Page 1 of 16 111 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Report: PS3 Surpasses Xbox 360’s Worldwide Shipped Total

The Xbox 360 has been ahead of PlayStation 3 in the global sales race since the first day the PS3 was released in 2006. But according to a new forecast report summarized by Games Industry International, the PlayStation 3 has officially taken the lead in units shipped.
    Games Industry International cites a “market analysis” document by Lewis Ward of IDC (the International Data Corporation) called Worldwide Video Game Entertainment Console Hardware and Packaged Software 2012-2016 Forecast. The $4,500 report’s abstract notes that the forecast is designed to predict sales figures for a variety of hardware and software over the next four years.
    Tucked within, according to Games Industry International, are console numbers for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as of December, 2012. “Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.” It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft, or are part of IDC’s overall forecast.
    The forecast also reportedly states that IDC predicts “Nintendo will still ‘find an audience’ with Wii U, reaching global shipments of 50 million by year-end 2016.” Wii U sales aren’t keeping pace with that of the original Wii, though it may have already sold as many as 3 million units since November.
    Microsoft’s Xbox 360 launched in North America in November of 2005, and a month later in Europe and Japan. Sony’s PlayStation 3 launched in November of 2006 in North America and Japan, and the next spring in Europe.
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/1...-shipped-total

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

2. Likes skinny_jr likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Finally lol

All 3 have done amazing in sales so it matters not. Well done to all.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Elder
    That is amazing. Sony announced 70 mil on Novemer 4Th and just 2 month later they ship a further 7mil. Astounding.

5. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Impressive I think PS3 is truly the best deal out there at this point for anyone that doesn't have a gaming console.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

7. Likes zex494 likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Stick that in your Xbox pipe and smoke it.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

9. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    hmm, I'll wait on the reports from sony and ms coming out soon.

Soldier 95B
    as of December, 2012...Sony’s PS3 managed to surpass the number of Xbox 360s shipped worldwide (about 77 million vs. 76 million), despite the PS3 launching a year later.”

The Xbox 360 only had 70 million shipped by the middle of October. Sony shipped 70 million by November 4th. So the Xbox 360 shipped 6 million units in a little over 2 months, and the PS3 shipped 7 million in less than 2 months.

Okay..wink wink.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    That is amazing. Sony announced 70 mil on Novemer 4Th and just 2 month later they ship a further 7mil. Astounding.
    Yes, it would be amazing if it were true.

Somehow, I doubt the PS3 sold over 30% more than it did the same quarter last year while MS sold 30% less than it did the same quarter last year, especially considering North American PS3 sales are about 50% less than last year.

Just so we know....

The same quarter last year MS shipped 8.2 Million and Sony shipped 5.6 Million, and up to this holiday both companies have shipped less than last year. I have a REALLY hard time believing that MS shipped 2.2 million fewer units while Sony shipped 1.4 million more during the same quarter this year while sales for both are 40-50% lower and 360 sales have been consistently 30+% higher in the US than PS3 sales.

This isn't the first time I've read stories about the PS3 being projected to pass the 360 by some analyst. Wait until official numbers come out, I'll bet money the PS3 is still behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

The Xbox 360 only had 70 million shipped by the middle of October. Sony shipped 70 million by November 4th. So the Xbox 360 shipped 6 million units in a little over 2 months, and the PS3 shipped 7 million in less than 2 months.

Okay..wink wink.
    Correction.... MS PASSED the 70 million mark by the end of September. The news wasn't released until mid October in their quarterly report which ended the last day of September.

And I agree, it's not believable.

Based on NPD projected sales, the 360 sold 3.2 million consoles in the US alone between October and January. The PS3 only sold 1.9 million in the same time frame, Giving MS a 1.3 million unit lead in the US, but we're supposed to believe that the PS3 somehow managed to sell more than a million more consoles than the 360 world wide?

That would require the best PS3 sales since launch in both Europe and Japan by more than a 2 million units.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 01-10-2013 at 14:43.

13. Likes mistercrow, mynd likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    This is good stuff!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I wish I cared about these numbers, but I don't. I just do not care who sells the most consoles. Maybe it is because I am so ready for a PS4, that PS3 numbers do not interest me anymore. I am happy for Sony and their success, but I just don't care much about the sales.

Soldier 95B
    I agree with Lethal, they are useless. It's just a topic of conversation is all.

IDC, the same company that is stating the PS3 has taken the lead also had this projection in 2008:

Last edited by Soldier 95B; 01-10-2013 at 15:12.

17. Likes mistercrow, mynd likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

19. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ancient
    Dam those Super Slims, and the generation isn't over yet
    Danti~ "Funny how it shall end the same way"

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Sony haven't announced anything, this is analyst guessing.
    IDC have a terrible track record BTW.

I agree with Lethal, they are useless. It's just a topic of conversation is all.

IDC, the same company that is stating the PS3 has taken the lead also had this projection in 2008:
    Yup.

Ill wait till we see official figures.

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Move over pal.

24. Likes zex494, Nitey likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    This is good stuff!
    Just shows that people believe what they want to believe. An unreliable site makes a guess and its a victory party despite no official numbers being released. If this was true why isnt Sony PR saying anything about it? I'll just wait for Sony and MS to announce their numbers before drawing any conclusions either way.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Here's a few other IDC predictions....

nternational Data Corporation (IDC) today released results from a prediction market survey that found Americans will buy 2.5 million to 3 million Kinect sensors for their Microsoft Xbox 360 video game consoles in the fourth calendar quarter of 2010........"While it doesn't appear Kinect or Move will be this year's Tickle Me Elmo, millions of additional U.S. households will be enjoying motion-based gaming this holiday season,"
    http://www.idc.com/about/viewpressre...0#.UO8YdqzkKno

Kinect went on to take make it the fastest selling gadget ever.

. I expect that the launch of the Wii U, a revamped interactive entertainment console from Microsoft in the 2014 timeframe, and the arrival of Sony's 'PS4' circa 2015 – along with more than a few exclusive, innovative games – will help drive a new wave of console-centric spending in the next several years."
    http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/idc-predi...m-in-2015.html

In a report issued earlier this year, IDC analyst Billly Pidgeon projected sales numbers for the three next-gen consoles, through 2012.

Pidgeon suggested that by 2012, the PS3 will lead the pack, with more than 107 million units sold worldwide, while the Wii will be just behind, at nearly 107 million units.

In the shorter term, however, IDC suggested that the Wii is poised to be the dominant console, most likely overtaking the Xbox this year in total sales.

"Our forecast calls for the Wii outshipping the Xbox 360 and the PS3 through 2010," Pidgeon wrote.

To some, the big shock in Pidgeon's report is that the Xbox 360 will have fallen far behind by 2012, with just over 40 million units sold.

To Pachter, these predictions have the ring of truth.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9948454-52.html

Nuff said. Take what they say as a guess.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    So your saying they have good track record! Lol j/k

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    So your saying they have good track record! Lol j/k
    This one has a possibility of actually being close to correct however, but its still only a guess.
    What pisses me off about these guys is if you want a copy of the report it will cost you $4,500, for them to just basically "guess".

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    How do they even come to these figures??

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Just shows that people believe what they want to believe. An unreliable site makes a guess and its a victory party despite no official numbers being released. If this was true why isnt Sony PR saying anything about it? I'll just wait for Sony and MS to announce their numbers before drawing any conclusions either way.
    Where da party at

31. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    lol the 360 fans are out in force.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 01-10-2013 at 20:41. Reason: changed fanboys to fans.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Forum Elder
    Thats nice I guess. I dont care about sales, I just care that the brand keeps going.

Ive owned ps brand since 1 and have been very happy since.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    Despite getting the split between the HD boys wrong, they predicted the total amount of HD consoles that would be out there by this time pretty well

And their Wii numbers were spot on

Not that bad of a guess from 2008 tbh!

But yeah, not too sure about their 77m for PS3 at this point. Official numbers will clear this up - I don't believe Sony would have sold this many to retailers in that short amount of time personally

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    How do they even come to these figures??
    They just guess.
    To be fair to them, this one could actually be correct, but we wont know till we see the fiscal figures.
    They are within a million or 2 now, so it's entirely possible. Its just not official.

Thread Information