Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Why is COD hated so much?

I know this issue has been beaten to death but I'm curious as to why the series is hated so much. How this differs is that I'd like a real, legitimate reason as to why this series shouldn't exist or so is implied imo.

Since MW, the series has pioneered the FPS genre in terms of multiplayer.

Some of the things that still keep lead over every other shooter out there, easily, are:

1) Great controls (extremely important in a multiplayer shooter...or in any shooter...or any game for that matter).

2) Abundance of multiplayer modes.

3) 60fps or close to it most of the time.

4) Perks...although this is more like a preference. I do enjoy games with or without them although I can't think of a single game that has done it at least decently as COD has this generation.

Some other mentions are, imo, graphics as they may not be the best but maybe I'm looking at a different game here but to me, this is probably the best-looking multiplayer shooter series that boasts 60 fps. If there is another, please do let me know.

They've always improved on guns and gun attachments...people don't notice this but they always have.

I'm trying to keep this short but just about the only criticism I can think of as far as the COD series is that they have been milking it but why would you not when you have so many fans? And yes, the CEO dude is a douche. And yes, they did go a little crazy with killstreaks and stuff but I think they've tried to quiet that down in the later series.

Having played almost all great shooters of this generation, I just don't understand all the hate and I also fail to understand how people can hate something so much that has influenced almost every multiplayer shooter after it...mostly in good ways. MW was also influenced by shooters before it, it just made things better for others.

COD series looks like it's for newbies from face value but it does go pretty deep if you allow it to. It takes a lot of elements from one of the best shooters to date out there, Counter Strike and that's something, imo, you can't hate much on.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Well, it's probably because they make them to often with no breathing room in between. Seriously, they should take the time between each game to make bigger and better improvements. On top of that, we have too many goddamn war games. I think we need to take a break from them. Personally, I think fps games like borderlands is a breath of fresh air in comparison. I wish we had more games like that.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

3. Likes Nakatomi Uk likes this post
    Elite Member
    A lot of the hate is because the CoD games are so popular and people just like to hate (Or jelly that they're game isn't as popular [Killzone]).

I'm not a fan of perks/killstreaks, but I don't blame COD as much as other developers for just copying them.

And there are yearly releases, but like you said I don't blame them for making money. But, imo, too much of a good thing can be bad for you (Left 4 Dead/Assassin's Creed) and it turns me off from the franchise.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Super Elite
    The "They hate it because it's popular" thing has never EVER made any sense to me. I doubt very much it's the case. Being popular is one of the reasons I'd say BUT popular means well known, well known by a lot more people which increases the amount of people that dislike it.

A game played by millions is known by millions. a game played by thousands is often known only by thousands and not mentioned nearly as often
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    People just get on the bandwagon and hate on COD because its popular but they secretly buy the game and create a separate psn account so that their friends don't know

Personally I hate perks, they were ok in COD4 since they weren't anything too crazy (i'm looking at you MW2 nuke) but now they have perks and killstreaks for everything. I started to hate perks when other games started to copy them (Resistance 2). So that's why i don't buy COD games. I'll do a 1 day rental and play through their 6 hour campaign but i'm not interested in their MP so no buy.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Well, it's probably because they make them to often with no breathing room in between. Seriously, they should take the time between each game to make bigger and better improvements. On top of that, we have too many goddamn war games. I think we need to take a break from them. Personally, I think fps games like borderlands is a breath of fresh air in comparison. I wish we had more games like that.
    True, I think they do milk it a lot but what sort of improvement would you want? One can easily say something like "destruction" but that comes with issues as well, for one it may not be 60fps anymore after that. Not all games expand in that way...I don't see other games improving that much either.

Take BF for example, going from BC to BF3, the change is drastic but it only seems that way because they don't come out with a new game every year. MW and BO2 also have drastic changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManDancing View Post
    A lot of the hate is because the CoD games are so popular and people just like to hate (Or jelly that they're game isn't as popular [Killzone]).

I'm not a fan of perks/killstreaks, but I don't blame COD as much as other developers for just copying them.
    Totally agree, perks and killstreaks can be fun but also can be irritating. I also don't like it when other games copy them blatantly without giving much thought.

And there are yearly releases, but like you said I don't blame them for making money. But, imo, too much of a good thing can be bad for you (Left 4 Dead/Assassin's Creed) and it turns me off from the franchise.
    I agree, but then I skipped MW3, have skipped all treyarch one except BO and I don't play too much COD, once I buy one, I play for 3-5 month and then I move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zswordsman View Post
    People just get on the bandwagon and hate on COD because its popular but they secretly buy the game and create a separate psn account so that their friends don't know

Personally I hate perks, they were ok in COD4 since they weren't anything too crazy (i'm looking at you MW2 nuke) but now they have perks and killstreaks for everything. I started to hate perks when other games started to copy them (Resistance 2). So that's why i don't buy COD games. I'll do a 1 day rental and play through their 6 hour campaign but i'm not interested in their MP so no buy.
    I agree, MW2 ruined the series imo and is probably one of the worst in the series, although it was ambitious.

I also don't understand the "twitch shooter" argument. Alright, so what if it is? So is UT, CS, and just about any multiplayer shooter that relies on quick reflexes. There are also more tactical games that are slower, such as R6, BF3, SOCOM, Ghost Recon.

I love both kinds of games and see no reason why you should not like the other. I'm more into tactical shooters but I do enjoy twitch shooters as well even though I don't play that way, I can't. You honestly don't need to be a twitchy player to be good at COD. That's just a popular way to play the game, that's all. The game can be tactical if you allow it to be and it does a better job than most tactical shooters I've played. i.e. throwing flashbangs, concussion, smokes, HE nades and cooking nades...all are very sophisticated and accessible tactics that are only found in COD games (as in tactics that actually can change a scenario and can be used to tactically clear out rooms). No other game, to my knowledge does a better job.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-20-2013 at 07:56.

Veteran
    I think the OP might be carried away a bit.

1. I doubt CoD is "hated" to any significant degree if it's the most successful franchise in the industry.

2. Any popular "hatred" is aimed at the negative effects the series has on gaming as a result of its overwhelming success. Effects like less-inspired business decisions, making sequels with very minor updates, oversaturation of shooter games being released, etc...all for the sake of trying to get in on the popularity CoD is getting. These effects don't really have much to do with whether or not the CoD series itself is a quality franchise of games.
    Last edited by Bio; 01-20-2013 at 08:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Overseer
    COD is not hated?

Type "I hate COD" on google.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    1. I doubt CoD is "hated" to any significant degree if it's the most successful franchise in the industry.
    It just means there are a lot of people who like COD too.

2. Any popular "hatred" is aimed at the negative effects the series has on gaming as a result of its overwhelming success. Effects like less-inspired business decisions, making sequels with very minor updates, oversaturation of shooter games being released, etc...all for the sake of trying to get in on the popularity CoD is getting. These effects don't really have much to do with whether or not the CoD series itself is a quality franchise of games.
    I agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Totally agree, perks and killstreaks can be fun but also can be irritating. I also don't like it when other games copy them blatantly without giving much thought.
    Perks/killstreaks make games harder to balance and for new people to join later. I think ranking up should unlock cosmetic designs that don't affect gameplay.

For example, you have someone coming into Uncharted 3 at level 1 with bronze perks and a generic ak47 and they're getting blown up by someone who's like level 50 with gold fleet foot (Faster movement while aiming), gold team safe (Don't get stunned by explosives), and chloe's m9 (target mark, scope, and reload speed). They have an even greater advantage than being better accustomed to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    The "They hate it because it's popular" thing has never EVER made any sense to me. I doubt very much it's the case. Being popular is one of the reasons I'd say BUT popular means well known, well known by a lot more people which increases the amount of people that dislike it.

A game played by millions is known by millions. a game played by thousands is often known only by thousands and not mentioned nearly as often
    It doesn't make sense, but they're people like that. There are people who hate on something without ever experiencing it or without better reason because its too popular/mainstream. Its "cool."

But now, I think people have just moved on.
    Last edited by LastManDancing; 01-20-2013 at 08:48.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManDancing View Post
    It just means there are a lot of people who like COD too.

I agree with this completely.

Perks/killstreaks make games harder to balance and for new people to join later. I think ranking up should unlock cosmetic designs that don't affect gameplay.

For example, you have someone coming into Uncharted 3 at level 1 with bronze perks and a generic ak47 and they're getting blown up by someone who's like level 50 with gold fleet foot (Faster movement while aiming), gold team safe (Don't get stunned by explosives), and chloe's m9 (target mark, scope, and reload speed). They have an even greater advantage than being better accustomed to the game.
    I agree that perks make it difficult for new comers but I don't think it's as bad as some other games like BF3 where you can't even use weapons/equipment that you need for survival, not to mention the weapon attachments that you need.

But true, it does make it difficult. Although I'm generally a late-comer in COD games and it doesn't affect me too much.

In COD, I've noticed that people move on from regular team deathmatch to hardcore or other modes. I see a lot of newbies in regular team deathmatches and for that reason I don't think they have much of a disadvantage.

On the other hand, I enjoy perks as it gives you a chance to outdo the opponents if you choose the right perks and you know how to use them well.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Because it promotes war
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer
    If joking then, "ha ha", if serious then I'll have to disagree as BF3 is more of a war sim than COD and that game doesn't get as much hate.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I am joking mate, i only Hate C.O.D

because of some of the $#@!s online and how they sit to make their kill
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer
    Then you must hate all shooters?

Superior Member
    I used to think Halo attracted all the little kiddie punks out there but having played both and now getting into some Halo 4, it seems like many of them jumped ship to CoD. The CoD community is much, much worse than Halo when it comes to online interactions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Forum Overseer
    Having more user base would mean more kids, also the game is very accessible, which would attract kids. I can't argue against that but I personally have not had issues where I could not play due to screaming/annoying kids. If that were the case, I'd just mute them.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i generally tend not to provide my own opinion here, but i'll try word one out this time.

in a nutshell, its not my type of game. i dislike everything the COD franchise stands for. cheap and tacky and not worth its purchasing price; which is damn high.
    i will admit my perspective is skewed as none of my friends or I play COD, but i can't stand to play COD. for instance, until recently, my last online endeavor was Killzone 2. i loved the online in that. objectives given to a team on the fly, ground level tactics playing out all the time. when you got into a good match, the strategies were at odds constantly, it required you to think before making a decision. and once you made a decision, you buckled down for a hard fight. and if you were good enough, notice a shift with your enemies plans and adapt your strategy accordingly.
    i've played cod and gotten nothing from it but "Shoot all the people". kill enough people, and we'll reward you. therein lies why i think it is cheap; on the fly rewards...i don't like to be coddled in that manner. there isn't anything tangible in it for me.

but what most gets me is everyone is basically the same. no one has a role.

i've played a bit of COD4, i've watched friends of friends have at it in later installment. i cannot get the attachment to a game that shallow.

Killzone and most recently Dust, require that you make a concerted effort planning out your movements on the battlefield. and the most important part is that not every soldier on the field is the same. every soldier class plays differently. their core gameplay is different to other classes. and this is before you give them a gun.
    its a rock, paper, scissors mechanic that aids in the aforementioned planning of how you approach a decision. Killzone in particular was GLORIOUS in action.
    for example, if you are a sniper. do you kill the heavy who is butchering your team? or do you kill the medic, so that once the heavy is down he wont get back up again?
    if you are a medic, where do you position yourself? behind your team? or in the middle?

i don't mind that COD exists, i care more about the way COD exists. milking people for what i would consider a lackluster game. a cheap and shallow game with an expensive price tag.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer
    Alright, good point. Though let me bring COD's side. 1) It has an abundance of modes. It has some modes that require a lot of precision and tactical gameplay. This is what I meant when I said that from the cover, it looks like a game newbies because all you do is kill and gain xp, unlock stuff and get killstreaks for more super easy kills. True but once you get into modes such as Search & Destroy (which doesn't have respawn btw, for hardcores like myself) and there's demolition and bomb plant.

2) You're comparing a somewhat tactical shooter to COD. What COD offers, KZ2 does not and vice versa. I tried playing KZ2 and 3 and imo it's nowhere near as team-based as BF3 or SOCOM. Though if you see it that way, I can understand that. I did not but then again, I didn't give it a chance to really get into it so I guess I can't argue.

There are certain things about it that are cheap, i.e. killstreak awards and simplistic gameplay, I understand and I think that's their attempt to get the mainstream and it work. I agree with this part. It is pretty cheap. I personally don't play team deathmatch much, unless I want to unlock something because it's easier to get kills in it. Usually I play COD games for the game modes that require team play.

P.S. KZ2 and 3 takes some concepts from COD btw

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Then you must hate all shooters?
    Nope, because i avoid all online shooters now

21. Likes Omar likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Because the new black ops doesnt have Zork, I am disapoint Zork is the only good thing about CoD

Thank you itachi

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    All this bull$#@! about not enough time in between games is not true. There are 2 developers working on a COD every 2 years, that is ample time for a game. Ubi soft is milking AC but I don't see people complain, what about sports games? they have the same development team working each year but there is no hating. Bottom line is, people jump on the bandwagon as was mentioned a few post up. It's like one sheep jumps of a cliff and the rest follow. It's because it's popular and no online shooter comes close to how fun the multiplayer is. Battlefield is good but not as much fun IMO.

So my conclusion, people gonna hate because their aunt who is an uncle hates it.
    Last edited by berts08; 01-20-2013 at 14:00.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

24. Likes Omar, EHY893 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    so have far can they go with this series, do they wait until the U.S invades another country before a new game comes out. Oh right they are currently in 5 wars right now and therefore 5 new C.O.D games will come out and plus D.L.C's

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    All this bull$#@! about not enough time in between games is not true. There are 2 developers working on a COD every 2 years, that is ample time for a game. Ubi soft is milking AC but I don't see people complain, what about sports games? they have the same development team working each year but there is no hating. Bottom line is, people jump on the bandwagon as was mentioned a few post up. It's like one sheep jumps of a cliff and the rest follow. It's because it's popular and no online shooter comes close to how fun the multiplayer is. Battlefield is good but not as much fun IMO.

So in conclusion, people gonna hate because their anti who is an uncle hates it.
    Nailed it.

BBK. Tapatalking

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Not that i "hate" CoD games, but i just got tired of them. I liked the WWII settings, maybe because im so interested in WWII. Modern Warfare was good, but i kinda got pissed off that it was over so quick, and i never play multiplayer games anyway unless it was an MMO, in which case Dark Age of Camelot was my bread and butter.

For me i might play them again if they spend some time on the single player campaign, which i feel was just slapped onto the multiplayer for the last few games. I still havent played MW3 or Black Ops 2, and really have no interest in doing so unless i borrow them from a buddy. Even then ill probably just play through the single player campaign once or twice. Thats my biggest issue, i dont think enough time is spent on the story campaign.

Tacos Rule!

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    It's essentially the same copy/paste game every year that's why.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Thread Information