Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 104
  1. #76
    Veteran
    Shibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,154
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    14,541 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Since MW, the series has pioneered the FPS genre in terms of multiplayer.
    You say 'pioneered', I say 'ruined'.

    Cod4 was great, I loved it and it is probably my most played game ever. But it single handedly destroyed innovation in the genre. Most FPS developers post-cod4, because of its success, tried to make their game more like it, and as a result you see generic shooters over and over and over and over again. This, is why I "hate" COD.


  2. Likes HellsJester likes this post
  3. #77
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,737
    Rep Power
    66
    Points
    36,009 (0 Banked)
    Call of Duty is hated because it's popular. That's the only real reason.

    People can't stand the fact that other people are having fun and they're not.


  4. #78
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    159
    Points
    69,048 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I have a slight suspicion that you might not be into online shooters much or maybe that's not the genre of your choice.
    I'd say it's actually one of my favorite genres, since online shooters make for good value, which is why they're popular. I put over 100 hours of play time into Modern Warfare 2, and I was addicted to a number of other online shooters too, like Bad Company 2, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament 3, MAG, etc.

    I just want something a little different from my online shooters now. I'd like a good Unreal/Quake-esque game right now, since there hasn't been one in a few years. Something more fast-paced, over-the-top, and visceral. I'm also interested in the more complex, large-scale, strategic shooters, such as DUST 514, which I'm really excited to start playing tomorrow.

    Call of Duty has a very good formula, don't get me wrong. I just need a break from it. Perhaps I'll jump back on the wagon once the first COD is released for the next-gen consoles. That will allow them to finally make some significant improvements as well.

  5. #79
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    You say 'pioneered', I say 'ruined'.

    Cod4 was great, I loved it and it is probably my most played game ever. But it single handedly destroyed innovation in the genre. Most FPS developers post-cod4, because of its success, tried to make their game more like it, and as a result you see generic shooters over and over and over and over again. This, is why I "hate" COD.
    Alright. But what developer actually did a good job with it? None so far that I can remember. If someone actually made a better COD, I'd buy that. That makes me angry at those developers, not IW/Treyarch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'd say it's actually one of my favorite genres, since online shooters make for good value, which is why they're popular. I put over 100 hours of play time into Modern Warfare 2, and I was addicted to a number of other online shooters too, like Bad Company 2, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament 3, MAG, etc.

    I just want something a little different from my online shooters now. I'd like a good Unreal/Quake-esque game right now, since there hasn't been one in a few years. Something more fast-paced, over-the-top, and visceral. I'm also interested in the more complex, large-scale, strategic shooters, such as DUST 514, which I'm really excited to start playing tomorrow.

    Call of Duty has a very good formula, don't get me wrong. I just need a break from it. Perhaps I'll jump back on the wagon once the first COD is released for the next-gen consoles. That will allow them to finally make some significant improvements as well.
    Alright, I can understand. I had the same feeling a couple of years ago. Which is why I skipped MW3. Been playing BF3 all this time. I was excited about Dust but I've heard mixed reviews about that. I would personally love an MMO shooter, i.e. Planetside 2.

    Honestly if COD did not have SnD, I wouldn't even bother with it...well it's still fun to unlock stuff but after that I wouldn't play it...it's due to the amount of modes they have, is why I like it.

  6. #80
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,616
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    331 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    does it really matter anymore, we all in this thread and including you

    All have covered every reason why many hate and many love, can this be dropped. Because you are not going to get the answer you seek and that is a shame, because the answer or answers are all in this thread for you to study
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  7. #81
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,659
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    37,228 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'd say it's actually one of my favorite genres, since online shooters make for good value, which is why they're popular. I put over 100 hours of play time into Modern Warfare 2, and I was addicted to a number of other online shooters too, like Bad Company 2, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament 3, MAG, etc.

    I just want something a little different from my online shooters now. I'd like a good Unreal/Quake-esque game right now, since there hasn't been one in a few years. Something more fast-paced, over-the-top, and visceral. I'm also interested in the more complex, large-scale, strategic shooters, such as DUST 514, which I'm really excited to start playing tomorrow.

    Call of Duty has a very good formula, don't get me wrong. I just need a break from it. Perhaps I'll jump back on the wagon once the first COD is released for the next-gen consoles. That will allow them to finally make some significant improvements as well.
    Yeah I wouldn't mind a new proper Unreal Tournament! Seeing as they are going to be using UE5 for next generation hardware I can only hope they release a proper one. I thought UT3 was terrible, they slowed it down too much

  8. #82
    Apprentice
    SHAZZMAZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Eaton England UK
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    1,286 (385 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    I dont hate the Modern Warfare games in fact i love them. BUT the Black Ops games are $#@! i hate them sooooo much im not buying anymore Black Ops games no matter what they are like.

    Most people hate COD because:

    Lagging
    camping
    some of the gameplay glitchers
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

    No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

    Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

    Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

  9. #83
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,611
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    7,130 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Alright. But what developer actually did a good job with it? None so far that I can remember. If someone actually made a better COD, I'd buy that. That makes me angry at those developers, not IW/Treyarch.
    That is indeed not the franchise's fault. Trying to out-CoD CoD is counterproductive and doesn't actually produce more sales since they have a better option available.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  10. #84
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    159
    Points
    69,048 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I was excited about Dust but I've heard mixed reviews about that.
    Well, it's still months away from its official release, and the game has already seen significant improvements since the closed beta began last year. So it probably shouldn't be fully judged until then.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't mind a new proper Unreal Tournament! Seeing as they are going to be using UE5 for next generation hardware I can only hope they release a proper one. I thought UT3 was terrible, they slowed it down too much
    It needed to be that slow for controllers though. I personally don't like playing games with a mouse, so that was good for me. The main problem with UT3 was the lack of players. I was tired of facing mostly bots.

  11. #85
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post
    I dont hate the Modern Warfare games in fact i love them. BUT the Black Ops games are $#@! i hate them sooooo much im not buying anymore Black Ops games no matter what they are like.

    Most people hate COD because:

    Lagging
    camping
    some of the gameplay glitchers
    There's lag in every game. COD isn't exclusive in this.

    Every online shooter has campers...well, maybe not UT.

    I haven't seen any gameplay glitchers...rarely and that happens in almost every online shooter at some point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    That is indeed not the franchise's fault. Trying to out-CoD CoD is counterproductive and doesn't actually produce more sales since they have a better option available.
    Not only it's counterproductive, because developers aren't businesspersons, they don't understand that you actually should create something different so you can create a niche market.

  12. #86
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,611
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    7,130 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Not only it's counterproductive, because developers aren't businesspersons, they don't understand that you actually should create something different so you can create a niche market.
    I think it's the actual business people forcing developers into replicating what's popular since they know nothing about gaming, haha. Any successful franchise has it's own identity, mere emulation doesn't cut it.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  13. #87
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,616
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    331 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Aka GTA is the same story over and over again, Mario is the same story over and over again

    you see, you make a winner and it turns out massive. Why fix something that is not broken, you just add a few more things and pass it of as completely new game

    which is bull$#@! in any industry
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  14. #88
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I think it's the actual business people forcing developers into replicating what's popular since they know nothing about gaming, haha. Any successful franchise has it's own identity, mere emulation doesn't cut it.
    You're right, but I think those publishers aren't good businesspersons. This is Business 101.
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Aka GTA is the same story over and over again, Mario is the same story over and over again

    you see, you make a winner and it turns out massive. Why fix something that is not broken, you just add a few more things and pass it of as completely new game

    which is bull$#@! in any industry
    I don't believe that. While GTA is repetitive, it always has new gameplay elements and tons of them too. There has to be something about the game that people enjoy or it won't work.

    i.e. COD's biggest advantage is that it's so popular that even if they don't improve a lot, people will still play it because everyone else is. And there are new guns, new maps, some new perks/gadgets, I think that pretty much covers what most people want.

    The fact that COD keeps selling so well is because they're doing something right.

  15. #89
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,616
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    331 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    look we could argue night and day over this... GTA is like C.O.D in my opinion

    Same stuff over and over again, with some new features added and that is how it is

    the only thing that makes them different is the fans that play them
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  16. #90
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    look we could argue night and day over this... GTA is like C.O.D in my opinion

    Same stuff over and over again, with some new features added and that is how it is

    the only thing that makes them different is the fans that play them
    That's what I'm saying. Yes, the missions are repetitive but the gameplay elements, what attracts everyone to the series, is what sells the game. Also, the voice overs and cutscenes are pretty much the highlight of the missions anyway.

    I don't think it's all that much like COD as GTA always continues to break the barrier of video gaming...whereas COD brought some great innovations but now they're sitting on them improving them gradually. Rockstar is one of the most talented developers out there. RDR's storyline was great and that was a clone of GTA.

  17. #91
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    10,602 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Here's my 2 cents.

    Play COD2, COD3, and WAW. I know different teams and engines, but the games play vastly different. The difference? Once COD4 came out, all the games had to follow a certain pattern. The MW series is practically the same, minus that they try to outdo the former by adding more "stuff". I don't fault them, they hit a ridiculous high that the previous COD games never hit. With a winning formula I can see why they aren't that much different from each other.

    I played COD4 a ridiculous amount, even got the gold AK without cheating. I loved that game. However, after playing WAW and MW2, I got burned out. It felt the exact same, except now people run around with knives stabbing from long distances and shotguns are considered secondaries. The thing I liked most about COD4 is you couldn't have a silencer and a scope, you had to compromise. Every game just makes it easier and easier, more focused on fun ways to kill others than making an experience outside of holding down R2.

    I don't understand the part on how it's hated so much, though. What I mean is, the game is always the number 1 played Xbox live game, it ranks in the top 5 a lot on steam, and it's probably the most played on PSN. For the amount of "haters" it might have, they're the minority compared to the fans.

  18. #92
    Forum Sage
    BBK..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,659
    Rep Power
    87
    Points
    37,228 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ^^ Off topic - I just started watching the wire (My Steam name is now Stringer Bell ) so i thought i'd comment to say i'm digging the picture of Lester

    And you are right, CoD4 was the pinnacle of the COD series. Best guns, best maps and best perks - apart from the 3x grenade one.

  19. #93
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,071
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    10,602 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Lol, yeah I love the wire. It's my favorite show and Lester is my fav (but everyone is $#@!ing awesome in that show)

    OT: I don't think any of the games have been as good as CoD4. I even liked COD3, but there was something about 4 that changed everything. I just haven't played a COD game that felt as fresh as 4, and I'm kinda bummed by that. If the developers had more say I bet there would be more than just a slight improvement.

  20. #94
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    22
    Points
    7,730 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    OT: I don't think any of the games have been as good as CoD4. I even liked COD3, but there was something about 4 that changed everything. I just haven't played a COD game that felt as fresh as 4, and I'm kinda bummed by that. If the developers had more say I bet there would be more than just a slight improvement.
    I loved CoD2. That was a great single player experience.



    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

  21. #95
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Honestly I don't miss MW...it was good for its time but they've done so much with the series now. I like the additions they make. Really, if it weren't for IW, we wouldn't have innovations in this genre. Yes it's repetitive and yes they're milking it but they've brought some awesome ideas.

    They took a few things from Halo such as auto-assist and regen and CS such as quick gameplay and game modes but they've given so much more back.

    They brought RPG elements to FPS and that's pretty rad imo. Yes, maybe they ruined it for the rest and I think others are finally realizing that the idea is not to copy them blatantly but to make what they want to make and then if they come across a feature they want in the game and it happens to be something COD innovated, then so be it, put it in there, heck make it better...after all, isn't that what MW did?

    They took a bunch of ideas from other great shooters, put some of theirs in the mix and voila.

  22. #96
    Veteran
    Shibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,154
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    14,541 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Alright. But what developer actually did a good job with it? None so far that I can remember. If someone actually made a better COD, I'd buy that. That makes me angry at those developers, not IW/Treyarch.
    That's the point I was making. They shouldn't be trying to make a better COD. Should be making their own game with their own ideas. But they're not doing that.
    Last edited by Shibby; 01-22-2013 at 01:27.


  23. #97
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So who should be blamed? IW for making a game that everyone wants to copy?

  24. #98
    Master Poster
    LegendaryAim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,115
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    7,308 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Well, it's probably because they make them to often with no breathing room in between. Seriously, they should take the time between each game to make bigger and better improvements. On top of that, we have too many goddamn war games. I think we need to take a break from them. Personally, I think fps games like borderlands is a breath of fresh air in comparison. I wish we had more games like that.
    Pretty much...I didn't buy a COD after (Skipped WAW) MW2 and that was because it felt like the same $#@!. I bought BLOPS2 because for once. It felt like something completely different
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

  25. #99
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    13,697
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    82,208 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think that it's a 50/50 split in the hate opinion. Honestly i think one side is the hate is because it's popular tbh. Other side is the legitimate more understandable no progress argument. The game has made some changes over the past few years but nothing to set one leaps and bounds better than is predecessor. It just seems they are lazy with it because they know people will buy it. I like cod just as much as the next but there has not been a quantum leap since the original mw. Sad but true. Honestly though this won't change son until they see substantial sales decline.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  26. #100
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,198
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    102,833 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I think that it's a 50/50 split in the hate opinion. Honestly i think one side is the hate is because it's popular tbh. Other side is the legitimate more understandable no progress argument. The game has made some changes over the past few years but nothing to set one leaps and bounds better than is predecessor. It just seems they are lazy with it because they know people will buy it. I like cod just as much as the next but there has not been a quantum leap since the original mw. Sad but true. Honestly though this won't change son until they see substantial sales decline.
    But I don't understand this argument. They have made leaps just about any other developer this generation. If you sit down and play the first one and the one that just came out, there are some drastic changes. Are you going to tell me that GG, ND, creator of Gears of War and Bungie have done more improvements?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.