Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    I am hoping BC never even crossed their mind. My PS3 will still work just fine once I get my PS4. It's a waste of R&D.

Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    If you had the choice between a $500 PS4 with B/C or a $400 PS4 with no B/C, which one would you buy?
    I don't think Sony will do that, it was a bad decision this gen and they got backlash for it
    It'll BC or not at all, I'm hoping they go with full BC

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Either way, I made a picture of what we will all hopefully be like one it is released:

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    Here's the link for those who want to read about PS4's account using & new controller.
    http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-playst...e-specs-so-far

Ancient
    " the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button"

That is interesting
    Sent via Codec

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I like the controller idea a lot. Pretty cool if this turns out to be true.
    Yep me too. So keen for announcement

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Did you read the article? It is not permanently linked to it, just when you press the button the turn it on, it asks which account you want to login with. Just the fact of being able to have 4 players, all using their own accounts while playing multiplayer in a game is awesome!
    Errr, yeah it is,and 360 owner has been doing it for sometime.

I didn't even realize you couldn't do this on the PS3.

As for the rest of the article, as plausible as any of the rumours we have heard.
    Last edited by mynd; 01-24-2013 at 00:19.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Errr, yeah it is,and 360 owner has been doing it for sometime.

I didn't even realize you couldn't do this on the PS3.

As for the rest of the article, as plausible as any of the rumours we have heard.
    I am just wondering how it is going to differ from the way Microsoft does it with the Xbox, I have never played multiplayer on a Xbox so I don't know how it works with that system.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I am just wondering how it is going to differ from the way Microsoft does it with the Xbox, I have never played multiplayer on a Xbox so I don't know how it works with that system.
    You either just be a "guest", with a controller, or you can simply press the silver button and log into a local or xbox live account. Most spit screen games require you to log in as someone else eg bordelands.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    You either just be a "guest", with a controller, or you can simply press the silver button and log into a local or xbox live account. Most spit screen games require you to log in as someone else eg bordelands.
    Can you play with two separate accounts with online multiplayer on one system as well?

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yes you can if the 2nd+ Xbox profile has a gold account

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    welcome to the head**** that is 'trying to sort out profiles' when a control pad is out of battery... or when you try and switch pads....
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Can you play with two separate accounts with online multiplayer on one system as well?
    Yes.
    I play halo 4 online with my son split screen, he is on his live account, I'm on mine . Online no one can tell we are on the same xbox.

14. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    mehh. **** these damn rumors

16. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Veteran
    Full BC only makes good business sense. Win/Win for the company and consumer.

Me personally - I have a huge backlog that I have to plow through and some games that I want but haven't bought yet. It would be convenient for me to be able to use one system.

Consumer at large - There are more people that don't have a PS3 than the ones that do. Being able to play the older games on the PS4 would be another incentive to purchase one.

Sony - No company would want to close off any possible revenue stream. BC on PS4 would ensure continued PS3 purchases be it on PSN or retail sales. Especially in the early days of the PS4 when games are few and far in between after that initial launch period.

So unless Sony can't do it, I pretty sure there will be a cell included for BC on the PS4.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 01-24-2013 at 02:23.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    its only win/win because you want it to be though.

i'm a consumer, and i don't consider it a win because i'd rather keep my ps3 and have them put the resources towards the *actual* ps4, and not some virtual ps3 because i'm too lazy to plug in my old console.

for me its convenient at best, and a complete waste of resources at worst.

just my opinion though

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yes.
    I play halo 4 online with my son split screen, he is on his live account, I'm on mine . Online no one can tell we are on the same xbox.
    Now that IS cool, I hope the PS4/Orbis has this as well! Why on earth did Sony not do this for the PS3?!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    its only win/win because you want it to be though.

i'm a consumer, and i don't consider it a win because i'd rather keep my ps3 and have them put the resources towards the *actual* ps4, and not some virtual ps3 because i'm too lazy to plug in my old console.

for me its convenient at best, and a complete waste of resources at worst.

just my opinion though
    Not because I want it to, but because it is. That is a fact.

I already gave my personal reason for it. Just because they place the cell in doesn't mean they will take away from the PS4.

That budget is set because of market competition. Sony has to make the product at a certain level to compete. They will not far surpass the competition because of cost, complexity, etc even though they could. That wouldn't be a good business decision.

In the case of BC, it will serve to make Sony money, ergo a win situation. They are already still manufacturing cells because of PS3 so there is little sunk cost in placing it in for the PS4. All they need is motherboard acceptance.

As for you, you would rather them take away a positive addition even though it won't affect the final PS4 product?

I find that hard to believe.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 01-24-2013 at 04:04.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Not because I want it to, but because it is. That is a fact.

I already gave my personal reason for it. Just because they place the cell in doesn't mean they will take away from the PS4.

That budget is set because of market competition. Sony has to make the product at a certain level to compete. They will not far surpass the competition because of cost, complexity, etc even though they could. That wouldn't be a good business decision.

In the case of BC, it will serve to make Sony money, ergo a win situation. They are already still manufacturing cells because of PS3 so there is little sunk cost in placing it in for the PS4. All they need is motherboard acceptance.

As for you, you would rather them take away a positive addition even though it won't affect the final PS4 product?

I find that hard to believe.
    if it was fact though you wouldn't have to give a personal reason for it.

it isn't, because it isn't the broad win for consumers that you put it forward to be. its a win for you, and others that want BC, and a loss for people that would rather the *money* spent on BC was spent elsewhere. your talk of budget and market competition doesn't change the fact that BC will cost Sony and that money could be spent elsewhere. you are talking about if it will or not. that is completely different.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 01-24-2013 at 10:21.

Ultimate Veteran
    Now that IS cool, I hope the PS4/Orbis has this as well! Why on earth did Sony not do this for the PS3?!
    You can only do so much with 256MB of RAM, unfortunately. MS incorporated a lot of features of their online gaming structure by designating how much memory and resources the 360 would use in such a manner. Their trade-off to the developers is that they made "snapping in" Live functionality incredibly simple with their development environment.

Sony went into this generation giving very little resources to the developer in retrospect. They don't appear to be doing the same with PS4. As a result, functions like multiple online accounts and cross-game chat will in all likelihood be present and accounted for.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    if it was fact though you wouldn't have to give a personal reason for it.

it isn't, because it isn't the broad win for consumers that you put it forward to be. its a win for you, and others that want BC, and a loss for people that would rather the *money* spent on BC was spent elsewhere. your talk of budget and market competition doesn't change the fact that BC will cost Sony and that money could be spent elsewhere. you are talking about if it will or not. that is completely different.
    I don't see it costing anything
    Cell is still no wimp in crunching numbers so it will benefit the PS4
    By default (from rumored specs) the PS4 has the balls to out perform the 720, Cell being there for BC and addition power would not bottle neck anything
    You can get better results by default, but if you choose you can use Cell for overkill, I'd imagine 1st party will have no problem with that
    Plus the Cell is still in production for the PS3, so its not like extra resources are needed
    And by time PS3 does go out of production Cell would be the cheapest thing in the box (kinda)

A PS4 with a 8 core + 1 PPC core & 7 spe's
    Sounds interesting
    Sent via Codec

Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 01-24-2013 at 16:03.

24. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I don't see it costing anything
    Cell is still no wimp in crunching numbers so it will benefit the PS4
    By default (from rumored specs) the PS4 has the balls to out perform the 720, Cell being there for BC and addition power would not bottle neck anything
    You can get better results by default, but if you choose you can use Cell for overkill, I'd imagine 1st party will have no problem with that
    Plus the Cell is still in production for the PS3, so its not like extra resources are needed
    And by time PS3 does go out of production Cell would be the cheapest thing in the box (kinda)

Sent via Codec

Sent via Codec
    Exactly. Cell isn't taking away the power or resources from the ps4 in any way. Quite the opposite in fact. You can use cell for OS and security like a rumour suggested, otherwise you would have had to dedicate some cores for that, and in turn this would have meant games would only use part of the CPU power provided.

Cell will now cost $30-$40 and its benefits FAR outweigh the price
    Last edited by Itachi; 01-24-2013 at 16:07.

Ancient
    It also reaks of Sony, people already think the PS4 seems too straight forward for a PlayStation console
    Yes its powerful but its not exotic enough, theres nothing odd
    Except that compute unit, which could be a additional processor or Cell
    And it gives PS4 full access for its specs in games, Sony patented something which allowed switching of CPU/GPU's didn't they?

Sent via Codec

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    It also reaks of Sony, people already think the PS4 seems too straight forward for a PlayStation console
    Yes its powerful but its not exotic enough, theres nothing odd
    Except that compute unit, which could be a additional processor or Cell
    And it gives PS4 full access for its specs in games, Sony patented something which allowed switching of CPU/GPU's didn't they?

Sent via Codec
    I think it was to allow switching between different architecture GPUs. This led to some credibility to the APU + GPU reports but now I don't really know

Super Elite
    sony better spend the extra money on BC or they shoot themselves in the foot.

When the ps4 comes out there would be a huge library of games alienated to users.

It would be another classic dumbass sony move, and a damn big one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information