Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Thumbs down

It's perfect as it is except maybe a redesign of the triggers.

Although, I wouldn't say no to a couple more buttons in general. That would be good, with games becoming more complicated plus it would make PC ports more simple.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Thumbs down

It's perfect as it is except maybe a redesign of the triggers.

Although, I wouldn't say no to a couple more buttons in general. That would be good, with games becoming more complicated plus it would make PC ports more simple.
    i agree with the more buttons thing, the original xbox had the black and white buttons, hopefully we get something similar.

i think the re-design is to mirror the market more than anything o.O
    Nintendo and every other company with a console (Nvidia) all have chunky controllers. i guess Sony have no choice in the matter.
    that being said, i have no problems with the DS3. it fits my hands just as well as any other controller. im not too bothered, so long as its not a boomerang -.-
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Perfection shouldn't be messed with.
    Yeah they way I see it, is if they do change what is close to perfection - it'll only be to make it even more perfect, so it's all good!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I must be the only one who is happy with the current dualshock. I love it as it is...perfect for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by jj03; 01-18-2013 at 20:20.

5. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    I would prefer a redesign of the analog stick ( not their location, how they feel)

To me they are too easy to slip off, especially during intense gaming. They also need a little more resistance, 360 did it very well ( maybe a little too much resistance)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    I would prefer a redesign of the analog stick ( not their location, how they feel)

To me they are too easy to slip off, especially during intense gaming. They also need a little more resistance, 360 did it very well ( maybe a little too much resistance)
    That is the issue I run into with the analog sticks as well as the L2/R2 triggers, they just need to make the analog sticks dish shaped like the original PlayStation Dual Analog Pads (the one before the Dualshock!):

instead as are going to end up with something like this...

Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 01-18-2013 at 21:17.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

8. Likes LfCpS3 likes this post
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Honestly, Sony doesn't really have to change their controller. I know people this gen have said Xbox 360's pad is better for shooters, but the DualShock still works just fine for any genre from what it seems. Plus, Vita follows the DualShock format, so if Sony wants to continue cross play, it's probably going to be easier to do so if the button layout is consistent.

I suppose it's a good time for change, but I never found it necessary (unless you have big hands, I suppose, but oddly enough I don't often hear about that). I like the breakaway dualshock motion controller concept since it doesn't abandon traditional usability for motion controls. The balls on top are the biggest risk, though, in terms of design and general likeability.

LOL that thing looked soooooooooo uncomfortable...

...and ugly too (though I don't mind ugly if it's for the sake of ergonomics). But that's just my opinion, of course.
    people had that up on ebay for sale for like $100,000

Flaw3d Genius
    No Dual Shock?

Praise The Lord

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

...and ugly too (though I don't mind ugly if it's for the sake of ergonomics). But that's just my opinion, of course.
    What?. No!. I just want a Playstation brand boomerang to throw at people.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Honestly, Sony doesn't really have to change their controller. I know people this gen have said Xbox 360's pad is better for shooters, but the DualShock still works just fine for any genre from what it seems. Plus, Vita follows the DualShock format, so if Sony wants to continue cross play, it's probably going to be easier to do so if the button layout is consistent.

I suppose it's a good time for change, but I never found it necessary (unless you have big hands, I suppose, but oddly enough I don't often hear about that). I like the breakaway dualshock motion controller concept since it doesn't abandon traditional usability for motion controls. The balls on top are the biggest risk, though, in terms of design and general likeability.

I could see that being more ergonomically. Personally had my fill of jerks dissing the PS3 because of the "baby sized controller" I have big spider hands compaired to the people hwo said this and I've never had a problem with such. All I wish if anything was that the controller felt a little more 'premium' and not so cheapy/plasticy/frigile.
    Otherwise I was all for the rear touch pad on the controller, even a touch sceen. I remember the Playstation blog had a thing where they asked for controller ideas a while back and a few of us submitted something along those lines. The just better not build the Move into the standard controller and keep whatever that patent suggests as an optional accessory

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Please dont add gimmicky crap to the controller Sony the six-axis $#@! was bad enough.

Make the following changes and you have a 10/10 perfect controller
    1 - Bring back the long handles of the original PS1 controller.
    2 - Make it wider so people with big hands quit $#@!ing about it being too cramped.
    3 - Lose the triggers and make them buttons again. All triggers are crap.
    Last edited by HellsJester; 01-19-2013 at 00:24.

Veteran
    It was click-through sensationalism to use the word "abandon" rather than a word like "change" or "redesign". The nextgen Dual Shock already looks like it is going to be splittable, there is already a clip-on keyboard that fits between the grips and a screen can be clipped above, the Vita touch sensitive panel on the bottom. Somehow, this will all get cleaned up, so it is essentially a DS with a touch sensitive screen, slightly wider middle module. It is going to be a nextgen Dual Shock, not abandoned. It's far more likely that there will be some other type of controller available as a peripheral or in a bundle at launch.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

15. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    people might as well not respond to this post, as i'm not going to get drawn into an argument about it.

but it is simple ergonomics.

you may find the dual shock comfy now, but that's because you've used it for years. i like smoking cigarettes, maybe some of you do also, but if you honestly answered "did you like the first one", your response would be "no".

if you took a non gamer, and asked them whether the 360 pad or dual shock was more ergonomic id bet my house i'd know which would win.

don't get me wrong, i'm subject to this too - i suffered several hours of cramp getting used to the original xbox pad. i then used to tell friends "its a bit big, but its not that bad".

it definitely $#@!ing is/was. just as the dual shock doesn't leave your hands or digits anywhere near the corresponding buttons. you've just acclimatised yourself to it.

so in response to the thread title. GOOD!
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

17. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    Veteran
    I'm not so keen on some wii u like controller, and not so happy about them dropping off the dual shock, hopefully if they decide to try something new it's worth it for us gamers.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    As much as I love my dual shock 3, I have faith that Sony will produce something elegant

Via Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I really think Sony should stick with the dualshock controller. We've gotten use to it for over the past 15 years. Why change it? And why redesign the controller with a touch screen? Leave that to Nintendo. It's useless. I see no use in it. For an example, in one game the touch screen is use for interaction, I really don't want to use my thumb on a touch screen. Why use it when I already have my thumb on the x or square button. And having to look up and down at the controller will really annoy me. I don't know if this would bother any of you guys, but it defiantly will for me. Also with the design of the PS3 boomerang was horrible, it look like a child designed it. Call me old fashion, but dualshock is still the way to go. Hopefully this will stay a rumor. But if it doesn't, then I will like Sony to make the controller more comfortable to use.

Finally You Are Free
    There's absolutely no reason to redesign the controller, especially for some gimmicky bull$#@!. The best Sony could do is make the triggers less $#@!ty.

Veteran
    I hope we have the option of using this gen's dualshock.

23. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    people might as well not respond to this post, as i'm not going to get drawn into an argument about it.

you may find the dual shock comfy now, but that's because you've used it for years. i like smoking cigarettes, maybe some of you do also, but if you honestly answered "did you like the first one", your response would be "no".

if you took a non gamer, and asked them whether the 360 pad or dual shock was more ergonomic id bet my house i'd know which would win.

don't get me wrong, i'm subject to this too - i suffered several hours of cramp getting used to the original xbox pad. i then used to tell friends "its a bit big, but its not that bad".

it definitely $#@!ing is/was. just as the dual shock doesn't leave your hands or digits anywhere near the corresponding buttons. you've just acclimatised yourself to it.

What a load of steaming manure

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    He is telling the truth Cyn. Test it yourself. Hold your PS3 controller in your hand without purposely putting your thumbs on the sticks. Your thumbs will be nowhere near the analog sticks in their natural positions.

Now do the same with an Xbox 360 controller and your hands are much closer to their natural positions and are covering the right buttons that are mostly used in games.

For example, I just tested it myself to make sure I wasn't talking out my own ass. When holding my DS3 my left thumb rests over the D-Pad and my right thumb covers almost all of the buttons on the right. When holding my 360 controller my left thumb naturally goes on the left analog stick and my right thumb rests directly between the A button and the right analog stick. That for me means that I have only minimal movement outwith my natural hand position to reach desired function on the controller. On the DS3 though both my hands are completely out of natural positions and my hands are mimicking a claw like shape.

Now I have used Sony controllers since the Playstation way back in the day and have got used to the controller but it still gives me some hand and wrist pain when playing for longer periods of time.
    Last edited by EHY893; 01-19-2013 at 15:21.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I don`t find resting my hands on the ds uncomfortable, and i have big hands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    People just love bashing the DS because it's "Hip". Long live DS!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

28. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post

Slow down! I am pretty sure the original Xbox pad was spawned by Satan himself in the fiery depths of hell! I had the original launch Xbox and that was probably the worst controller that I have ever used, it was insanely uncomfortable!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    For me, the standard 360 dpad was worse than the PS3 dpad. But the new 360 dpad (the transforming dpad), I now enjoy more than the PS3 dpad.
    The transforming D-pad is probably the best available right. The original 360 D-pad sucks though.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    He is telling the truth Cyn. Test it yourself. Hold your PS3 controller in your hand without purposely putting your thumbs on the sticks. Your thumbs will be nowhere near the analog sticks in their natural positions.

Now do the same with an Xbox 360 controller and your hands are much closer to their natural positions and are covering the right buttons that are mostly used in games.

For example, I just tested it myself to make sure I wasn't talking out my own ass. When holding my DS3 my left thumb rests over the D-Pad and my right thumb covers almost all of the buttons on the right. When holding my 360 controller my left thumb naturally goes on the left analog stick and my right thumb rests directly between the A button and the right analog stick. That for me means that I have only minimal movement outwith my natural hand position to reach desired function on the controller. On the DS3 though both my hands are completely out of natural positions and my hands are mimicking a claw like shape.

Now I have used Sony controllers since the Playstation way back in the day and have got used to the controller but it still gives me some hand and wrist pain when playing for longer periods of time.
    I'm a big sweaty hairy man with large hands and I don't have any problem holding the DS for extended periods of time

You're supposed to hold it like that. The clawed hands, with the sides of the controller resting between fingers and palm. You say that like it's the problem, how is it? It's no less ergonomically difficult than holding any other pad (except the gamecube one which felt great) and much more pleasing to hold than the terrible 360 pad.

Holding it with clawed hands (DS) rather than with your palms (360 pad) gives your thumbs a greater range of motion.

Also his argument that the DS analogue stick position is bad is nonsense. The two being parallel to each other is a far better ergonomic design than one being high and the other low. The new Wii U pro controller is also much better than the 360 pad for this reason.
    Last edited by Cyn; 01-21-2013 at 18:09.

Thread Information