Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 515 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    I don't think they bother. Japan is loyal to Sony and Nintendo. Plus the Xbox mostly focuses on western games.
    I know that Microsoft actually did try a lot to break into Japan with some non-western style games like Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey, but they gave up too quickly after that didn't work. However, there are a lot of visual novels on the 360 from what I know.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    I know that Microsoft actually did try a lot to break into Japan with some non-western style games like Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey, but they gave up too quickly after that didn't work. However, there are a lot of visual novels on the 360 from what I know.
    Visual novel? Like what?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah they tried big time. They probably decided the return on the investment just wasn't worth it in the end. And yeah i heard the same thing about the novels.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    With a bang? lol Going from a gaming dynasty to being dead last for 6 years only to barely inch by to become a very distant second behind Nintendo (assuming the official numbers back up this article). MS went from selling 25 million last gen to selling 70+ million this gen while Sony went from selling 100+ million last gen down to 70+ this gen and watching all their former 3rd party exclusives go multiplatform and end up on their rivals console. No doubt that MS is alot happier with how this generation played out than Sony is. Maybe next gen Sony will take their competition more seriously now that they have had a healthy helping of humble pie.
    Sony sold so much last gen that they had nowhere to go but down, and Microsoft did so poorly last gen had nowhere to go but up; and so the comparison is null. The success of the Playstation 2 was unprecedented, and it is the kind of success that could ever be repeated twice even with all the right cards in hand. There is also the fact that the original Xbox was only properly supported by MS from 2001 to 2005 (4 years) and the Xbox 360 is in its seventh year. And furthermore, the original Xbox was MS's first console and was more or less just build the brand.

But yeah, Sony was too layback in the beginning, but now they have sort of switched roles. Microsoft has been focusing more on Kinect support in games, and Sony has been pushing forth a lot of great exclusives.

5. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Visual novel? Like what?
    Three off of the top of my head would be Clannad, Sharin no Kuni, and Fate/Stay Night. These games are usually developed for PC and then a lot of them eventually get ported to the PS3, 360, and PSP. I believe the 370 is region locked however.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sony sold so much last gen that they had nowhere to go but down, and Microsoft did so poorly last gen had nowhere to go but up; and so the comparison is null. The success of the Playstation 2 was unprecedented, and it is the kind of success that could ever be repeated twice even with all the right cards in hand. There is also the fact that the original Xbox was only properly supported by MS from 2001 to 2005 (4 years) and the Xbox 360 is in its seventh year. And furthermore, the original Xbox was MS's first console and was more or less just build the brand. But yeah, Sony was too layback in the beginning, but now they have sort of switched roles. Microsoft has been focusing more on Kinect support in games, and Sony has been pushing forth a lot of great exclusives.
    I think PS2 success could have been repeated but Sony priced themselves out of the consumer comfort zone and lost exclusitivity to certain big 3rd party IPs. GTA and FF propably sold more PS2's than any Sony 1st party IPs did with the exception of Gran Turismo. If those two things hadn't happened then MS one year lead wouldn't have done them any good as Sony would have easily passed them and would have most likely dominated 3 generations in a row. As for MS yeah the last couple of years they seemed to become a bit complacent while also trying to make a cash grab at the casual market at the expense of new core IPs. They could have even used existing IPs theyre already sitting on but instead they focused on Kinect. They even turned Fable into a Kinect game so yeah I agree with you there.

Ancient
    I agree with you Rad, I still think despite everything Sony has done very well
    Actually for those WWE fans out there Sony is pretty much The Rock during his arrogant stage in the WWE lol

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I agree with you Rad, I still think despite everything Sony has done very well Actually for those WWE fans out there Sony is pretty much The Rock during his arrogant stage in the WWE lol Sent via Codec
    I agree. Sony has done great in coming back from all that. And theyre even still creating new great IPs this late in the gen and have kept their online service free. I give Sony major kudos for that. So yeah Sony has done very well all things considered.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think it's safe to say that PS4 won't come out at a $600 price tag. It's also safe to say that if the next XBox is announced at E3 this year, that it won't support 4K televisions (very well?). A lot of people make a big deal out of another slow start for Sony, but if this gen has proved anything, it's that Sony can't hand it's head on a silver platter to the competition and come out last.

BluRay is going to be the format to go forward. All of the publishers are circling the wagons on their DRM, so that will be a wash on all systems. Graphics performance per watt is scaling far better and cooler than ever before. CPU power is almost a non-sequitur since all of the developers are up to speed with shader performance. The next gen is going to play by much different rules and the developer support didn't leave Sony so much as give more room for the XBox. The Playstation 3 was supposed to destroy Sony's image in gaming if we turn the clock back to 2005 and 2006. Obviously, this generation has broken more than a few crystal balls.

That's all I have to say on the subject.
    Last edited by Lefein; 01-12-2013 at 10:20.

11. Likes LfCpS3 likes this post
    Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I think it's safe to say that PS4 won't come out at a $600 price tag. It's also safe to say that if the next XBox is announced at E3 this year, that it won't support 4K televisions (very well?). A lot of people make a big deal out of another slow start for Sony, but if this gen has proved anything, it's that Sony can't hand it's head on a silver platter to the competition and come out last.

BluRay is going to be the format to go forward. All of the publishers are circling the wagons on their DRM, so that will be a wash on all systems. Graphics performance per watt is scaling far better and cooler than ever before. CPU power is almost a non-sequitur since all of the developers are up to speed with shader performance. The next gen is going to play by much different rules and the developer support didn't leave Sony so much as give more room for the XBox. The Playstation 3 was supposed to destroy Sony's image in gaming if we turn the clock back to 2005 and 2006. Obviously, this generation has broken more than a few crystal balls.

I don't think the PS4 will support 4K TV's either. They're still 10-12 thousand dollars. When the Xbox 360/PS3 came out you could buy an HDTV for around 2k. It will probably be another 2-3 years before 4K TV's hit that price point. Another issue would likely be processing power. Much like the PS3 and 360 have a difficult time doing 1080p at 60fps, next gen consoles will have a tough time doing 4k at 60 fps. Keep in mind that 4k is essentially 4 times the resolution of 1080p.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I don't think the PS4 will support 4K TV's either. They're still 10-12 thousand dollars. When the Xbox 360/PS3 came out you could buy an HDTV for around 2k. It will probably be another 2-3 years before 4K TV's hit that price point. Another issue would likely be processing power. Much like the PS3 and 360 have a difficult time doing 1080p at 60fps, next gen consoles will have a tough time doing 4k at 60 fps. Keep in mind that 4k is essentially 4 times the resolution of 1080p.
    I agree. And 4K is a very niche market obviously due to the price of entry.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

I have to respectfully disagree that coming out first is what is needed. The Dreamcast came out first and got Rick Rolled by the PS2. It had the exact problem that the PS3 in the beginning and that was a lack of games people really wanted to play. Technically the WiiU is out first, so its a matter of who comes 2nd. If Sony has a stellar line-up of games that make people want to give up their money then being a year late, especially if Microsoft axes support for the 360 once their new system is out.

Ultimate Veteran
    ^ Probably misread what I was saying. When it comes to the HD console generation, coming out a year late didn't lose the game. Coming out at $600 didn't lose the game. Having the gaming press use every opportunity including unsubstantiated rumors to discredit your console didn't lose the game. Having a restructuring parent corporation undergoing heavy financial stress didn't lose the game. Losing long-time exclusive heavy hitter franchises like Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry... didn't lose.. the game.

I don't think Sony, as far as the Playstation is concerned anyway, is under nearly as much pressure as people have been (and continue to) paint them with. Vita, for instance, is being painted with the same brush in the court of American-fueled internet driven public opinion that the PS3 was and still is on track with expectations. The technology that went into the PS3 that made it the most expensive (Blu-Ray) is absolutely the format to go forward into the next generation. It affords Sony the luxury to hit much harder when they come to market next time around. Not only that, but being able to invest more-so on the technology (software and hardware) side of the machine itself like they were able to with the Playstation 1.

I'm almost positive the PS4 will come out a year after the next Xbox. I was not arguing for an early launch at all. And uhh, sorry to say to all those people knocking on 4K televisions, but your arguments are so 2005. People were saying more or less the exact same thing about 1080P TVs and then miraculously said the same exact thing about 3D-TVs when they came out. Some people never learn.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Tbh 3D TVs haven't really taken off as much as expected and we dont even hear about it much anymore as far as gaming goes. And how many average gamers do you think can just go plunk down 10 grand on a 4K TV? I just dont think 4K will be a big player next gen. 3D support might and bluray definitely will. Will PS4 still support 4K anyway? Propably. Sony is very good at future proofing I know.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-12-2013 at 19:39.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Why would it not support those TVs just because of the price? Obviously the games won't be 4K but the OS certainly will with some games' cutscenes being 4K as well. The PS3 is capable of 1080p, hardly any games use it but it's there for the likes of cutscenes like FF13 having 720p gameplay and 1080p cutscenes.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Seeing as we only had the Megadrive (Genesis) in our territory, I wish I knew what this meant
    Mega Drive was release first in 89 & dominated the market for 4 years, SNES released in 90
    end result
    Mega Drive 37.6 million
    Super NES 49.10 million

I said this a few times too, I'm sure you can do a search & it'll bring back my posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I agree, ps1 was very innovative. I logged in way more hours on it. To the point I had to turn it upside down to play games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Lmao &thought I was the only one, still works to this day upside down, I bought new one when they hit 99 anyway lol.
    Last edited by TGO; 01-12-2013 at 20:39.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    ^^ Probably the best console war ever, good times. It was all about the games too, no throwing money at third party devs and timed exclusive BS, just 1st party vs 1st party like it should be.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree that coming out first is what is needed. The Dreamcast came out first and got Rick Rolled by the PS2. It had the exact problem that the PS3 in the beginning and that was a lack of games people really wanted to play. Technically the WiiU is out first, so its a matter of who comes 2nd. If Sony has a stellar line-up of games that make people want to give up their money then being a year late, especially if Microsoft axes support for the 360 once their new system is out.
    Microsoft is supporting the 360 for at least 10 years. Not sure how far beyond that they will go though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Microsoft is supporting the 360 for at least 10 years. Not sure how far beyond that they will go though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    As long as it makes money for them i would imagine.

Power Member
    To be honest, if you don't have both, you're missing out on some killer titles and with the stupidly low prices of both and the deals that are offered, there is no reason NOT to have both. Unless of course you can't afford it.

To still have flame wars from each side after 6-7 years on the market is stupid IMO.

23. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Veteran
    Doesn't matter. Xbox came in last in the previous generation and the Xbox 360 is coming in last in this generation as we approach the final stretch. Just a fact.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Soldier 95B
    Looking at gaf the 360 lead has grown over the ps3 keeping it in a solid second behind wii.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Doesn't matter. Xbox came in last in the previous generation and the Xbox 360 is coming in last in this generation as we approach the final stretch. Just a fact.
    Wrong. Gamecube came in last the previous generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Looking at gaf the 360 lead has grown over the ps3 keeping it in a solid second behind wii. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    Do they have official numbers or are they guesstimating like the site in this article?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Where are you getting your figures from?

Thread Information