Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 414 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    If Sony doesn't put out the PS4 this year when MS releases its new 16 core (with 2 threads per core) console then they didn't learn the lesson from the PS3. Had they released the PS3 in 2005 they wouldn't FINALLY be passing the 360's sales at a time when new games will start winding down. They should abandon. The Vita.
    Yes they would have dominated last gen if they had got the console out earlier, no doubt.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yes they would have dominated last gen if they had got the console out earlier, no doubt.
    They wouldn't have had blu ray but the fact is, they had an extremely successful PS2 and they gave away half their fan base.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    They wouldn't have had blu ray but the fact is, they had an extremely successful PS2 and they gave away half their fan base.
    Yup, question is, how do they get it back?
    I think a system that is easier to programme for, that there dev studios can get games out for far quicker than they did for the PS3 is great start to doing it.

Super Elite

Yup, question is, how do they get it back?
    I think a system that is easier to programme for, that there dev studios can get games out for far quicker than they did for the PS3 is great start to doing it.
    I think they have to come out this year and launch with something big like an Uncharted 4.
    Also, agree with you on games coming out sooner. Of course people aren't going to plop down tons of cash for a system with very few games. I'd also like for them to avoid announcing games at launch that don't come out for 5 years. That's some bull$#@! right there.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 01-11-2013 at 19:28.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I think they have to come out this year and launch with something big like an Uncharted 4.
    Also, agree with you on games coming out sooner. Of course people aren't going to plop down tons of cash for a system with very few games. I'd also like for them to avoid announcing games at launch that don't come out for 5 years. That's some bull$#@! right there.
    Getting GT6 out within 12 months would be a must as well I think.

Super Elite

Getting GT6 out within 12 months would be a must as well I think.
    Agrees, 5 is one of the games I was talking about being announced too early. Of course those early announcements were probably done because they didnt have enough games after release. People bought thinking the games they wanted would be out quickly. Had everyone known it would take years, a lot of people would have waited to buy the PS3 and saves money. I can see why Sony did it but its kind of underhanded. Especially bad was announcing for Spring 2007 then delaying games constantly for a couple of years. If it takes your game a couple more years to come out then it was never really planned for 2007.

Veteran
    It seems like the nature of the business. It makes much more sense why they make those announcements so prematurely when you say it that way. As you said, people stopped waiting and started buying because of premature release windows or announcements.

It seems like the main offenders of today's development times are mainly the Japanese releases (which is understandable in some ways). From what I can gather, they have been MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, and The Last Guardian; the FFs being the worst offenders. One exception is Killzone 2, I suppose, though that's a special case since it was a pre-launch reveal that also marketed the console as a result.

As for the topic, I don't think PS3 has ACTUALLY surpassed X360 worldwide due to the variables explained earlier, but if PS3 continues to narrow the gap, it's only a matter of time before it becomes reality. 2013 is a relatively big year for PS3. There are both strong exclusive support (God of War: Ascention, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us) and multiplatform support dealing with numerous franchises that are historically more successful on PS3 (MGS: Revengeance, FF XIV, Lightning Returns: FF XIII, Tomb Raider, and maybe DmC). As Xbox continues to have low software strength, so I'm willing to bet the console will outperform Xbox globally by the end of the year.

All Sony needs this year is a solid holiday season solution in software that will be able to compete with Xbox 360's inevitable release of the next Dance Central for Kinect. As usual, Sony's lineup is top-heavy (Their biggest blockbuster titles are coming out in Q1 or Q2).

Better yet; if GT6 or MGS:Ground Zeroes can miraculously release this year (though unlikely), it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    It seems like the nature of the business. It makes much more sense why they make those announcements so prematurely when you say it that way. As you said, people stopped waiting and started buying because of premature release windows or announcements.

It seems like the main offenders of today's development times are mainly the Japanese releases (which is understandable in some ways). From what I can gather, they have been MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, FF Versus XIII, and The Last Guardian; the FFs being the worst offenders. One exception is Killzone 2, I suppose, though that's a special case since it was a pre-launch reveal that also marketed the console as a result.

As for the topic, I don't think PS3 has ACTUALLY surpassed X360 worldwide due to the variables explained earlier, but if PS3 continues to narrow the gap, it's only a matter of time before it becomes reality. 2013 is a relatively big year for PS3. There are both strong exclusive support (God of War: Ascention, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us) and multiplatform support dealing with numerous franchises that are historically more successful on PS3 (MGS: Revengeance, FF XIV, Lightning Returns: FF XIII, Tomb Raider, and maybe DmC). As Xbox continues to have low software strength, so I'm willing to bet the console will outperform Xbox globally by the end of the year.

All Sony needs this year is a solid holiday season solution in software that will be able to compete with Xbox 360's inevitable release of the next Dance Central for Kinect. As usual, Sony's lineup is top-heavy (Their biggest blockbuster titles are coming out in Q1 or Q2).

Better yet; if GT6 or MGS:Ground Zeroes can miraculously release this year (though unlikely), it's a done deal.
    Have you considered the possibility that the 360 doesn't have a ton of stuff coming out right now is because everything is going to be launched for the 720? No idea if true but it's possible. I really hope Sony launches the PS4 this year.

Is it safe to assume the PS4 will cost $400?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I am not really surprised by this at all, Sony always seem stronger on world sales
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'm pretty sure PS4 will be out this fall, their 2013 lineup to my knowledge is all coming in the first half aside from the likes of Puppeteer and whatnot, but even they launch after PS4, it'll be no different from when GoW2 released after the PS3, Sony can do that since they have so many studios.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    This is still going?

Ps3 > Xbox360

This is PSU

/thread =)

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    So, I've been right all along.

This generation really was a re-play of the Sega Genesis vs Super Nintendo gen after all.

13. Likes Nitey , AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    So, I've been right all along.

This generation really was a re-play of the Sega Genesis vs Super Nintendo gen after all.
    Seeing as we only had the Megadrive (Genesis) in our territory, I wish I knew what this meant

Master Guru
    No surprise here. It was only a matter of time before the PS3 took the lead on the 360.

It's the best console this generation with the most critically acclaimed library of games. There are many gamers who will look back at the PS3 as the greatest console of all time.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    No surprise here. It was only a matter of time before the PS3 took the lead on the 360.

It's the best console this generation with the most critically acclaimed library of games. There are many gamers who will look back at the PS3 as the greatest console of all time.
    <Smacks forehead>
    Maybe wait for the real figures eh?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

I wouldn't go as far as the best ever, maybe if FF hadn't fell on it's face but PS1 is my #1 still. Best console this gen though easily.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Elder
    I agree, ps1 was very innovative. I logged in way more hours on it. To the point I had to turn it upside down to play games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Seeing as we only had the Megadrive (Genesis) in our territory, I wish I knew what this meant
    WHAT. I was a Sega kid back in da day to be fair, but really? That's weird man, I never knew there was no SNES over there

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I agree, ps1 was very innovative. I logged in way more hours on it. To the point I had to turn it upside down to play games.

Lolol. Was yours chipped? Everytime I went to my cousins house their PS1 was on it's side balanced against some books. For some reason I never asked why and just took my opportunity at their house to play MGS: Integral VR Disc

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    It's the story of the Hare and the Tortoise. Microsoft started off strong but then grew complacent and slacked off, and so the Playstation finished the rat race with a bang.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    WHAT. I was a Sega kid back in da day to be fair, but really? That's weird man, I never knew there was no SNES over there

Lolol. Was yours chipped? Everytime I went to my cousins house their PS1 was on it's side balanced against some books. For some reason I never asked why and just took my opportunity at their house to play MGS: Integral VR Disc
    No not chipped. But afterso long you had to turn them over or on the side so they could read discs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    It's the story of the Hare and the Tortoise. Microsoft started off strong but then grew complacent and slacked off, and so the Playstation finished the rat race with a bang.
    MS has never slacked off, Sony have been lucky enough to have Japan in the pocket to allow them to close the original 7 million odd gap. It was always going to happen as long as nothing disastrous happened in the japan market.
    Thats not to say they have done worse elsewhere. Its been a 1:1 sell rate in the rest of the world, which means neither was more or less popular overall elsewhere.

Superior Member
    People talking about PS3 big year this year is odd to me. Once the new Xbox comes out this year who's actually going to care about the current gen games, especially if something such as the open world game Watch Dogs is a launch title. Or since Turn10 hasn't made a Forza in a long time they're probably making the next Forza a launch title.

Just hope Sony is right there along with them but it's doubtful since this is a big year for the PS3. Even if Sony does announce something if the release date is anything other than this year (2013) they're lying about the release date. Add 3 months to a year then you're in the ballpark.

On topic:
    Even though I don't think its actually happened yet it will eventually. Took the whole gen but they got it done. Good job.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    With a bang? lol Going from a gaming dynasty to being dead last for 6 years only to barely inch by to become a very distant second behind Nintendo (assuming the official numbers back up this article). MS went from selling 25 million last gen to selling 70+ million this gen while Sony went from selling 100+ million last gen down to 70+ this gen and watching all their former 3rd party exclusives go multiplatform and end up on their rivals console. No doubt that MS is alot happier with how this generation played out than Sony is. Maybe next gen Sony will take their competition more seriously now that they have had a healthy helping of humble pie.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-12-2013 at 02:08.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    MS got what they wanted 1:1 sales in the markets they competed in. Plus a years lead in those markets.

What MS must be wondering still is how do they ever crack Japan.

Or do they even bother?

Super Elite

MS got what they wanted 1:1 sales in the markets they competed in. Plus a years lead in those markets.

What MS must be wondering still is how do they ever crack Japan.

Or do they even bother?
    I don't think they bother. Japan is loyal to Sony and Nintendo. Plus the Xbox mostly focuses on western games.

Thread Information