Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder

Skype replaces Xbox Live chat, tipped for "next gen Xbox Live"

Having replaced MSN messenger with the recently acquired Skype service in 2011, Microsoft is now poised to do the same with Xbox Live chat, a CVG report indicates.

Someone close to the project is quoted as saying that Microsoft is "consolidating all their communications technology" around Skype, making it the firm's default communication service across PCs, tablets and consoles. "You might jump to the conclusion that we'll see asynchronous voice and video messages in next-gen Xbox Live," the insider added. Doesn't sound like much of a stretch, does it?

General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Guess you'll be able to have people in your Xbox Live lobby who are on their PCs.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Soldier 95B
    As long as chat works the way it is now or better, that is fine if they do this conversion. Xbox 360 already does video chat, voice chat and text chat with PC, so this sounds like an evolution.

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    no no no, i hate online and this i will avoid like a fat man in a cake shop

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Skype replaced Go Messenger on PSP in 2008ish, I didn't use either lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    This has me wondering. If they discontinued Windows Live Messenger, doesn't that mean that the Windows Live Messenger that is built into the Xbox 360 Guide is also discontinued?

Supreme Veteran

yes and that means, hopefully you details will be carried over to this Skype and you won't have to make a new tag or a new account

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Guess you'll be able to have people in your Xbox Live lobby who are on their PCs.
    Not only PC, Skype is multiplatform: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, android, TV, Vita.

Seems like sony is playing catchup with VOIP again. They better come up with something good for next gen.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-16-2013 at 21:30.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Soldier 95B
    I see Skype is on Windows Mobile and iPhone as well. Odd that Microsoft owns Skype, and supports competing platforms. I know it's beneficial in the long run, but still seems weird.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I see Skype is on Windows Mobile and iPhone as well. Odd that Microsoft owns Skype, and supports competing platforms. I know it's beneficial in the long run, but still seems weird.
    MS office is also on Mac. More the merrier.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    MS office is also on Mac. More the merrier.
    Yup. But I understand the reasoning for that...they wanted compatibility with their cash cow Office for Windows.

But, MS just bought Skype...so who knows what they will do. Maybe they will terminate support for other products?

I agree though, the more the merrier. I support that entire idea. Imagine playing on Xbox Live and having a party chat with someone on PS Vita or PS4.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    They need support from all platforms, that's how Skype made it's name in the first place. There must be a shitload of revenue coming in from people buying skype credits and stuff

I talk to my girlfriend on skype all the time ^_^

Forum Sage
    I would prefer they just did XBL chat powered by skype, but in the end it really doesn't matter much.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Yup. But I understand the reasoning for that...they wanted compatibility with their cash cow Office for Windows.

But, MS just bought Skype...so who knows what they will do. Maybe they will terminate support for other products?

I agree though, the more the merrier. I support that entire idea. Imagine playing on Xbox Live and having a party chat with someone on PS Vita or PS4.
    They make money from Skype, people have premium accounts and get charged money per minute to call land lines and stuff so I doubt any terminating will happen.

Forum Elder

Supreme Veteran

i have seen the same already, i have been giving the option to update my Messenger to skype and it seems ASIAN is the only place using the old Messenger

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    It would be great with both Sony and Microsoft went with Skype for chat, then you could talk to people not only across game but across systems! I am still waiting for the day that they somehow make it to where people with the same game on both systems can play online together! I think it would be fun to have Xbox vs PlayStation matches!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Thread Information