Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Conspiracy nut Alex Jones says the Pentagon created FPS games

Conspiracy nut Alex Jones says the Pentagon created FPS gamesPosted on January 15, 2013 by OG

Radio show host, and general conspiracy nutjob, Alex Jones has been making the rounds talking about the current gun control debate. Most notably, he made an appearance on Piers Morgan Tonight where the discussion over the right to bear arms became a bit more "passionate" than one would expect.

Last Wednesday, Jones called into the Opie and Anthony Show on Sirius XM to give a bit more insight on the debate he had two nights before with Piers Morgan. During the discussion of gun control and the current state of gun violence in the U.S., at the 3:31 mark, Jones brings up his facts about who created the first-person shooter.

Alex Jones: Criminals now will knock your window out when you're not there, and take the purse out of your car, wallet or your Playstation if you leave it in there, whatever, but they don't do the home invasions all over the country because they know most house have got people with guns who know how to use them. Plus with all these first shooter videogames, which the Pentagon originally developed, most people, you know now that have guns, even if they don't shoot a lot know damn well how to use them.

Anthony Cumia: I love Call of Duty by the way, I play it all the time. I don't like the idea that videogames are perpetuating this mass murder thing, I think it's more bull$#@! just like the assault weapons that aren't used, that statistically are not used.

Alex Jones: I don't say censor them, and I agree with you partially. What I'm saying is, I was raising the videogames saying that they were originally developed, that first person shooter this is on record, by the Pentagon to get really good at shooting. It's like a flight simulator.
    So next time you think there are far too many FPS games out there, put the blame on the Pentagon for developing them. Don't bother bringing up games like Maze War or Spasim that did first-person game back in the 1970s or even the classic arcade game Battlezone because those were not made by the Pentagon. Also, forget about giving id Software any credit for Catacomb 3-D or even Wolfenstein 3D for creating the FPS as we now know it. For

conspiracy guys like Alex Jones, the Pentagon originally planned this insanely popular genre of gaming to make gamers better shooters in the same way flight simulator make better pilots. Mind you this is the same Alex Jones that believes 9/11 was an inside job, that the shooting in Aurora, CO was staged by the government, and that Piers Morgan is a thug for the New World Order.

Alex, do us gamers a favor and keep your trap shut about gaming. We'll leave you in your fantasy world controlled by the NWO and we'll enjoy our fantasy worlds where we are in control.
    http://www.original-gamer.com/articl...ated-FPS-games

Alex Jones

You have finally lost the plot and have covered everything besides your own sanity and now it's proven that you need some mental help

Alex Jones
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

The Heisman

just keep him talking

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not to be confused with Aled jones

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Omg..can someone please pull up in a black van and snuff this $#@!ing asshole? Please...secret service, CIA, please just assassinate him.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    He's right you know.

The U.S. Department of Defense started working on war games in the 1950s. The military has collaborated with the entertainment industry over the last 20-30 years to create more advanced training simulators to use with their troops, which helped lead to the first-person-shooter.

It's not a conspiracy.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Well !
    Americas Army 3 is free to play but its probably more a recruitment tool.

Conspiracy is not use to describe untruths those are simply lies or if you prefer; bull$#@!.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-16-2013 at 02:28.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    You guys should read this Stanford paper on the Military Entertainment Complex:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41018144,d.dmg

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    He's right you know.

The U.S. Department of Defense started working on war games in the 1950s. The military has collaborated with the entertainment industry over the last 20-30 years to create more advanced training simulators to use with their troops, which helped lead to the first-person-shooter.

It's not a conspiracy.
    I know it! I don't know every thing about it but I knew they had developed a simulation for military use. But video games companies do not produce games because they want to train people how to kill. He's correct in that statement about the government making the first FPS but he's still a bit nutty.

Besides, for companies training killers won't work. Customers killing each other is bad for business

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    He's right you know.

It's not a conspiracy.
    His points would be valid if he didn't drown in insanity and fear-mongering his listeners with his absurd rants and yelling on-air like a stupid mad-man. And on top off that, he alienates anyone that disagrees with him on a topic. Resorts to elementary school behaviour because he knows he's wrong and being owned on air but tries to play it off by calling the caller a retard several times until he hangs up or hangs up the caller himself.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    His points would be valid if he didn't drown in insanity and fear-mongering his listeners with his absurd rants and yelling on-air like a stupid mad-man. And on top off that, he alienates anyone that disagrees with him on a topic. Resorts to elementary school behaviour because he knows he's wrong and being owned on air but tries to play it off by calling the caller a retard several times until he hangs up or hangs up the caller himself.
    Wrong. If the man is right, he's right, regardless of his demeanor and fear mongering. If he went outside on a sunny day and said, "The sky is blue!", would be be wrong because he thinks the government had a large role in bringing down building 7 on 9/11?

I've played with some of the simulators used by the Marine Corp when I was a kid (some 30 years ago). My father was a Marine and he would often take me to work whenever they would have the simulators set up. Some were so advanced, they would have 180 degree FOV with screen positioned at several points in front of you, and you played similarly to a rail-shooter. You couldn't choose where you went, but you could choose whether to shoot an innocent person or not. The simulations I was able to play used bolt-less assault rifles that had some photocell sensors attached to the barrel, essentially playing like a large game of duck hunt that required extreme accuracy.

There was another simulator I played that was inside some mock land vehicle. The windows were replaced with computer screens and they would broadcast images as if you were actually driving around in some environment. I don't know what the game was, or how it was played, but I imagine it was an M1 Abrams simulator. The vehicle I was sitting in wasn't an Abrams, though...

Other DoD simulations I've seen in the last five years was at the Association of the United States Army's Annual Expo. There was a ground-game simulator that was super advanced... had a 3D environment that you could move through, sensors on your helmet to change your POV, and ground controls to let you advance through the environment. There was also a simulation built into a Humvee and an EOD-bot simulator.

The Air Force has countless simulators for their aircraft and RPAs.

So, yes, I agree. The DOD was at the forefront of funding and creating the FPS genre for training soldiers.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Thing is...nowadays, the absurd is often true. Seen alot of alex jones over the years...read his $#@! blah blah. I keep an open mind...he does make me laugh tho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thread Information