PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

[PSU EDITORIAL] The demise of THQ: where each franchise is going, and what it means

The day has come. THQ is effectively no more, and the majority of the once-profitable publisher's franchises, studios, and rights have been sold at auction to some big names. Ubisoft. Deep Silver. Crytek.

I want to open this thread up for discussion, based in part on my feature (linked below), but also directed at the fallout and implications of the sale as a whole. What are you excited for? What bums you out? Here's the place to talk about it.

And, I would love, love, LOVE anybody who might read my feature and offer feedback. What we do at PSU is for you, our amazing community, and there's no better place anywhere on the Internet.

http://www.psu.com/a018086/The-demis...-what-it-means

Today's auction of various THQ intellectual property rights has ended, and news is pouring in of franchises and future games that will be henceforth published by other industry giants. Until just recently, the identities of the IPs and studios for sale was unknown (though we speculated that Saints Row, Darksiders, and MX vs. ATV would change hands). Now, we have a clear picture of where our favorite franchises will be going, and how much each company paid to acquire them.

The next few years will be very interesting indeed, as a whole host of sequels and titles-in-progress will now be published under different corporate umbrellas. Let's take a look at each successful bid, and examine what each sale means for the industry moving forward.

2. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I'm most interested in what will happen with the WWE franchise, that supposedly ended up with Take-Two, but I think Crytek obtaining Homefront will be really interesting. Homefront was a really weak, generic FPS that will probably see the Crytek touch. Curious to see what they will really do with it.

I'm just glad South Park will see the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully there will be no issue with release.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    All I care about from them is Darksiders.

It would be awesome if Sony acquired that, but I know its not going to be the case.

Veteran
    My favorites are Darksiders and Saints Row. I'm not sure if Deep Silver can keep the quality of Darksiders. Dead Island had many problems and still does.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Its really sad. THQ has created some great games and now these bastards are taking them so easily. Yeah, I would agree if Sony buy Darksides but Sony won't do that.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Atsushi Inaba from Platinum games posted this on tweeter

"Oh man in THQ's big sale it looks like nobody's bought Darksiders ... I'd love to buy that (if it was cheap)."

Hope they can make it happen along with buying Vigil studios

Any word on the MX V's ATV games ? I enjoyed them alot back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I'm most interested in what will happen with the WWE franchise, that supposedly ended up with Take-Two, but I think Crytek obtaining Homefront will be really interesting. Homefront was a really weak, generic FPS that will probably see the Crytek touch. Curious to see what they will really do with it.

I'm just glad South Park will see the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully there will be no issue with release.
    Crytek has been working on the Homefront sequel for nearly a year, they got it at a great price and had done most of the work so I have huge expectations for this and the Metro series.

Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    I think the Ubisoft move is really solid. Also, hope someone grabs Darksiders, just don't think it will be Sony.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    All of those acquirable franchises have great potentials.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They had stupid retail exclusives for alot of their games for PC meaning that a game requiring Steam could not be bought on steam until a certain amount of time passed.
    1 such game I do know this happened to was Homefront.
    Only affected the UK.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-24-2013 at 16:17.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    My favorites are Darksiders and Saints Row. I'm not sure if Deep Silver can keep the quality of Darksiders. Dead Island had many problems and still does.
    Unfortunately, the status of Darksiders is still totally unknown - Vigil Games has dissolved, but THQ's corporate name presumably still exists and as such they still own the Darksiders name. It just seems that nobody felt like purchasing it.

Like AmigaEngine said, hopefully we'll hear good things before too long from PlatinumGames or another potential buyer.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm hoping something will happen with darksiders. I love the franchise. I like the Ubisoft move as well. I think they will do right by the thq franchises they acquired.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by AmigaEngine View Post
    Crytek has been working on the Homefront sequel for nearly a year, they got it at a great price and had done most of the work so I have huge expectations for this and the Metro series.
    Oh, I had no idea. That's awesome then!

Power Member
    Don't care. Relic just keep making Dawn of War games.

Thread Information