Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

[Playstation 3] Papo & Yo

Platform(s): Playstation 3
    Publisher: SCE
    Developer: Minority
    ESRB: E

A nation is raised with a culture, a set of beliefs that separate themselves from others. But whether that nation is rich or poor, human fallacy and corruption exists. A child born into a broken environment that embraces violence, one would guess that they’ll follow in those footsteps. After all, they’ll pick up what they have learned and apply it once they get older.

But not, Quico, a boy who has experienced hell itself from a hostile environment at home while he hides away in the tiny closet of his home to escape the madness, hoping that the monster would not find him. Eventually that event comes to pass and he is free to roam outside into a world that closely resembles, Favela, Brazil.

Since our young protagonist is fresh with thoughts, the setting plays in accordance to his imagination with unreal environmental changes such as solid stairs forming the moment he pulls on a white-drawn-like string with the drastically changed objects highlighted white in certain parts. These structural changes will appear drawn on walls in shape of, as already said, strings; keys; levers; scissors and more. You’ll witness full houses pulled away from their foundation in order to make paths. This applies to any structure capable of bending at your will. Unique art is also displayed in certain areas of the game which are beautifully made and well worth the stop to admire their brilliance. You’ll need to play the game in order to experience the efforts the developers put into the game.

A bridge made of houses?. Seems reasonable.

What is your goal here anyways?. Our friend is tired of seeing monster, his best friend, destroy itself with a terrible addiction to frogs - which after consumed, turns into a fiery-enraged beast that crushes or harms anything around him. In an effort to save him from self destruction, Quico travels in an imaginary, Favela to find a Shaman who is capable of achieving just that, but doing so is not easy.

In many occasions, you have to lure, Monster into certain areas by offering fruit that he loves that are accessible by palm trees or even ground grown. Just by lifting one up, you can gain it’s attention regardless of how many fruits are left on the ground. Monster will follow but be cautious if a frog is present because it will ignore all your attempts to in order to obtain what its most addicted to.

You have to do a number of things to drag, Monster across a variety of obstacles.

Traveling through a complex world, you must find ways to make sure, Monster reaches the Shaman but doing it alone will be a near impossible feat, hence why you gain guidance from a close friend who points out key locations for further progress. Along with her you also gain aid from a robot ally who reaches for distant symbols that makes your journey more friendlier. That's not all! It's also equipped with a jetpack powerful enough to carry you across platforms but that only lasts a couple of seconds so make the jump and then use the jetpack for extra distance.

This however won’t stop, Monster from getting its hands on the biggest treat in the game:frogs. While the game is an exception of health bars or HUD of any kind, Monster will strike you the moment it chomps on one, disrupting your work to further taking him to your goal in order to heal him. Thankfully, there is a certain fruit you can throw at it that will make your friend calm back down in order to proceed with your endeavors but that won't always be the case.

Yep, Monster ate a frog just now.

You’ll come to understand the developers intent in this and while it’s low on dialogue, it does an excellent job being concise and elaborate of the situation by offering his real-life memories and describing the moments that take place.

While, Papo & Yo is an indie PSN game, it contains some noticeable issues. For instance, Quico will go through walls and never come back. Other times your paths are blocked by invisible walls or Monster might not follow you. If you experience these problems, just exit out into your XMB and come back to it - doing so will restart the entire section of the game so it can be rather time consuming and even frustrating if you made significant progress. Fortunately, that’s all I have to say in regards to the problems I’ve experienced.

Overall
    Papo & Yo offers a completely different experience compared to any game I’ve played on, Playstation. The manipulative structural changes you’ll pull off is vast and fun to try. While the issues are minor, it could ruin the experience since achieving each checkpoint is a consuming task but its well worth the journey to find out the conclusion once you’ve reached your goal. Unfortunately I can't promise on replay value since you'll understand it all once you've beaten it(Took me a few hours to accomplish after all).

Good and Bad
    + Well thought out concept that separates itself from the rest
    + Low on dialogue but elaborate and concise
    + Characters with a set goal and deep past

- Your fellow guide is hardly touched on
    - Glitches and bugs that could impair your journey.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good write up Fon, adding to the index now. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Nice write up fon!! Great work!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    No problem, DarkVincent07.

Thank you for the feedback guys!.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    How long do you think the game is, like 3 hours?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    This is well done, Fon. I've never heard of this game or even had the slightest clue what it was about, but it sure sounds like fun. It seems really unique, I actually might have to look into this game. Glad you did a review on it!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    How long do you think the game is, like 3 hours?
    4.5 hours or so since I didn't know what I had to do but if you re-play it then yes, you can easily beat it in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud
    This is well done, Fon. I've never heard of this game or even had the slightest clue what it was about, but it sure sounds like fun. It seems really unique, I actually might have to look into this game. Glad you did a review on it!
    Thank you!.

Thread Information