take the crown and probably don't deserve to either MS is to Sony what Sega were to Nintendo ^^ American market is fickle, it can swing both ways Sent via Codec
    Very true. The American market swung from PS2 to 360 so it could still swing back over to PS4. Good point.

Forum Sage
    Very true. The American market swung from PS2 to 360 so it could still swing back over to PS4. Good point.
    I highly doubt that if sony maintains its Japan based focus with the PS4.

Europe is the only major territory in contention.

Forum Sage
    How was Sony more western focused with the PS2?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Your question isn't making much sense to me.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Lots of gunslinger games!

2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. His comment makes no sense.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Lots of gunslinger games!
    And PS3 has lots of FPS. And the PS2 had tons of JRPGs released in the US.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Your question isn't making much sense to me.
    You were saying how if Sony maintains their Japan focus with the PS4 it's less likely that the market will swing back in Sony's favor (rad was discussing a possibility of that happening based on the past.) So, I was asking you, how was Sony western focused with the PS2?

They were the market leader during that generation.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    And PS3 has lots of FPS. And the PS2 had tons of JRPGs released in the US.
    Actually has there been many "western" games except Red Dead?

I remember playing a Lucas Arts games years ago.....

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Actually has there been many "western" games except Red Dead? I remember playing a Lucas Arts games years ago.....
    I'm talking about western DEVELOPED games.

Forum Sage
    You were saying how if Sony maintains their Japan focus with the PS4 it's less likely that the market will swing back in Sony's favor (rad was discussing a possibility of that happening based on the past.) So, I was asking you, how was Sony western focused with the PS2?

They were the market leader during that generation.
    Because they were the lead console in that generation Sony didn't have to do anything. All 3rd party devs were essentially forced to support the ps2 if they wanted their games to succeed (thy didn't have to bring the games to the gamecube/xbox to ensure success)

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I'm talking about western DEVELOPED games.
    I know you are.
    But I aint

Lighten up peoples!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I know you are. But I aint Lighten up peoples!
    lol

Dedicated Member

Why do I not believe you felt this way in 2006 when the PS3 first launched?

Fact is, pretty much everyone on this forum assumed the 360 would be a total failure at the beginning of this generation. 4 year lifespan of the Xbox, only 25 million sold compared to the 110 million of the PS2. PS3 fans widely predicted that this would be the last generation of Microsoft consoles.

Didn't quite work out that way, did it? Instead, you're praying that after more than 6 years on the market Sony may finally come out of last place sometime before Sony and MS launch their next-gen consoles.

This despite the massive RROD problem that MS had, practically handing this generation to the proven market leader Sony. Just imagine if MS hadn't had that RROD problem. Imagine if MS had the same Bluray drive as Sony. Imagine if MS had launched with Kinect instead of waiting until year 5 in it's life to have it. Imagine if instead of a rushed to market system, MS had a system with a full years more development in it than Sony had.....

Welcome to next-gen.

Ancient
    ^^
    imagine if Sony didn't launch at $599
    Imagine if every media outlet wasn't putting the PS3 down every two days
    Or making a dedicated channel on their site not to the oldest, most loved games maker Nintendo or the 2 generation ruling PlayStation
    But to Xbox?
    Or the marketing push MS had in highstreet stores (the biggest game store in the UK had a whole floor just for the small amount of Xbox games they had)
    MS had fantastic marketing, media love, ease of development and a year heads start on top of their competition having everything that could go possible wrong happen to them.
    In short MS had a GTR with Nitrous and Sony Evo X that stalled, had tire blowout, had to pit in and still catched up
    If anything someone should make a "Hitler YouTube vid" on how the fuck MS fuckup such a easy win
    Although 360 is a success compared to Xbox
    But nextgen its gonna be back to square one
    Wii U is not counted out in my book, but Sony will have to fuck up again for MS to have as much chance they had this gen
    Then again they might prove themselves to not need it and make the Xbox version of the PS2 and dominate the market
    But please don't make out MS had disadvantages with the 360 because they didn't, they should have sold 30mill then Sony this gen or Sony should have sold 30mill less
    Take ya pick
    I'm personally don't know which console I'm getting nextgen, PS4 is said to be more powerful but its the games and MGS ain't exclusive as far as I know so its only Uncharted, GT and GOW holding me
    Lets the games begin!
    Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 02-09-2013 at 03:14.

Ancient
    Double post

Sent via Codec

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Why do I not believe you felt this way in 2006 when the PS3 first launched? Fact is, pretty much everyone on this forum assumed the 360 would be a total failure at the beginning of this generation. 4 year lifespan of the Xbox, only 25 million sold compared to the 110 million of the PS2. PS3 fans widely predicted that this would be the last generation of Microsoft consoles. Didn't quite work out that way, did it? Instead, you're praying that after more than 6 years on the market Sony may finally come out of last place sometime before Sony and MS launch their next-gen consoles. This despite the massive RROD problem that MS had, practically handing this generation to the proven market leader Sony. Just imagine if MS hadn't had that RROD problem. Imagine if MS had the same Bluray drive as Sony. Imagine if MS had launched with Kinect instead of waiting until year 5 in it's life to have it. Imagine if instead of a rushed to market system, MS had a system with a full years more development in it than Sony had..... Welcome to next-gen.
    lol Youre presuming to know alot about me and by doing so proving that you dont know nothing about me. I'm "praying" for Sony to come out of last place and have been for the last 6 years? lol Are you serious? And how do you know how I felt about all this is in 2006? I bought a 360 at launch genius. lol So basically youre calling me a Sony fanboy. Now thats rich. I've been often called a 360 fanboy on this forum many times in the past but I cant be both right? So basically youre just talking out of your ass. Also its been my experience that people who are quick to play the fanboy card are more often then not fanboys themselves or theyre just too childish to deal with opinions that differ from theirs. As for RROD it happened. No use speculating on how 360 would have sold otherwise. MS knowingly released shoddy hardware in a desperate plight to beat Sony to market and it cost them billions. It happened.....welcome to next-gen.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2013 at 05:34.

Thread Information