Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

20 year old toddler

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/tod...175300753.html
    B
    rooke Greenberg may be 20 years old, but she remains forever trapped inside the body and mind of a toddler, due to a mystery medical condition that has baffled medical experts for years.

Also on Shine: How Facebook Saved a Child's Life (and Could Save Many More)

"From age one to four, Brooke changed. She got a little bit bigger," explained her father, Howard, during the family's appearance on Thursday's "Katie" with Katie Couric. "But age four, four to five, she stopped."

Since then, Brooke's height and weight of 16 pounds and 20 inches have remained a constant. She wears diapers, is pushed in a stroller, gets fed through a feeding tube due to a too-small esophagus, and communicates like an infant would, estimates her mother Melanie.

"Like 6 months," she explained on the show. "If she's happy, she'll giggle and laugh."

Doctors have told Melanie and Howard, who live in Maryland, that there is no other known case like Brooke's in the world. And at least one medical expert believes that Brooke's condition could hold the key to the fountain of youth.

Also on Yahoo!: A Urine Test for a Rare and Elusive Disease
    "Here's a woman 20 years old who has literally stopped aging," explained Dr. Eric Schadt, director of the Icahn Institute for Genomics and Multi-Scale Biology at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York, who also appeared on the broadcast. He said he took an interest in Brooke's case after years of her receiving no diagnosis from other doctors, and that her case could "blow a whole field of science wide open."
    This is exactly why the Goldberg family has made the decision to go public with their story, Howard told Yahoo! Shine. "The reason we are doing it isn't to put my family on television," he said. "Finding out that her DNA makeup is completely different than anyone else's brought to our attention that we could help. So eventually, at the end of the rainbow, there will be something that comes out of all this. I believe everyone is here for a reason."
    Howard and Melanie provide care to Brooke day in and day out, and have watched their younger daughter, 17-year-old Carly, eclipse her older sister by developing normally over the years. They admit they have often felt isolated in their struggle.

"It hasn't been easy," Melanie told Couric. "We don't have anybody really to turn to, to tell us what to expect." Doctors have no way to even determine how long Brooke may live.

Still, her parents say they take solace in the fact that she's here now, and believe she does not need to be cured of anything.

"If somebody knocked on the door right now and said, 'It's a guaranteed pill. Give this to Brooke and she'll be fixed,' well first I would say to him, 'She's not broken.' And B, I would say, 'Thank you, but no thank you," Howard said in a video filmed for the "Katie" show.

To research Brooke's condition, scientists are reading every single letter of the young woman's DNA. "That would fill, like, 3,000 of the Harry Potter books that my kids like. That's how big her genome is," Dr. Schadt explained, adding that, so far, scientists have put her genes in fruit flies to see if it helps them live longer. He added that the Greenberg's take solace in the fact Brooke has also helped with research into conditions including Alzheimer's, heart disease and cancer.

"That," he said, "is a pretty amazing gift to be able to give to humanity."

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is common knowledge around the world, that people suffer from this condition
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    This is common knowledge around the world, that people suffer from this condition
    Not too many people do though. I think it's a rare disease, like aging backwards.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    not a RARE one at all, since the first back in the 1970's

It's been a well known condition to what i have read and learnt
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru

Okay, claud3, it's not rare.

The article says that there is no other known case like Brooke's in the world so that qualifies as rare...

7. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    There are quite a few people with mental ages of children but never this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley
    Last edited by keefy; 01-12-2013 at 21:32.

9. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Master Guru
    Thank you, guys. Plus rep!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Ok my bad, I just read it and went with my point on it and it was wrong

12. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    If it would have been very common, you would see such people on the streets quite frequently. I have never seen such a person with those issues, so it must be rare.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Woah, that's pretty insane. Think about the possibilities; if the doctors find out why the aging process has stopped then they could use that information to stop the aging process in other humans! Most likely it won't be that easy, but it could open up some doors.

Brb in the year 2050 70-year-olds will look like 18-year-olds.

Learn to do signatures here

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Woah, that's pretty insane. Think about the possibilities; if the doctors find out why the aging process has stopped then they could use that information to stop the aging process in other humans! Most likely it won't be that easy, but it could open up some doors.

Brb in the year 2050 70-year-olds will look like 18-year-olds.
    Imagine going to a doctor in the future for the ageing process and he is like. What age would you like to be?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well one thing is for sure, she will live a life we all wished we could go back to

Being a kid again, i certainly wish i could

Thread Information