Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

2. Likes Bio likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by jj03; 01-18-2013 at 20:16.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What the hell is going on here. Are threads rolling together again or did i miss something. I get the durango just not the creepy as finger puppets. Oh the horror.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 01-17-2013 at 23:58.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post

Great...thanks...now I am going to have nightmares for the next few days...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    There is also rumor of a co-processor in one if not both consoles. ARM or IBM PowerPC setup wouldn't be impossible to see along side AMD/IBM products. Both have agreements to build ARM devices. Could be a reason for that context switching patent Sony filled. Say offload the OS workload onto ARM, IBM, or Cell CPU in the background. I believe Sony plans on having Cell tech in PS4, but maybe not as the main processor. Possibly as a co-processor or for PS3 full compatibility mode or both. At least that is what that patent made it sound like to me.
    Can I marry you right now. Someone else who still believes the Cell will live on in PS4.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    PS4 = BD-XL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#BDXL

With BD-XL storing 100-128GB of data, I could see this becoming the standard format for 4K Video...and since the H.265 codec is suppose to be about 50% more efficient than the H.264 that makes the BD-XL standard perfect for that purpose! Not to mention giving a game 100-128GB of space to work with helps too!
    BD-XL is a no brainer. Unless they either come up with a new form of optical storage, or pull another deal....

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/08/b...optical-discs/

Make nice with Pioneer and we'll have games that go on for months, even years

BETTER YET they will push holographic discs. Call me crazy but I'm calling it now

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Can I marry you right now. Someone else who still believes the Cell will live on in PS4.

BD-XL is a no brainer. Unless they either come up with a new form of optical storage, or pull another deal....

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/08/b...optical-discs/

Make nice with Pioneer and we'll have games that go on for months, even years

BETTER YET they will push holographic discs. Call me crazy but I'm calling it now
    If they used the Cell for another purpose as well in the PS4 then I could see them doing it (similar to the PS2 and using the PS1 processor) which would be great, but I don't see them putting it in the PS4 just for backwards compatibility! They could technically just make a cheaper 6 core Cell processor for the PS4 since in the PS3 one of the SPU's are already deactivated to increase yield and another is dedicated to the OS (which won't be needed with the PS4) leaving only 6 for gaming. As for the 500GB Ultraviolet discs, I would have thought we would of seen something about that technology at CES, but since we didn't I don't see it happening either...due to the amount of data it can hold and the speed of it I would love to see holographic storage in a game console, but again the technology is still very expensive! In my opinion, I am about 85% positive we will see BD-XL in PS4 and possibly in the Xbox720 as well. As for the Cell in the PS4, I think it is still up in the air on whether they will include it, but I am highly doubting they will because of cost.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    If they used the Cell for another purpose as well in the PS4 then I could see them doing it (similar to the PS2 and using the PS1 processor) which would be great, but I don't see them putting it in the PS4 just for backwards compatibility! They could technically just make a cheaper 6 core Cell processor for the PS4 since in the PS3 one of the SPU's are already deactivated to increase yield and another is dedicated to the OS (which won't be needed with the PS4) leaving only 6 for gaming. As for the 500GB Ultraviolet discs, I would have thought we would of seen something about that technology at CES, but since we didn't I don't see it happening either...due to the amount of data it can hold and the speed of it I would love to see holographic storage in a game console, but again the technology is still very expensive! In my opinion, I am about 85% positive we will see BD-XL in PS4 and possibly in the Xbox720 as well. As for the Cell in the PS4, I think it is still up in the air on whether they will include it, but I am highly doubting they will because of cost.
    Lol. I'm still hoping for down the line (2-4 iteratons in the future) to see one of the two in a Sony console. You say 85% though, 8'm guessing the other 15% at least a faster bd drive?

Sent from the Warlock

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Lol. I'm still hoping for down the line (2-4 iteratons in the future) to see one of the two in a Sony console. You say 85% though, 8'm guessing the other 15% at least a faster bd drive?

Sent from the Warlock
    Yeah, all logic points to a BD-XL drive, especially since Sony was pushing 4K so much at CES. I can see them selling blu-ray movies in 4K resolution on the BD-XL discs and packing in the standard copy of the blu-ray as well similar to the way they do the 3D blu-ray/reg blu-ray and blu-ray/dvd movies. If they for some reason don't include a BD-XL drive in their systems, they damn well better put a 12x blu-ray drive in it!

Ancient
    I prefer PSU's version of this article, it avoids confusion by explaining the half of RAM is faster & more efficient.
    my guess is most people will read this and think 720>PS4 when it's actually the other way around
    whats more is the rumoured OS usage, which cuts it down to 3GB GDDR5 RAM vs 4GB DDR3 for games

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Soldier 95B
    Wow INTERESTING lol

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Wow INTERESTING lol

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    What is?

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    So it could be more efficient ram v more but less efficient ram? Lol

Less is sometimes more...

Last edited by jj03; 01-18-2013 at 20:21.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Despite having 4x the ram of ps360 and having a traditional architecture that is widely understood by devs, Wii U ports barely match the performance of the former consoles.

I'm sure the 40% lower bandwidth of the RAM plays a major role in this. So I guess bandwidth IS essential

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    So far it seems like:

PS4

3.4/5 GDD5 ram for games ( 512 MB for OS)

5 GB DDR3 for games ( 3gb for OS is what it is being said, possible it will be lowered with optimisation)

One has a lot better bandwidth(a lot faster, performs better i assume?) and the other just has more ram.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    So far it seems like:

PS4

3.4/5 GDD5 ram for games ( 512 MB for OS)

5 GB DDR3 for games ( 3gb for OS is what it is being said, possible it will be lowered with optimization)

One has a lot better bandwidth(a lot faster, performs better i assume?) and the other just has more ram.
    Are you guys crazy?

NO ONE IS GOING TO BE USING DDR FOR VRAM.

If the 720 has DDR3 in it, it will also have dedicated GDDR, probably 3 in it as well.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-18-2013 at 20:51.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Are you guys crazy?

NO ONE IS GING TO BE USING DDR FOR VRAM.

If the 720 has DDR3 in it, it will also have dedicated GDDR, probably 3 in it as well.

I mean to put a G in, my mistake.

This is what i am getting from various other forums and such.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    I mean to put a G in, my mistake.

This is what i am getting from various other forums and such.
    Well "if" this dual GPU is in it, and each has dedicated access (i.e. split vram), you've effectively doubled it's bandwidth.

It would be a smart way of doing it (especially if the framebuffer is in edram).

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    So it could be more efficient ram v more but less efficient ram? Lol

Less is sometimes more...

Correct its not how big the ram is, its about how wide the bandwith is.
    *sigh trying to make dirty puns based on ram, is harder then it seems.

Thank you itachi

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Correct its not how big the ram is, its about how wide the bandwith is.
    *sigh trying to make dirty puns based on ram, is harder then it seems.
    Unless your being smart about it, like MS did last time using edram to alleviate bottlenecks.

Current "dual" GPU rumors on 720 point to dedicated VRAM (1.5 gb I think) per core.
    Now if each core has dedicated access to VRAM (look I have no idea how the hell this would work with splitting workload!) then you could effectively double your bandwidth.

Devils in the detail, but I do know MS have a very keen focus on alleviating bandwidth bottlenecks.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I prefer PSU's version of this article, it avoids confusion by explaining the half of RAM is faster & more efficient.
    my guess is most people will read this and think 720>PS4 when it's actually the other way around
    whats more is the rumoured OS usage, which cuts it down to 3GB GDDR5 RAM vs 4GB DDR3 for games
    no offense, but you've definitely read this rumour with rose tinted glasses on. 8GB of ram is NOT being knocked down to 4GB for gaming. that is ridiculous, even if kinect is factored in (which may well be entirely separate). not forgetting the rumoured ESRAM. a very believable rumour considering the EDRAM in the xbox
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Despite having 4x the ram of ps360 and having a traditional architecture that is widely understood by devs, Wii U ports barely match the performance of the former consoles.

I'm sure the 40% lower bandwidth of the RAM plays a major role in this. So I guess bandwidth IS essential
    hence the ESRAM

all the specs i've seen with this ram included come out pretty similar bandwidth wise, with the ps4 still slightly ahead.

oh and the corridor vs sandbox argument is bollocks too.

23. Likes mynd likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    hence the ESRAM

all the specs i've seen with this ram included come out pretty similar bandwidth wise, with the ps4 still slightly ahead.

oh and the corridor vs sandbox argument is bollocks too.
    yet still such crappy ports
    its also the weak CPU i guess

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Lets not forget, it is the amount of ram which is why the PS3 lacking in certain feature that have been demanded, an the ram the PS3 IS using IS faster than that of the 360. Of course I'm no computer tech or programmer so if we figure either way 4 being the magic number where all possibility can come to be whether the ram be fast as lightning or as abundant as the ocean, or both than sounds like we'er talking the same story only bigger numbers, and we really have to wait and see late in the gen what stifles creativity (if they become creative again)

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Lets not forget, it is the amount of ram which is why the PS3 lacking in certain feature that have been demanded, an the ram the PS3 IS using IS faster than that of the 360. Of course I'm no computer tech or programmer so if we figure either way 4 being the magic number where all possibility can come to be whether the ram be fast as lightning or as abundant as the ocean, or both than sounds like we'er talking the same story only bigger numbers, and we really have to wait and see late in the gen what stifles creativity (if they become creative again)
    its not unbelievable to think that you could max out 3 gig in the future (i think some current PC games get to around 2, and conversely, the 720 has less bandwidth. so they both could have future, but distinct, limitations.

i'm talking well down the line though...

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    its not unbelievable to think that you could max out 3 gig in the future (i think some current PC games get to around 2, and conversely, the 720 has less bandwidth. so they both could have future, but distinct, limitations.

i'm talking well down the line though...
    Games like BF3 have just over 800mb usage, thats with max setting with the exception of a few things to keep it 1080p @60fps putting everything on ultra would push it over a gig, but performance suffers
    Sent via Codec

Thread Information