Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: VGleaks Orbis

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    ^ dat seizure

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    MOOORRRE f'n rumors. I'm losing it.
    lol

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Still don know how vgleaks get there info. Anyone notice that these specs of both consoles were released a week apart to today. It sounds like they making allnthis stuff up.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Guru

Insider From Gaf:

It's a new IP for definite. I don't want to say more than that because we're only a few months away and it'll be much more impressive to have a full reveal. It'd be unfair to GG, and this is going to be a really huge event for them. Plus I know very little, and it's no point putting it out there. It' be more detrimental than anything else. I can tell you it's not like Killzone.

I can spill the following comfortably though since I think this developer is a bit of a joke, and I think people are beginning to suspect this anyway. Versus XIII will have another unveiling later this year regarding development for the next generation. It won't have the "Versus XIII" part in the title. It will definitely release in 2014. You can have my account deleted if this information turns out to be inaccurate. News is fresh on this and I'm really confident about it. FF15 and FF16 are underway, both next generation projects. There's a chance FF15, in particular, may be an exclusive release. Kind of. And with that, I'm off to sleep.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Insider From Gaf:
    I'd be happy if Versus was released for the next-gen consoles. We waited this long already. Might as well wait a bit more for a next-gen version.

And if both 15 and 16 are already underway, then Ito's crew must be making 15. And I don't know who the hell is making 16.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Still don know how vgleaks get there info. Anyone notice that these specs of both consoles were released a week apart to today. It sounds like they making allnthis stuff up.
    Funny thing is that most of what they say was already being talked about in neogaf.

I think they are in the right ballpark with the specs for both though.

Forum Sage

Lolz at the specs. If they're using an APU, it'll be **** in regards to performance. I don't like the sound of this at all. At this rate, next gen will be three plus years behind the performance curve. Ugh.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Until MS and Sony actually and officially release these things I'm going to pretend both consoles have a 10TBHDD and run on a 1TB SSD drive for OS, and have a 8 GB GPU and 20GB RAM and costs $400NZD.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Lolz at the specs. If they're using an APU, it'll be **** in regards to performance. I don't like the sound of this at all. At this rate, next gen will be three plus years behind the performance curve. Ugh.
    *sigh*
    here we go again....APU is not synonymous to low performance and please stop implying that it is.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    Can somebody explain to me what APU is? compared to the standard hardware found in previous generations? And why do people ***** about it?

PSU Technical Advisor
    True. It's a monster APU- the likes of which have not been seen on a desktop. Not yet anyway so far as I'm aware.

An APU is basically a SOC or system on a chip. All the resources are bundled together on one mega chip for heat\power reasons. In addition it -should- give increase performance given how close all the components are to one another. For embedded systems, like consoles and handhelds, it's a win win.

I mean yes, Orbis is not as powerful as it could be (given, again, theoretical specs), but that has nothing to do with the fact that it's an APU and everything to do with the financial strategy of Sony. 8x more RAM, high quality RAM at that (typical Sony), an OK CPU and a fairly robust GPU. The weakest part of the design is probably the CPU, but given that so much work is not being offloaded onto GPU's anyway this is not really as big a problem I guess. In conjunction with the custom chips for audio\video this removes even further strain on it.

Anyways, at the end of the day it's all about how the system works as one single entity- like an orchestra. The PS3 had some well noted bottlenecks and non-friendly developer learning curve. Orbis (PS4, whatever) shouldn't have this problem.

Much, much faster read speed from BluRays, Hard Drive should be included out of the box, ample bandwidth, very straight forward GPU and CPU design (both of which are very flexible), and hopefully alot of mature tools and documentation for developers.

And I'm willing to bet the OS situation is nowhere near as borked as it was on the PS3.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-29-2013 at 02:24.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

12. Likes Two4DaMoney , Itachi , Zswordsman wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    The only question is: is this an echo chamber or are the 'sources' triangulating on these specs, I think the later, but we'll see, likely pretty soon.

The 2 systems share a lot which is better for ps4 buyers than the last generation. PS4 has some extra juice and went fast ram rather than saving some slow ram to handle kinnect and some form of windows 8 bth always on - that's the pivot of the two this generation: will a computer in the living room, running the tv, having voice interface, maybe something like that projector demo from a couple weeks ago, surface, services etc win out or will Sony giving their developers and ND getting the rig they want to write their code, engine, interface for much of the 1st/2nd parties create some can't miss moments?

As a fan of the playstation style of games, I'm certainly excited - we're going to likely get some serious f'n games; I'm not sure it's enough to win in the US, but certainly can be enough to win the genearation the way PS seems to have some mojo back and should be releasing with some guns a'blazin. Nintendo is an also ran here it seems, can Sony release for chirstmas in the west with their top flight studios? Should be fun for a sony fan

Ultimate Veteran
    One thing is certain. We won't have to wait years and years for vaporware to be cancelled next-gen. Running with a design that is accessible to developers WILL net benefits. We can save the "hidden powah" arguments for another day.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Even I'm tired of these spec 'leaks' I want to see games now!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post

MOOORRRE f'n rumors. I'm losing it.
    Holy ****!!! I just about pissed myself laughing. It is really getting out of hand. They are starting to correlate with each other for the most part though. I really hate when they are all across the board. That is when it is just down right stupid. I'll wait until I hear it from the horses mouth than putting much stock in rumors. Hopefully we will hear something from both camps soon.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

17. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Directx 11.1 feature set = all features of dx11.1 but obviously with OpenGL
    Most developers will use new version of LibGCM, as it will have superior flexibility.

I really hope that ps4 will be as flexible as possible with memexport and other CPU/GPU communication methods.
    The ability to use CPU cores for certain tasks during pipeline can be hugely advantageous.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

19. Likes Lefein wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'd be happy if Versus was released for the next-gen consoles. We waited this long already. Might as well wait a bit more for a next-gen version.

And if both 15 and 16 are already underway, then Ito's crew must be making 15. And I don't know who the hell is making 16.
    Yeah seriously, since its been taking so long, mind as well make it better by putting it on next gen and have it as console release title.

Forum Sage

*sigh*
    here we go again....APU is not synonymous to low performance and please stop implying that it is.
    It isn't synonymous with great performance either. It's a top-down solution based on 30+ year old easy-to-code-for computing technology. And with the clock speed being as low as it is, It's safe to say it'll be as powerful as some of the upcoming netbooks due out later this year, none of which are impressive on the performance front. What should have been done is continuing the PS3's established road map. The Cell was a bottom-up solution and it worked wonders.

@Lefein. There won't be any hidden power or very little of it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    Effffffffff guys Iam so tired of these stories. I just wants Sony to show the PS4 and thats alll.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    It isn't synonymous with great performance either. It's a top-down solution based on 30+ year old easy-to-code-for computing technology. And with the clock speed being as low as it is, It's safe to say it'll be as powerful as some of the upcoming netbooks due out later this year, none of which are impressive on the performance front. What should have been done is continuing the PS3's established road map. The Cell was a bottom-up solution and it worked wonders.

@Lefein. There won't be any hidden power or very little of it.
    New unique design = complain about exotic architecture & no regard dev ease
    Conventional design = complain about 30 year old technology

Also, do you realize you are talking about a game console here? What's the point of comparing it to netbooks which aren't meant for gaming anyway? It's not a number comparison for consoles. I'd like to see a netbook run even internet explorer with 256mb RAM let alone achieve The Last of Us visuals. Point being, if such great things are being done on 7 years old hardware then anything is better. And for the record this 'weak' APU has 10x GPU and 10x CPU (PPE) performance, 8x RAM and 8x bandwidth than ps3.

You are making some pretty heavy assumptions about power.

24. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage

New unique design = complain about exotic architecture & no regard dev ease
    Conventional design = complain about 30 year old technology

Also, do you realize you are talking about a game console here? What's the point of comparing it to netbooks which aren't meant for gaming anyway? It's not a number comparison for consoles. I'd like to see a netbook run even internet explorer with 256mb RAM let alone achieve The Last of Us visuals. Point being, if such great things are being done on 7 years old hardware then anything is better. And for the record this 'weak' APU has 10x GPU and 10x CPU (PPE) performance, 8x RAM and 8x bandwidth than ps3.

You are making some pretty heavy assumptions about power.
    Maybe, but my assumptions are based on products out in the market now and/or scheduled for release later in the year. The thing is, I never complained about the exotic architecture of the PS3. I am however complaining about the conventional design of what the PS4 is likely to have. I just don't see the performance increase that everyone is raving about. Mark my words, the numbers will be padded... heavily. I'm not buying any of these supposed performance leaps that this APU will supposedly bring. Ultimately though, I think I'll wait to see real in-game footage of next generation games before I dismiss or embrace. For now though, color me unimpressed.

Ultimate Veteran
    The ps4 will be a beast.these specs seem right there is no bottle neck with the cpu and gpu on one die cant waite to per order ps4..

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Maybe, but my assumptions are based on products out in the market now and/or scheduled for release later in the year. The thing is, I never complained about the exotic architecture of the PS3. I am however complaining about the conventional design of what the PS4 is likely to have. I just don't see the performance increase that everyone is raving about. Mark my words, the numbers will be padded... heavily. I'm not buying any of these supposed performance leaps that this APU will supposedly bring. Ultimately though, I think I'll wait to see real in-game footage of next generation games before I dismiss or embrace. For now though, color me unimpressed.
    ps3 was said to be a 2TF system (more than the ps4 specs ), there's a slide flowing around that shows that, too lazy t dig it up.

I don't know what people like you were expecting from a 200W console $399

Forum Sage

ps3 was said to be a 2TF system (more than the ps4 specs ), there's a slide flowing around that shows that, too lazy t dig it up.

I don't know what people like you were expecting from a 200W console $399
    I remember the hoopla surrounding the PS3 very well. Believe me, the numbers were padded... heavily. Anyway, for $399, I expect a bit more than the average Joe. For $599, I expected a lot more from the PS3. Instead of tech demos this time around, I want actual verifiable proof of what these consoles can handle, in real time and in real world conditions.

29. Likes mistercrow wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I remember the hoopla surrounding the PS3 very well. Believe me, the numbers were padded... heavily. Anyway, for $399, I expect a bit more than the average Joe. For $599, I expected a lot more from the PS3. Instead of tech demos this time around, I want actual verifiable proof of what these consoles can handle, in real time and in real world conditions.
    Tech demos show absolutely nothing to me. Although they always like to go flashing those around pre release. Show me gameplay not something that we aren't going to see.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Thread Information