Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

Dead Space 3 Demo Impressions.

I know its on the 360, but in a week it'll be release to everyone and since people read this thread way more than the MS it only made sense.

So, for the fistful of people who've had the chance to play it, what did yall think?

Pros:
    + The visuals were fine.

+ Weapon crafting allows for a lot of customization. I felt overwhelmed at first, but its actually pretty easy.

+ Bigger levels? That's how I felt when playing, you can venture off the path to find stuff (materials, parts) to use for upgrades.

+ Co-op. I know this is a big issue, but I never found Dead Space scary and this is actually a nice addition to the game. If you want the Dead Space 1/2 feel (isolation) then rest assured that SP is what you want (You don't have to worry about AI Carver tagging along), but if you have a friend and want to experience some things different in the co-op (dialogue/cinematics) then this is a good addition. Also, I don't have the best connection on the 360 and playing online was actually very smooth. Its nice to have the best of both worlds.

Gameplay wise, nothing changes except towards the end when you have to destroy a drill there are more enemies to fight.

Cons:
    - Cover system - In the two/three instances it comes up, you're fighting enemy soldiers/necromorphs and when I've used it I've been swarmed by necromorphs. Maybe it'll be more useful in some other instances, but in the demo I thought it was pretty useless.

- Enemies using guns, I do not approve of for some reason. Its not Dead Space and those fights were actually... meh.

- Was my sound low? The guns didn't pack any oof!

- This was huge for me, you can only equip two weapons in the demo. I don't know if this is in the full game, because up/down on the d-pad don't do anything.

I'm a huge fan of Dead Space 1/2 and overall I thought the demo was okay.

Edit: played through again and fighting humans isn't as bad and barrel rolls are helpful in evading necromorphs. In regards to customization, there's definitely a trial and error factor in what'll help you more to fight the bad guys.
    Last edited by LastManDancing; 01-16-2013 at 00:11.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Is it gold live only on 360? I let my gold lapse so I figured the early demo would be gold only and I'd just wait a week. If it's any 360 live account including silver -- free -- I'll go grab it just for the SP demo. If there is SP in the early demo.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't like the sounds of enemies with guns either. Just not Dead Space style but i guess I'll just have to wait and play it to see.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Is it gold live only on 360? I let my gold lapse so I figured the early demo would be gold only and I'd just wait a week. If it's any 360 live account including silver -- free -- I'll go grab it just for the SP demo. If there is SP in the early demo.
    Nah, EA had a thing where if you sign up for origin or something they'll email you a code to get the demo a week early on Xbox. It'll be made public for both 360/ps3 next week.

@psfreak, yeah you'll have to experience it to see. After playing through it again and getting back into rhythm it wasn't so bad. I liked the demo overall, but must be the only one who played it on here.

Edit: Ah yeah, there's universal ammo too. I know some people are happy about that, but bleh... I actually liked managing ammo.
    Last edited by LastManDancing; 01-16-2013 at 22:32.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I agree I dont like the idea of enemies with guns especially Necromorphs

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Sounds like they overhauled everything. Makes me not want to play the third one now.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

PSU Media Manager
    PSN ID
    King_Dank_Kush
    I've never played the first two Dead Space games. Would you recommend picking up Dead Space 3 and skipping the previous titles or should I buy the trilogy and play through the first two games?
    Best PS3 Website - PSU.com / CollegeOwlz - Sign up for the beta

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I liked it. It kind of reminded me of Lost Planet in some ways. And I actually signed up through the 360 dashboard. Got the code in my email right on the 15th.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2013 at 07:42.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I liked it. It kind of reminded me of Lost Planet in some ways. And I actually signed up through the 360 dashboard. Got the code in my email right on the 15th.
    Thats enough for me to never touch the game, even though I wasnt going to till it was cheaper (I hate that series so freaking much lol)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Enemies with guns what the actual $#@!. I want dead space not some generic TPS

Via Tapatalk

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinPinter View Post
    I've never played the first two Dead Space games. Would you recommend picking up Dead Space 3 and skipping the previous titles or should I buy the trilogy and play through the first two games?
    There are demos I believe, but story overall isn't important. I've done almost everything Dead Space (animated movies, comics, all the games) and I'll still have a hard time explaining to someone what the story is about. I say, play the demos and decide. I think they'll do a "previously on" in DS3 to catch you up with what's happening.

@Radgamer420, I didn't think of Lost Planet until someone else pointed it out, but yes; it feels a little like Lost Planet, which is weird because I saw some videos of LP3 and it looked like it was trying to be Dead Space.

@Fenix, but you're going to miss all the jump scares! That's like the only horror element in the demo. A few times guys would pop out of the snow and go "boo!"

Edit: I've read some mixed reactions, but this video actually got me hoping for the best with the game a few months ago. Hopefully, it'll make other people more optimistic.

Last edited by LastManDancing; 01-18-2013 at 11:44.

The first two Dead Space games were amazing.. and creepy

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Thats enough for me to never touch the game, even though I wasnt going to till it was cheaper (I hate that series so freaking much lol)
    I do too but I still liked this demo oddly enough.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleque View Post
    The first two Dead Space games were amazing.. and creepy
    Amazing? They were corridor shooters.

Super Elite
    Does that make them inherently NOT amazing? MGS4 was a bad movie, Uncharted 3 was a straight line, and Heavy Rain straight up sucked, but plenty of people have called them amazing.

EDIT: On a side note, thanks to LastManDancing for the video. It looked all right, but one thing I found funny was the guy narrating the video. "Here is how necromorphs would look controlling bodies over two hundred years old." And it's the same thing we've seen twice before. "Now this one was a dog, so we get to see how a necromorph would look and act after being made from an animal." It's the same thing.

Hopefully some new enemies represent what the guy was talking about, though. I'm interested in the game, but not like I was interested in DS2.
    Last edited by Forcedme; 01-22-2013 at 17:33.

Elite Member
    Well, in Dead Space's defense... what isn't a corridor shooter these days?

Dedicated Member

Dead space 3 Demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Sounds like they overhauled everything. Makes me not want to play the third one now.
    No, they didn't overhaul everything, they added a few things. I didn't even really notice some of the additions while I was playing until I saw te little messages telling me to try it out during the tutorial. The Necros with guns is basically because there is a new enemy type, like a head with tentacles that attaches and takes control of the dead body. Even the bodies of soldiers with guns! So, it's not like all the necros will have weapons. The weapon crafting is much more in depth and is pretty cool. Overall, I thought the demo was fantastic. I also like the huge bosses. This one will be a blast even on Co-op. Can't wait.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Overall I enjoyed it. Im looking forward to the game. It does feel a bit different but so did DS2. I don't see any problems with the game.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManDancing View Post
    Well, in Dead Space's defense... what isn't a corridor shooter these days?
    Halo 4, KZ3, BF3, and many others. The first two Dead Space are more similar to Doom 3. The other shooters I mentioned at least open up the environments from time to time rather than navigate corridors through the entire game. Dead Space 3 looks like theyre finally opening up their environments as well. But I'm sure people here will $#@! about it as they are very resistant to change. As for me I think this will be the first Dead Space that I'll actually enjoy all the way through.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-27-2013 at 18:41.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Halo 4, KZ3, BF3, and many others. The first two Dead Space are more similar to Doom 3. The other shooters I mentioned at least open up the environments from time to time rather than navigate corridors through the entire game. Dead Space 3 looks like theyre finally opening up their environments as well. But I'm sure people here will $#@! about it as they are very resistant to change. As for me I think this will be the first Dead Space that I'll actually enjoy all the way through.
    Yeah it's not confined to a ship now so it should be a bit spacious this time around. I really liked the gun crafting. I thought it was a nice addition.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah it's not confined to a ship now so it should be a bit spacious this time around. I really liked the gun crafting. I thought it was a nice addition.
    Yeah I liked that too.

Elite Member
    Halo 4, KZ3, BF3, and many others. The first two Dead Space are more similar to Doom 3. The other shooters I mentioned at least open up the environments from time to time rather than navigate corridors through the entire game. Dead Space 3 looks like they're finally opening up their environments as well. But I'm sure people here will $#@! about it as they are very resistant to change. As for me I think this will be the first Dead Space that I'll actually enjoy all the way through.
    Yeah, you're right.

I'm glad people like are liking the game.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Loved the demo. The environments and the enemies were beautiful, down to the tiniest detail. It is still scary in my opinion. They've added more "Boo! Here I am!" moments. What I didn't like: Weapon crafting. I have no interest in this whatsoever. Just give me more weapons and weapons upgrades and I'll be good. I hate having to tinker with crap in order to get a good weapon. I hated it in Final Fantasy XIII and hate it here. It takes too much time away from the action.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I was a little worried the game would lose some of its scare factor with the whole venue and enemy type changes but it's definitely still there. I have a feeling this one will be more action packed than any in the series.

Master Guru
    I liked the Dead Space 3 demo.

I'm picking the game up day one.

Thread Information