Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

VG247: Devs say PS4 has a 50% raw power advantage over 720.

If latest rumours regarding next generation hardware are to be believed, the next PlayStation is to be significantly more powerful that the next Xbox.

Developer sources, speaking after meetings at CES, have told VG247 that the next PlayStation, codenamed Orbis, will have a run-capability of 1.84 teraflops. Conversely, the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, will be able to achieve 1.23 teraflops.

If true, these numbers mean PlayStation 4 will have a 50% raw, computational power advantage over Xbox 720.

While PS4 will have greater grunt that 720, however, the Microsoft machine has significantly more RAM at 8Gb, we’ve been told. Our source said that 3Gb is reserved for the OS, apps and security, leaving 4-5Gb for games.

Orbis will have 4Gb of RAM, said our source, of which 1Gb will be reserved for for OS, security and apps, leaving some 3Gb for games.

Both machines will supposedly have have the ability to read 100Gb Blu-ray discs.

Durango is apparently based on the Radeon HD 8770 GPU.

PlayStation 4 has been previously rumoured to be built on AMD’s A10 APU.

It was recently claimed that the two machines are to be announced in late March. It’s widely assumed that both consoles will launch in November this year.

VG247 is under the impression that several media outlets are in possession of documents related to Durango from CES and are currently working on major leak stories.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/show...720-at-1-23tf/

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

2. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Not sure what is better...reading that article or watching the animated gif of Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Scarlet eating popcorn FTW!

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Soldier 95B
    This is getting good. Opposite stories rolling in each day. I no longer know up from down lol.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Not sure what is better...reading that article or watching the animated gif of Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn!
    it was just for you mate

7. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    it was just for you mate
    I appreciate it! Now if we can just find an animated gif of her doing jumping jacks or on a trampoline we would be set...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Pretty much exactly what I've been reading for the past 2 weeks, although its finally great to hear some OS overhead numbers. Really curious to see how RAM vs Power will turn out

E3 can't come soon enough

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Pretty much exactly what I've been reading for the past 2 weeks, although its finally great to hear some OS overhead numbers. Really curious to see how RAM vs Power will turn out

E3 can't come soon enough
    Is it me or do those OS overhead numbers seem really high though?! I am sure it will be trimmed down as time goes on and more RAM freed up for the games. I don't even think Windows has that kind of memory footprint! The last I heard for the PS3 is that it only uses ~50MB of space for the OS, they should just throw in 1GB of DDR3 specifically for the OS and leave all the other faster memory for game developers.

Soldier 95B

12. Likes TheBreezyBB , LfCpS3, MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yeah, that loud thud you just heard from the other side of the planet was me fainting and hitting the floor!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Is it me or do those OS overhead numbers seem really high though?! I am sure it will be trimmed down as time goes on and more RAM freed up for the games. I don't even think Windows has that kind of memory footprint! The last I heard for the PS3 is that it only uses ~50MB of space for the OS, they should just throw in 1GB of DDR3 specifically for the OS and leave all the other faster memory for game developers.
    The new consoles will have true multi tasking, like the vita does. You can pause the game and open up the internet browser or psn store. Maybe this time we can even open pictures and music, have cross game chat, streaming etc

Combine all of it and you realize that all those apps need RAM to be reserved for them

Apprentice

Well raw power is all theoretical ... hitting those numbers with software would mean that all games for PS4 would have to run with 100% hardware usage, which by now pretty much never happend in the history of Playstation.
    We saw in this generation that the major advantage of the 360 was it's shared 512 MB memory in comparision to PS3s 50:50 split up.
    And seeing now that M$ aims for twice the RAM amount for the next XBOX, I see the same scenario again with devs complaining about the lack of RAM on the PS4.
    I hope that Sonys alarmbells are going nuts right now and that they AT LEAST get on par with the next XBOX in terms of RAM.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Yesterday 720>ps4

Today ps4>720

Tommorow 720> ps4

and so on untill

720=ps4 < steam box

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Yesterday 720>ps4

Today ps4>720

Tommorow 720> ps4

and so on untill

720=ps4 < steam box
    I am interested in Steam Box.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by breaKdown.iNC View Post
    Well raw power is all theoretical ... hitting those numbers with software would mean that all games for PS4 would have to run with 100% hardware usage, which by now pretty much never happend in the history of Playstation.
    We saw in this generation that the major advantage of the 360 was it's shared 512 MB memory in comparision to PS3s 50:50 split up.
    And seeing now that M$ aims for twice the RAM amount for the next XBOX, I see the same scenario again with devs complaining about the lack of RAM on the PS4.
    I hope that Sonys alarmbells are going nuts right now and that they AT LEAST get on par with the next XBOX in terms of RAM.
    I think Sony is becoming the next nintendo without the bad parts of nintendo. What I mean is that Sony will put its internal studio demands over any other third party since sony exclusives can stand their own. However unlike nintedo sony aims to be the best in hardware aswell.
    Last edited by Itachi; 01-17-2013 at 17:46.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Yesterday 720>ps4

Today ps4>720

Tommorow 720> ps4

and so on untill

720=ps4 < steam box
    These stories keep contradicting each other. First 720 is more powerful then PS4 then 720 again,etc.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I think Sony is becoming the next nintendo without the bad parts of nintendo. What I mean is that Sony will put its internal studio demands over any other third party since sony sxclusives can stand their own. However unlike nintedo sony aims to be the best in hardware aswell.
    that would be a bad move.......the Playstation brand was never ever huge because of its first party lineup, it was because of third party support.

So long as the playstation was the de facto console of choice for third party developers, it was king. It is not a surprise that marketshare on console went down once developers showed equal interest in another console.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by acryllicaltair View Post
    that would be a bad move.......the Playstation brand was never ever huge because of its first party lineup, it was because of third party support.

So long as the playstation was the de facto console of choice for third party developers, it was king. It is not a surprise that marketshare on console went down once developers showed equal interest in another console.
    I kinda agree with both you, Sony is kinda like Big N but their games are more varied & mature, but they was also known as a platform holder developers loved, titles like Tekken, Ridge Racer, FF, Resident Evil (actually no, Capcom are $#@!s) even Tomb Raider was associated with Playstation, some was exclusive some had a strong link to the platform

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    "our source"

otherwise known as the gaf forums.

bit of a joke really. these rumours are often like self-fulfilling prophecies. forums hear rumours, who gain validation from websites, whose "sources" are forums

*sigh*

*edit:
    VG247 is under the impression that several media outlets are in possession of documents related to Durango from CES and are currently working on major leak stories.
    and there you have it. admission that vg247 doesn't actually have a source that knows anything concrete or up to date.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 01-17-2013 at 19:17.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

23. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Heard it from a friend who Heard it from a friend who
    Heard it from another you been messin' around
    They say you got a boy friend
    You're out late every weekend
    They're talkin' about you and it's bringin' me down

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    They have only half the picture from what Im hearing.\

Numbers are correct, but the 360 has 2 of them apparently.

Forum Elder
    i'm sure PS4 will be the more powerful system, but going off this past gen, will it matter?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i'm sure PS4 will be the more powerful system, but going off this past gen, will it matter?
    For third party multi-platform titles which ever one is easier to develop for will be where the graphics are at...

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    "our source"

bit of a joke really. these rumours are often like self-fulfilling prophecies. forums hear rumours, who gain validation from websites, whose "sources" are forums

*sigh*

*edit:

and there you have it. admission that vg247 doesn't actually have a source that knows anything concrete or up to date.
    Well there you go. Just another bs rumor.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    "our source"

*sigh*

*edit:

It says in the first line " developers after a meeting at CES"
    The only thing I know thats Gaf related is a journalist who posts on Gaf regarding this article who said its semi accurate but wasn't allowed to say what parts was invalid or not

Sent via Codec

Thread Information