Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

Sony gives you $20 for convincing a friend to buy PS Vita - Desperate, or Smart?

News just came in that Sony has started a new referral program for PS Vita owners. If you convince a friend, family member, what have you to buy a Vita, Sony will reward you with 20 dollars for PS Store shopping and 1,000 Sony Rewards points.

Not only that, but the person with the most referrals by Feb 28 will win 1,000,000 Sony Rewards points... equivalent to $10,000.

Here's the PSU news article with full details and links:

http://www.psu.com/a018111/Refer-a-f...ferral-program

So, is this a pathetic act of desperation to kickstart Vita sales, or a smart move to increase consumer confidence and boost word-of-mouth?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like desperation to me. Sony is trying to jump start some poor Vita sales but this isnt going to do much good. Sony needs to knock the Vita price down a bit and stop gouging their customers with their ridiculous price for memory. Once they have done that then get some more first party software out there. Preferably some Vita exclusives.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-26-2013 at 05:58.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony need to do a relaunch of Vita. Unleash a price drop and a $#@!load of games and soon, or watch as it continues to die.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Reeks of desperation. It's just a really expensive paperweight at this point. Very few games on it worth playing. Good luck trying to convince someone of buying one with that ridiculous price tag.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Reeks of desperation. It's just a really expensive paperweight at this point. Very few games on it worth playing. Good luck trying to convince someone of buying one with that ridiculous price tag.
    Although I can point to 6-8 PS Vita games that I consider to be absolute must-haves, I think you do touch on a problem of quantity with Vita's lineup. One thing Sony is doing very well with Vita is offering quintessential PlayStation experiences - everything from quirky downloadable titles like Mutant Blobs and Guacamelee to exclusives like PS All-Stars and Sound Shapes - but they don't have the third-party support or excitement that PSP benefited from.

In its twilight hours, the PSP has amassed a staggering catalogue of excellent third-party games - platformers, RPGs, etc. We can only hope that Vita can do the same.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I feel like I have wasted £250.00 - £300.00 on this vita. Give me $#@!ing games that I like, like rpgs, plat formers (don't like sly) give me ratchet and clank and not that $#@!ty tower defense game. I would also like Jak and Daxter. Sony you have to E3 to convince me to hold onto my Vita.

This does smell of desperation

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I have told 4 of my friends. Hopefully they will buy it.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    This is the only step they are taking after all these time? They only tell me to sell my vita. This is how I see things.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    I have told 4 of my friends. Hopefully they will buy it.
    Gotta feeling they won't be your Friends anymore once they buy a VITA :P j/k

I still haven't bought one

Elite Guru
    I can't call $20 'desperation' as it's not a huge amount of money. On the other hand, I can't see it doing much good in terms of sales. Seems to me it's more like a cheap (read: cost) marketing trick to promote the Vita (at it's current price point) rather than spend thousands/millions of dollars on marketing campaigns via TV, Web etc.

What they really should do is think about bundling 3 months of Plus with every Vita sale. Might get the fallout of some PS3 sales at the same time. Getting the hardware and having at least 2 of it's best games out the gate would be a decent proposition.

11. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    This just makes me want it to fail. I'm not really sure I'm going to buy one at all unless something drastic happens to show that it is improving.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Bring price down to that of the 3ds...for a $#@!in start. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    So give 40$ in vouchers instead of dropping the price 40$ and sell to a whole new crowd, reap the benefits in software and accessory sales.... Good call SONY, yes indeed, you did learn from PS3!!!!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Bring price down to that of the 3ds...for a $#@!in start. Lol.

^This^

Sony seem reluctant to take a risk with the VITA.

also, they should start offering white PSV as default. the black one should be offered to gamers. white one should be there to catch the eye of consumers...their current get-up ain't winning them any new customers outside gamers
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I was actually one of the ones who said the Vita will be fine despite it's sales and price but...man, Sony do know how to kill a buzz. Just drop the $#@!ing thing already.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    They really need to pick things up within the next 6 to 9 months. I don't think they are set to profit off the hardware itself til 2014/15. They need to do something before next gen consoles come.

Veteran
    Looks like I won't be getting a free $20

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    At the end of the day the average consumer cares much more about the price than the quality of games out there. I think the public has shown with both the PS3 launch and now the Vita, the current price is too high for lots of people to jump on. I would get a Vita because I know it has a few good games, but that's way too expensive for the device without mentioning blowing more cash on memory.

I won't say it's desperation, but it's a weak attempt to move units.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    At the end of the day the average consumer cares much more about the price than the quality of games out there. I think the public has shown with both the PS3 launch and now the Vita, the current price is too high for lots of people to jump on. I would get a Vita because I know it has a few good games, but that's way too expensive for the device without mentioning blowing more cash on memory.

I won't say it's desperation, but it's a weak attempt to move units.
    It is right yet not totally, for some games price is really not matter much. But I just can't see these some games on vita. There are but a few...

It is really hard to understand what sony is planing to do, They failed on move ( which I spend around $200 without the game prices), but vita is going to be much more than this. They clearly need bigger steps.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Why would Sony drop the price down to the 3DS? The Vita is twice the console.

Sony is smart for trying to get people to get the word out and convince others to buy one. Is this any different than Microsoft giving away Xbox consoles with every new computer sold? Or including 2 free games when you purchase a new console?

This is simply Sony trying to really get the PS Vita out there. I absolutely love my Vita and I play it every single night. I would suggest that everyone should buy one.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    This just makes me want it to fail. I'm not really sure I'm going to buy one at all unless something drastic happens to show that it is improving.
    How comes?

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I think most people would get one if it went down in price, don't get me wrong I think it's worth the amount it's at because it is an amazing system, it's just most people don't have the money to spend

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Why would Sony drop the price down to the 3DS? The Vita is twice the console.

Sony is smart for trying to get people to get the word out and convince others to buy one. Is this any different than Microsoft giving away Xbox consoles with every new computer sold? Or including 2 free games when you purchase a new console?

This is simply Sony trying to really get the PS Vita out there. I absolutely love my Vita and I play it every single night. I would suggest that everyone should buy one.
    Nobody cares that its `twice the console` it seems...price is king. I think its lovely but it doesn`t make me wanna own it. Thats the problem...some lovely launch games but not alot since.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude

Cool

Not worth it,

Batman would never approve this as a down payment on anything. It's a total joke
    Last edited by claud3; 01-27-2013 at 04:16.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Nobody cares that its `twice the console` it seems...price is king. I think its lovely but it doesn`t make me wanna own it. Thats the problem...some lovely launch games but not alot since.

I care. I even bought 2 PS Vitas, and feel the price is fine.

Thread Information