Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

56 year olds woman smuggles 2.5 million worth of Cocaine.

http://news.yahoo.com/indonesia-sent...062215742.html

BALI, Indonesia (AP) An Indonesian court sentenced a British grandmother to death on Tuesday for smuggling cocaine worth $2.5 million in her suitcase onto the resort island of Bali even though prosecutors had sought only a 15-year sentence.

Lindsay June Sandiford, 56, wept when judges handed down the sentence and declined to speak to reporters on her way back to prison, covering her face with a floral scarf. She had claimed in court that she was forced to take the drugs into the country by a gang that was threatening to hurt her children.

Indonesia, like many Asian countries, is very strict on drug crimes, and most of the more than 40 foreigners on its death row were convicted of drug charges.

Sandiford's lawyer said she would appeal, a process that can take several years. Condemned criminals face a firing squad in Indonesia, which has not carried out an execution since 2008, when 10 people were put to death.

A verdict is expected in the trial of Sandiford's alleged accomplice, Briton Julian Anthony Pounder, next Tuesday. He is accused of receiving the drugs in Bali, which has a busy bar and nightclub scene where party drugs such as cocaine and Ecstasy are bought and sold between foreigners. Two other British citizens and an Indian have already been convicted and sentenced to prison in connection with the bust.

In London, British Foreign Office Minister Hugo Swire told lawmakers Wednesday that the government strongly opposes Sandiford's sentence.

"We strongly object to the death penalty and continue to provide consular assistance to Lindsay and her family during this difficult time," he said.

Martin Horwood, a member of Parliament representing Sandiford's Cheltenham constituency in western England, called the sentence a shock and said he would raise the case with Foreign Secretary William Hague.

"The days of the death penalty ought to be past. This is not the way that a country that now values democracy and human rights should really be behaving," Horwood told the BBC.

Harriet McCulloch of human rights charity Reprieve, which is assisting Sandiford, urged the British government to support her appeal.

"Lindsay has always maintained that she only agreed to carry the package to Bali after receiving threats against the lives of her family," McCulloch said. "She is clearly not a drug kingpin she has no money to pay for a lawyer, for the travel costs of defense witnesses or even for essentials like food and water."

In its verdict, a panel of Denpasar District Court judges concluded that Sandiford had damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination and weakened the government's drug prevention program.

"We found no reason to lighten her sentence," said Amser Simanjuntak, who headed the judicial panel.

Prosecutors had been seeking a 15-year prison sentence for Sandiford, who was arrested in May when customs officers at Bali's airport discovered 3.8 kilograms (8.4 pounds) of cocaine in the lining of her luggage.

State prosecutor Lie Putra Setiawan told reporters that the verdict was "appropriate," explaining that prosecutors had been demanding 15 years because of Sandiford's age.

Indonesia has 114 prisoners on death row, according to a March 2012 study by Australia's Lowy Institute for International Policy. Five foreigners have been executed since 1998, all for drug crimes, according to the institute.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has granted clemency to four drug offenders on death row since he took office in 2004.

The most publicized recent case internationally is that of Schapelle Corby, an Australian convicted of smuggling marijuana in 2005. Her 20-year sentence was reduced last year and she is now eligible for parole, but she remains imprisoned.

___

Associated Press writer Jill Lawless in London contributed to this report.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Why all the recent smugglers elder women? Less attention to them being payed is not really a valid reason.

Master Guru
    I wish i had all that cocaine. I would go to Miami and sell some to those Cubans.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I wish i had all that cocaine. I would go to Miami and sell some to those Cubans.
    If to Miami, I would certainly join you.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well she is old and her fanny, does look like a hollowed out tunnel
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    If to Miami, I would certainly join you.
    I'm only a couple hours away. We can do this, man,

7. Likes Cybertox likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    Death because of drugs $#@! man what would happen to her if she killed sum one
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    No doubt she isnt the mastermind behind it and that what she says is true.
    It often happens a gang aproaches vulnerable people under the guise of a nice person maybe a woman or a couple and befriend the mug/mark and offer to pay for theirr tickets and accomodation basically everything but they keep the passport and driving license so they know exactly where they live.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-23-2013 at 01:51.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Damn..that grandma was hardcore.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Well with her sacrifice she'll teach her grandkids even from beyond not to mess with drugs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Death penalty over drugs seems a bit insane, curious how they handle murderers, pedophiles, and rapists now though

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    A death sentence is pretty damn harsh for that, but honestly smuggling that much drugs should not go lightly punished. I don't care if she's a 56-year-old grandma, what she did was a really harsh crime. Hopefully she's telling the truth about her being forced to smuggle the drugs and the police will look into it, but she also could be just lying so people would sympathize and go easy on her in the courtroom.

Learn to do signatures here

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    well she is old and her fanny, does look like a hollowed out tunnel
    You disgust me.

This is a 56-year old grandma sentenced to death for Christ's sake! You seem to have no feelings whatsoever.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Hopefully she's telling the truth about her being forced to smuggle the drugs and the police will look into it
    Nah shes been sentenced already the police aint looking for $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    You disgust me.

This is a 56-year old grandma sentenced to death for Christ's sake! You seem to have no feelings whatsoever.
    I'd be more concerned if it was a 20 something girl, but this lady's 56 and she should have known better

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Nah shes been sentenced already the police aint looking for $#@!.

I'd be more concerned if it was a 20 something girl, but this lady's 56 and she should have known better

Yeah, there's something uneasy about seeing a old person die from anything other than old age. Young people die from all kinds of things. (I know old people do to.)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    well for her, she made the wrong choice in life

And she will not be the last, Male or Female off any age above 11 years old
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Deathmask Divine
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    just chuck her in jail, no need for sentencing her to death

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    You disgust me.

How many people would she have killed with the drugs if she got away with it?

Sorry, I have no sympathy here. First, she knew she was smuggling drugs in a country that has the death penalty for it. Second, the drugs she was smuggling DO kill people.

And most important, I know a LOT more about this story than what is posted here.

She's quite involved in this stuff, and has been for a LONG time. Years it seems.

http://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    How are you going to sell some to the cubans when they are that serve it push it the most for the Colombians?

Learn your damn DRUG game son. LMAO

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information