PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

DmC: Devil May Cry Review

Hi all,

In case you missed it, PSU.com published its review of DmC earlier today.

Rebooting a beloved franchise is no easy feat, as developer Ninja Theory found out when tasked with overhauling Capcom’s iconic Devil May Cry series. DmC: Devil May Cry is the Cambridge-based studio’s take on the 11+ million-selling stylish action franchise, at the centre of which has been much controversy over the new look protagonist, Dante. Gone is the refined white-haired hero of old, replaced with a younger, womanizing punk with a bad attitude and a penchant for potty-mouthed outbursts. To say the reaction to this new look has been polarizing would be a colossal understatement; Ninja Theory admitted things got so bad they were even inundated with death threats. Yet, beneath all the superficial sartorial $#@!ing about the series’ demon-slaying badass, this reboot is as quintessentially DmC as any of its predecessors – perhaps more so, in fact.

DmC takes familiar characters but puts its own spin on the decade old series. Dante is back, as is his brother Vergil, although this time the pair aren’t at war, but rather working together to take down the demon Lord Mundus. At first, Dante doesn’t give a toss about helping out; we first meet him whoring and boozing it up down the local night club and lazing about in his trailer. Things soon change when the demons track him down, mind. Unlike the previous games however, which looked to gothic castles and fantasy landscapes for its backdrop, DmC adds a contemporary edge to the proceedings. Demons wage war on the humans not just with the scythe or sword, but with the backing of multimedia influence. TV networks and addictive health drinks corrupt the weak minded, giving Mundus absolute power over the sprawling, neon-lit metropolis of Limbo City.
    Full review here -- http://www.psu.com/a017992/DmC--Devil-May-Cry-Review

I was admittedly very skeptical about this game, especially over the new-look Dante, though i'm happy to say that having spent the entire weekend on the game (and completing it) I've had to eat some humble pie. It's brilliant. Also, we didn't encounter any of the major frame-rate issues that other people reported on.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Nice review. Pretty much agree. I found the platforming sections a little long-winded and boring at times but the combat is super fluid and intense. Played the first 10 levels so far and loving it.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Keep at it mate, the combat only gets more intense after you get passed mission 10. Wait until you fight the Witches; they're incredibly powerful opponents and can prove a pain in the ass when combined with lesser foes.

The platforming sections were a nice addition IMO in the sense the previous games didn't really feature them as heavily as this. The whole Angel/Demon grapple move really added a new dimension to the bog-standard double-jumping of old.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Ultimate Veteran
    how is the save system can u save in the middle of a mission and take it from there or do u have to restart the mission

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Mike will be best to answer this as he's played it yesterday. I haven't played it since before Xmas and I've slept since then.

I seem to remember there were save points, which you should take advantage of. I only remember one occasion where I had to go back a fair distance and that was because I didn't use the save point. They seem to be not too far from each other.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

PSN ID
    cupngkoh
    This game is very good but i like old dante

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by cuprikz View Post
    This game is very good but i like old dante
    word UP

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    It's out already? Crap, it snuck up on me.

Shut up and play games

Veteran
    I don't have the game but I've been watching the walkthroughs. I don't have time/money for games right now and even though I'll watch through it all, I still won't be spoiled out of wanting to play through it myself.

I'm about halfway through it, the guy knows what he's doing with the combat system, and everything seems to be well done. Dante, as well as the story as a whole is actually more likeable than I initially suspected, IMO. Anyway, like someone else already said, I like that the platforming sections make the game appear a little less redundant and the combat looks simple-but-complex enough (gotta try it to know for sure tho).

Can't wait to play the game for myself. From watching, I like what Ninja Theory has done with the game thus far.
    Last edited by Bio; 01-16-2013 at 04:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

PSN ID
    LoneSage
    I'm shocked every review I saw of this was a good one. Everybody thought it would flop. I'll have to give it a go.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I too am shocked by the positive reviews, thought it was going to tank. Will be sure check out the demo and give it a go.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Thread Information