Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Member

Why did PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale BOMBED? LAYOFFS announced

https://twitter.com/flarkminator/sta...88243718156288

The developer behind the game is announcing layoffs. no , it's not funny when people lose their jobs so i hope those affected will latch on with another company soon.

Yeah, that brings up the question of the thread. I thought PS all stars did ok but i didn't know it BOMBED in sales to where the developer had to layoff its staff.

i wasn't interested in the game because it didn't have an all star roster. character roster was unappealing. perhaps this was the reason.
    Last edited by jubeininja69; 01-25-2013 at 23:58.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Well, i wouldn't know because I can't play the game. This is, However, sad to hear.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Obviously it just didnt appeal to the majority of PS3 gamers. It wasn't lack of marketing because I saw a commercial for it that was ran fairly often. I just think the majority of the PS3 userbase is not the same ride or die with Sony PS1 and PS2 audience. That audience would have been more likely to appreciate that game and I think thats who that game was really made for. But obviously if that target audience is in the vast minority then your game will most likely not sell.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-25-2013 at 23:18.

4. Likes PS4freak , jubeininja69 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Back when this was still in Beta people were giving it meh ratings.

Its sad and I feel the employees and their families that were effected by these layoffs.

The game just didn't appeal to the masses as they thought it would I've consistency been on the fence about it the commercial was great (to me but that's honestly a bias opinion)

Too many people saw it as a ssb rip off and from what I've read and videos I've seen it wasn't as polished as a ssb game.

Simply put it didn't live up to the hype and now people are losing their jobs really sucks for everyone involved

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran

They just failed, when they tried to hard

Veteran
    Was it really that bad? I mean there have been plenty of games of which bombed much harder than All Stars.. and they didn't lay people off for it (from what I know of)

I only played the game for about 10 minutes tops so I can't really make an opinion on it, but I have a hard time seeing it was THAT bad.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    They just failed, when they tried to hard
    Tried so hard when the idea was so easy to fathom lol.

This game would've been successful if they put some good thought into it. It's obviously something similar to SSB. Unfortunately, it is sad to hear about the layoffs.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I don't think the game is BAD but most definitely didn't live up to the hype that was created

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Superior Member
    No promotion its that simple. I never seen a commercial for the game here in the US. Also the concept was always cheesy to me which is why I never liked Smash Bros, so naturally I personally was not interested in the game. Plus the game could never get out of Smash Bros shadow (even though the game play was better IMO) and people never gave it a chance.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Back when this was still in Beta people were giving it meh ratings.

Its sad and I feel the employees and their families that were effected by these layoffs.

The game just didn't appeal to the masses as they thought it would I've consistency been on the fence about it the commercial was great (to me but that's honestly a bias opinion)

Too many people saw it as a ssb rip off and from what I've read and videos I've seen it wasn't as polished as a ssb game.

Simply put it didn't live up to the hype and now people are losing their jobs really sucks for everyone involved
    I agree with every thing you said except it not being as polished as SSB. The game was actually much better designed than SSB, had a better engine and better controls. I personally never thought SSB was a great game and was just a button mashing successful because Mario is in it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Being a shadow is not that bad, there always been products like this and there will always be. They just over-prized the game just like they did with vita. I am sure they knock their heads to the wall, this game will sell lots more if they cut the prize in half.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I didn't have much interest in the game, plus it didn't have characters that I really wanted, Sony shouldve approached more third party devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Played the BETA, hated the hectic gameplay.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Lack of iconic characters (Cloud, Crash, Sephiroth), No commercials, however, the commercial that is had was awesome, and on top of being a not known company has cause this game to flounder. Killin' games in typical Sony fashion if you ask me.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Honestly, it's a pretty good game that I think the majority didn't give much of a chance. Lots of people played it for like 20 mins and immediately called it a Smash ripoff. The game engine is really well done and the fan service that they did for the combos of all the different characters is pretty awesome. When the Big Daddy or Dante are doing moves that they do in their games, it's pretty cool.

The problem is Sony didn't support it enough, and trusted word of mouth. Lots of people simply hate it for trying to do something like Smash, and it was made by a no name developer. Sony could've helped get some more iconic characters (albeit at a price) in the game, but a small roster, not many stages, and a shallow single player experience did hamper it.

Like many PS3 exclusives, lots of people passed because they simply don't know anything about this game.

17. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Fighting system will forever make or break a fighter (which PSAS is at its core). But when you put that aside, all you have left is how attractive your game is to bring people to buy it anyway, and in this case, the roster becomes the selling point. Therefore, lack of key characters was the other biggest major step backwards.

All of the more recent PS icons seem to be in the launch roster, but let's not forget that all of the biggest classic PlayStation icons are missing entirely, nor are they on the horizon yet. And they have a bigger fanbase (the average gamer is older now). I personally consider this group to include Crash, Spyro, Cloud/Sephiroth, Snake (Big Boss or Solid), and Lara Croft. These characters should have been starters due to their popularity alone (Nintendo went this route with SSB's roster, after all). Trust me, if these characters were in the game, PSAS would have made more money. It's silly to say, but it's true. It's like those movies that make decent money at box office in spite of being poorly done just because they picked the right actors or directors or studio that make consumers flock to the product.

Other veterans like Sly or Ratchet & Clank fit the roster, but they have never been as beloved as the aforementioned classics that are missing. Character roster is a big selling point to a game like this and PSAS lost an opportunity in the most crucial part of the roster.

Let's also not forget that acquiring classics seemed to be 10 times harder for Superbot to do since most of the biggest classics are in third-party hands and likely haven't struck any recent terms with Sony, so you can't put the blame entirely on Superbot.

Lack of marketing was also a step backwards, sure, but shouldn't that be a moot point by now? I love nearly all of the char choices in the game, but lack of the more exciting ones that would've gotten the game on more people's radars hurt the game more than lack of marketing did, in my opinion. If Sony has managed to get by this well and this long with thinner marketing, why would they somehow mess up with PSAS if characters weren't such a big issue?

Thankfully, fighters are slow burners. When their multifaceted gameplay has had time to be digested and metagames evolve, the community of the fighter will grow if the fighting system turns out to be successful. You can't really indicate whether or not a new fighter is "good" until it's out for awhile. PSAS still has plenty of legs on it. They should have been longer, sexier legs, though.
    Last edited by Bio; 01-26-2013 at 04:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Supreme Veteran

It's just like putting cheese on your mom's ASS and assuming the police would think this is right and cheerful

I would consider this

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    No promotion its that simple. I never seen a commercial for the game here in the US.
    lol Seriously? I saw the commercial for it a bunch of times so it was definitely promoted. And Devious said he has also seen the commercial for it and we are both in the US.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-26-2013 at 05:51.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sometimes good games just don't sell well. Gaming history is littered with titles that by merit should have had success but didn't. PSABR is a good game, it's unfortunate it didn't meet success.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sometimes good games just don't sell well. Gaming history is littered with titles that by merit should have had success but didn't.
    Thats true as well. Motorstorm Apocolypse and Forza Horizon for example are both awesome games IMO despite the fact that they didnt sell very well. I thought they both deserved to do better.But thats just the way that it is sometimes.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-26-2013 at 06:15.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Thats true as well. Motorstorm Apocolypse and Forza Horizon for example are both awesome games IMO despite the fact that they didnt sell very well. I thought they both deserved to do better.But thats just the way that it is sometimes.
    Sadly. Alan Wake and Resistance 3 are other such games. It's hard for the devs, even a well made game isn't guaranteed to sell, you have to have a good game, it has to have mechanics that appease the tastes of todays mainstream gamer too it would seem. PSABR should have had health regen, kill streaks and should have been an FPS lol.

PlayStation All-Stars Modern Warfare

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Obviously it just didnt appeal to the majority of PS3 gamers. It wasn't lack of marketing because I saw a commercial for it that was ran fairly often. I just think the majority of the PS3 userbase is not the same ride or die with Sony PS1 and PS2 audience. That audience would have been more likely to appreciate that game and I think thats who that game was really made for. But obviously if that target audience is in the vast minority then your game will most likely not sell.
    I agree with this. The game just seems to appeal with hardcore fans of the Sony brand and to be honest i just don't think that base is quite there for this noble attempt. At least with something like Super Smash bros, there is lots of nostalgia there. Sony just doesn't quite have that same factor that Nintendo has. Although i commend them at their attempt. Exclusives are one thing but exclusives aimed at a specific audience is a whole 'nother ball game.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    It's just like Bio said, the roster. The game is as strong as its weakest link. That being the roster. We only see a couple of classic characters on the roster such as Papaa the Rapper and MediEval. Most are next-gen. They even have Big Daddy from Bioshock of all people! Bioshock was first an xbox exclusive, so that's kind of insulting to see an exclusive, turned multiplat character on this roster, when he has NOTHING to do with the playstation brand or history.

He's not an "all-star" at all. He's just popular to use because he feels overpowered. If they just included Solid Snake, Spyro, Crash and even Jersey Devil, they would have made a killing in sales. I would have bought the game for Snake alone, seriously. But no, we get ****in' Raiden. Really?! Claptrap would have been great too. But I guess they probably want to include Snake as a DLC. It's nice business selling scheme. But seriously, what logic process did this team have when they forgot to add Snake, one of the most popular and titular playstation characters for two generations!!!

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Wrong market, wrong selection of characters. Millions of copies sold for Smash Bros. does not NECESSARILY mean that a PlayStation-themed brawler will find the same audience in PS3 owners. We're all gamers, but the collective identity of Nintendo fans and PlayStation fans is just plain different.

PSASBR is an excellent game. I was fortunate enough to review the game for PSU. I gave it a 9.0, and I stand by that score one-hundred percent. The mechanical and strategic depth is just astounding, but more importantly, it's TONS of fun.

If this game had Crash? Cloud? Lara Croft? - this would be a whole different story. They had every opportunity for this game to sell like hotcakes, and totally failed to make it happen.

27. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Wrong market, wrong selection of characters. Millions of copies sold for Smash Bros. does not NECESSARILY mean that a PlayStation-themed brawler will find the same audience in PS3 owners. We're all gamers, but the collective identity of Nintendo fans and PlayStation fans is just plain different.

PSASBR is an excellent game. I was fortunate enough to review the game for PSU. I gave it a 9.0, and I stand by that score one-hundred percent. The mechanical and strategic depth is just astounding, but more importantly, it's TONS of fun.

If this game had Crash? Cloud? Lara Croft? - this would be a whole different story. They had every opportunity for this game to sell like hotcakes, and totally failed to make it happen.
    I agree. Where the hell was Chris/Jill, Lara, SNAKE FOR **** SAKES!? Raiden and no Snake? Talk about trolololo haha.

Thread Information