Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

AMD v Intel - gaming

AMD v Intel basically.

It seems pretty close between them both trade wins and losses.

This is a follow up from another video they did with a 6870 peopel complained about all sorts of things so they followed up as they requested.
    previous video

Last edited by keefy; 01-26-2013 at 03:36.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Not a fanboy, but I choose my side accordingly
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    Think I will change title.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Didn't watch the Video but I am more than Happy with my AMD 1100T BE CPU there hasn't ever been a situation where it has struggled with anything PC wise plus I like to think that having 6 Cores instead of a Quad Core gives me a little bit of Future proofing even though everybody says Intels CPU are better chips If I was to upgrade any time soon I would most likely go for the fastest 8 core Bulldozer CPU which I think is the FX 8350 @ 4.0/4.2 Ghz plus it would mean I wouldn't have to change Mobo as it is a AM3 Socket same as my Thuban chip

Supreme Veteran
    FX CPU the board idealy has to be AM3+ yur board may need a BIOS update it itis only AM3.

You should really watch the video(s) thats the whole point of the thread.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-26-2013 at 15:56.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    FX CPU the board idealy has to be AM3+ yur board may need a BIOS update it itis only AM3.

You should really watch the video(s) thats the whole point of the thread.
    I did watch it & my GIGABYTE 990XA UD3 Board is an AM3+ Board so im good there

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I was AMD for years my first build was a AMD 2500+ Barton XP rig and I kept with them for years moving to AMD 4000+ 64 THEN TO AMD 64 X2 3500 then finally to the AMD X4 945 every system I built did what I needed it to do I was happy with it but last year I had the money and I bought my rig below. I built my AMD systems because parts where decently priced and thats why AMD are a good choice for price and performance if you know what you want, but I decided to go INTEL since I had the cash and man I havent been dissapointed. It does give that performance and them sum but I do know I have had to pay for it I'll still build AMD rigs for myself in the future I wont fully turn my back on AMD because price and decent performance are very good plus the backwards compa with old CPU's a plus for AMD over INTEL.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    So far I had good experience with intel. Cant say much about AMD though.

Supreme Veteran
    I was going to buy Intel next tme but seeing these vids made me think is it necessary? I can easy just slot in a new CPU in my current board for 150 and have similar performance of the Intels in games for abotu half the price of buying an i5, mother board and RAM which dependign onthe game may give me a 10% boost in frame rates.
    No brainer for those on phenom 2 CPU's I think.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-26-2013 at 21:09.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    Didn't watch the Video but I am more than Happy with my AMD 1100T BE CPU there hasn't ever been a situation where it has struggled with anything PC wise plus I like to think that having 6 Cores instead of a Quad Core gives me a little bit of Future proofing even though everybody says Intels CPU are better chips If I was to upgrade any time soon I would most likely go for the fastest 8 core Bulldozer CPU which I think is the FX 8350 @ 4.0/4.2 Ghz plus it would mean I wouldn't have to change Mobo as it is a AM3 Socket same as my Thuban chip
    this is why i asked about i7 or 8350 in the 'your computer' section.

i got a core 2 quad when the core 2 duo's were all the rage because i thought that it offered the best future proofing. as it turned out, it did. it runs most new games fine.

however, is the same thing true now?

the 8350 apparently gets humbled by the i7 in everything but multithreading. is multithreaded applications the way the industry is going?

i've always preferred Intel, but i am always intrigued by AMD. the one thing that gets me is the lower heat ceiling of AMD chips. they're like 20C-40C lower than the intel chips if im not mistaken?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Do you use alot of multithreaded apps? Is what yu should ask yourself. Sure tapps will becom more and more multithreaded in the future but by then there will be better processors will have been released makign your current seelction based on future proofing moot.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I usually go with a Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU but if i find something i like better on the other side its pretty easy to switch it up.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Could I be the elephant in the room and say, I suck when it comes to actually chosen the perfect setup
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Elite
    Man..I still remember back in the days with the single core AMD. After Intel came out with their core duo, been sticking with them ever since.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by rycexboi View Post
    Man..I still remember back in the days with the single core AMD. After Intel came out with their core duo, been sticking with them ever since.
    i remember running Rome:TW on a P4

i've never owned an AMD processor, but would love to remedy that if possible
    the 8350 intrigues me to no end!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rycexboi View Post
    I originally had a P4 2.6 then the dual cores started to appear so I bought the AMD 4800 X2 (and it doubled my FPS from 70ish to 150ish) because it destroyed the Pentium dual cores but like you say then Intel released the core 2 duo which destroyed the AMD dual cores if I only waited another 6 months or so, but if we all waited we would never buy anything because CPU tech moves so fast.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-30-2013 at 19:41.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    I'm running a AMD 970 BE OC'd around 4.2Ghz. No complaints, although, I would like to upgrade my system to Intel. I'll wait a few years, though.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I had my Barton 2500+ XP OCed to a 3200+ was so easy I saved about 70 at the time as the 3200+ were about 156 I even remember the first gcard I bought for it a Geforce 9600GT 128MB AGP8X

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Power Member
    Intel craps all over AMD in terms of actual performance with their CPU's per core and IPC. There's just no two ways about it, AMD has been behind for a long while now.

So AMD has tried their best to market their CPU's in a different light. Cutting costs, adding extra cores, and generally being more focused on power efficiency and low heat generation.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Intel craps all over AMD in terms of actual performance with their CPU's per core and IPC. There's just no two ways about it, AMD has been behind for a long while now.

So AMD has tried their best to market their CPU's in a different light. Cutting costs, adding extra cores, and generally being more focused on power efficiency and low heat generation.
    You're forgetting "all the while pretty much failing the whole time". Power efficiency and low heat generation are good things, but when compared considering performance at the same time AMD is woefully short. Unfortunately IMO, I really want to see Intel and AMD trading blows for the top spots.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    You're forgetting "all the while pretty much failing the whole time". Power efficiency and low heat generation are good things, but when compared considering performance at the same time AMD is woefully short. Unfortunately IMO, I really want to see Intel and AMD trading blows for the top spots.

if i recall, this is AMD's plan for their FX line.

with piledriver getting the boost to IPC its kinda hard to see them catching Intel any time soon. that being said, i still remain optimistic
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I think Inter is more popular than AMD. I don't no why but I think that it is. When I for the first time built my PC. I bought Intel stuff and maybe that due to Intel advertisement and etc. Because every where I went I saw Intel logo and specailly about the CPU.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Super Elite
    Yeah, AMD was the choice for PC gamers back in the days, but now..its all about Intel

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post

if i recall, this is AMD's plan for their FX line.

with piledriver getting the boost to IPC its kinda hard to see them catching Intel any time soon. that being said, i still remain optimistic
    As will I buddy, as will I. I'd love to return the AMD side of things...but it's just not reasonable right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    I think Inter is more popular than AMD. I don't no why but I think that it is. When I for the first time built my PC. I bought Intel stuff and maybe that due to Intel advertisement and etc. Because every where I went I saw Intel logo and specailly about the CPU.
    Eh...Intel has a much better advertising setup. Enthusiasts however will go to whoever is putting out the best, and right now that's intel (and has been for quite a few years)

Thread Information