Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony relies heavily on retail so they cant go giving you super cheap prices cause then thgey $#@! on retail and then retail gets all "2 retailers 1 cup" on sonys ass. Just buy retail!
    retailers have little power in the equation though. go back 4 years and i'd agree with you, but most are going out of business. in the last week both blockbuster and HMV have gone into administration here, with GAME suffering similar last year. and these are BIG businesses here. i can't think of an american or norwegian (?) equivalent, but they are/were large high street stores

your 'wallmarts' of the UK are just playing at it and really couldn't give a $#@!, as demonstrated by their loss leader pricing and terrible displays.

the age of gaming retail, or at least their power, is done. its why they rely on 2nd hand sales and why the industry is desperate to wipe that out. its the only thing between them and direct sales.

*edit: in another thread i said that i was going to start a new topic on this. why are people not more indignant about the price of map-packs, HD remakes, DDs? we are forging our own (expensive) future. please, for the love of god, STOP buying things that you CLEARLY know are a rip-off.

the odd HD remake is fine, if its a good game, but we all know when something is too expensive.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 01-17-2013 at 03:24.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Master Guru
    I hate digital distribution. Period.

It's fine for DLC but for retail releases i just find it to be a terrible idea.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    The retailers have Sony's balls in a vice, if they were to offer the games at a lower price they risk them threatening not to supply their games or consoles.
    Thats not the problem though, they're not selling them at the same price nevermind less.

Basically if I can't get the game digitally off the US Store then I buy the disc.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

I agree.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I rarely prefer a digital release even if its at the same price. If I didn't I wouldn't have now €250 worth of points at my online retailer.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

What Ratchet said.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Flaw3d Genius
    I was on the Playstation Store last night for the first time in a long time to download that Japanese cartoon game....i was AMAZED at the prices for games £59.99...really? Thats $#@!ing MENTAL!!! Pretty sure i've never seen a game that price on Xbox Live?

God help us when every game is downloaded....will need to buy a gaming PC and buy off steam as those games are half the price if not even cheaper.
    Last edited by Flaw3d Genius; 01-17-2013 at 11:49.

Dedicated Member
    I too have noticed this for quite awhile, i had assumed it was due to the fact people can gameshare, (is it 3 accounts now?), having the price high perhaps a way of countering lost sales. But with prices that high i doubt many people buy in the first place so... *shrugs*

Probably not the reason why but was my fist assumption once i started noticing PSN Full games were a good £10-15 more in some cases (than street prices).

Unless of course they have found a way to stop or hinder gamesharing, i haven't done so in awhile so i wouldn't know. (But i recently logged on to my PSN via the SEN site to deactivate my old dead ps3 and i noticed it has upto 3 PS3's that can be linked to your ID.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    because they don't have to.
    Actually yes they do have to, have you noticed recently that Valve could be eating into the console business now by having the Steam Box plug and play based? It'll be more like a console than a console! And more PC games have been sold during 2012 than consoles games put together - PC game prices are that cheap.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Actually yes they do have to, have you noticed recently that Valve could be eating into the console business now by having the Steam Box plug and play based? It'll be more like a console than a console! And more PC games have been sold during 2012 than consoles games put together - PC game prices are that cheap.
    they wouldn't be that price if they weren't selling at volumes that MS, Sony and other publishers were happy with.

in other words too many people are happily being ripped off, which sets a bad precedent.

until the steam box becomes a valid competitor then neither company has to consider them in their pricing.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I hope you guys know Sony doesn't decide the pricing on third party games, the publishers do. Sony are better than most when it comes to digital pricing.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    until the steam box becomes a valid competitor then neither company has to consider them in their pricing.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ture-of-gaming

So the Steam Box is just a little PC, from what I can read from this interview. Just runs Linux, but you can put on Windows, or whatever. For some reason I was thinking this was a Steam gaming machine, similar to Xbox/PS. But it's just a computer that has an OS, and you can just run Steam on it like normal?

And it is $1100 for the good one with taxes?
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 01-17-2013 at 20:57.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    People never seem to read things properly. The Steambox will be based off of Xi3's configurable PC. Their cheapest system is $500 and can run most games at maximum, for something so small that's amazing, on top of that the Steam Box will sell initially with a customsied Valve OS based on Ubuntu that will automatically launch Steam into "Big Picture" mode, so essentially it will play exactly like a console without you needing to touch a mouse or keyboard. Can't keep up with the newest games? Then just get a small add-on.

Console gamers tend to forget one major thing, those game prices you pay for never seem to drop below £10, check out the games on Steam and you'll see games between £5-10. On top of that new games are around £20-30 and not £50!

You might save money by a couple hundred pounds getting a console, but you will never save the amount of money you do on games than you do the PC, and if the SteamBox works as a bridge between consoles and PC then I can see Sony and MS needing to drop those DD prices dramatically. Assassins Creed III at £60 on console or £25 on PC? You decide.

Soldier 95B
    The cost of games don't bother me in the least. In fact, the cost of the console doesn't bother me in least. Retail games or Digital Download, no matter to me. The reason many of us are console gamers (outside of exclusives) is the simplicity of it all. If Steam Box is as simple as the Xbox/PS, and priced similar, with an equal experience, I would buy a Steam Box.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ture-of-gaming

So the Steam Box is just a little PC, from what I can read from this interview. Just runs Linux, but you can put on Windows, or whatever. For some reason I was thinking this was a Steam gaming machine, similar to Xbox/PS. But it's just a computer that has an OS, and you can just run Steam on it like normal?

And it is $1100 for the good one with taxes?
    Really?! I was thinking they would be around 400-500 as it is strictly for gaming. Or am I misunderstanding you?
    Last edited by PS4freak; 01-17-2013 at 21:17.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Really?! I was thinking they would be around 400-500 as it is strictly for gaming.
    From what I am reading, there is a range. $500-$1000.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    From what I am reading, there is a range. $500-$1000.
    That's a shock. Not very competitively priced. Hell my PC can run about anything on high settings and it was 500 and some change.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    I hope you guys know Sony doesn't decide the pricing on third party games, the publishers do. Sony are better than most when it comes to digital pricing.
    I have seen Sony 1st party games coming out at £49.99.....That's a bloody awful price for a digital download especially when the shops were selling the exact same game for £37. The more you support it the more chance of it becoming standard for PS4.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Don't forget that these are custom built and are very very small., half the size of your consoles too. But still remember in the long run you'll save hundreds from buying games.

I wondered about this, there are games that I can buy for 35% of the PSstore price on Amazon or Game? Mental! At that level of difference convenience doesn't enter into it for me. I agree about Steam, a much more sane way of going about things. Lets hope the DD idea doesn't completely screw up PS4. Seems like these folks are learning nothing from the travails of the record and film industries in recent years.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Sony are cheeky $#@!s for takin the piss...only a $#@!wit would pay extra for a digital version of a game thats cheaper in an actual store.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

22. Likes John25 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I wish I could enlighten you. Many times I have seen games on the PS Store cost more than retail. Especially PS Vita games.
    I agree with you. Lego Batman, ninja 2, spy huner, and some other are games at bestbuy are selling for 19.99. The PSN store is selling them for 34.99 and up.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    Some of the prices are quite insane i remember when FIFA 12 or 13 & "Cars" just came up, it had the same pricing as cart based games from the Nes/Snes era. But atleast those used the excuse of cart based games being more expensive to produce while this not even a physical product, but a digital version of a crap game and another one that drops in price in stores, as soon as its been out for more than a month.

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

PSN ID
    qotsa_90
    Maybe they've had some consumer feedback as Darksiders 1 is available for a measly £3!. The Sly Trilogy also looks insanely tempting at £7.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hill Is Silent View Post
    Maybe they've had some consumer feedback as Darksiders 1 is available for a measly £3!. The Sly Trilogy also looks insanely tempting at £7.
    I`ll give em feedback...the $#@!ers..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information