Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

    Questions about Killzone Mercenary? PSU has hands-on impressions!

    I just had the chance to play Killzone Mercenary firsthand, single and multi player. Hit me up with your questions - I'm gonna be watching this space like a hawk and I can answer them!

    PSU will have full hands-on impressions on the homepage soon, but I'll be answering questions here first.

  2. #2
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    1,477 (0 Banked)
    How do you run in the game? The ways Nihilistic has done with Resistance and Black Ops (Pressing D-Pad down, swiping rear touchpad, auto run), seemed to be good, yet they all sucked in their own way.

  3. #3
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    1,477 (0 Banked)
    Dude you are watching this thread like a mole

  4. #4
    Master Poster
    LfCpS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    10,788 (0 Banked)
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    How smooth is the frames per second/the game?

    On the vita screen, is it like KZ3?

    How are the controls?

    How does the Single player work? is it just cod with just random missions or like a proper storyline mission?

    How much content is there like guns? ( probably will change)


    I want this game now

  5. #5
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    20,896
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    29,820 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You are Lucky to play this game

  6. #6
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by breaKdown.iNC View Post
    Dude you are watching this thread like a mole
    Sorry! To answer your question, you sprint by pressing Circle while moving forward. Circle is also the crouch toggle, but it works pretty well because you HOLD Circle to crouch even if you're running (which initiates a slide), or press while standing still.

  7. #7
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    How smooth is the frames per second/the game?

    On the vita screen, is it like KZ3?

    How are the controls?

    How does the Single player work? is it just cod with just random missions or like a proper storyline mission?

    How much content is there like guns? ( probably will change)


    I want this game now
    The framerate is usually stable, but there are rare moments when you'll notice it dip below 20. It was always playable, and they've got time to polish it up.

    Controls work very well, feel very familiar. The only odd choice to me was putting Weapon Swap on the touchscreen. Usually that's Triangle, but now Triangle initiates melee and other actions. It's fine, except for brutal melee kills require a touchscreen swipe anyway, so why not just put melee on the screen to begin with?

    SP is a proper story line broken up into 8 missions of approximately 1 hour lengths. In that sense, this is a full console campaign, set at various times during the console trilogy.

    Wasn't able to count the number of guns, but the cash you earn in SP and MP can be used to buy everything from guns to perks to equipment to VAN-GUARD deployables, which I talked about in a PSU article.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    GazzaGSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,468
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    23,500 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Sounds brill and really liking that sprint technique/slide to crouch.

    Cant wait for more on this

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Master Poster
    LfCpS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    10,788 (0 Banked)
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Thanks,hopefully the framerate is sorted.

    Is the AI the same also? are they like KZ3 as they flank/ use cover? or are they more.....stupid as in stand in the middle shooting.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    GazzaGSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,468
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    23,500 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Even at this early stage, it is a vast improvement over resistance BS and CoD isnt it? Im gagging for a decent fps on the vita as most probably are to the point where I was even hoping for a modern combat port from the Android/iOS devices.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Forum Guru
    Terminator 101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,674
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,510 (440 Banked)
    1. Story wise, does it take place before or after Liberation?
    2. Does it make any references to Templar, Rico, Lugar, and/or any of the characters from KZ1 & Liberation?
    3. Do you think 6 maps will be enough?
    4. Are there many online trophies?
    6. Are spawn beacons back and/or has squad spawning been added?
    7. Do you think the multiplayer will have lot of replayablity?
    8. Is there co-op?
    9. Is the touchpad used for anything else besides brutal melee and weapon switching?
    10. Is there a button for taking cover?
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

    Playstation Move for the win!

  12. #12
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Thanks,hopefully the framerate is sorted.

    Is the AI the same also? are they like KZ3 as they flank/ use cover? or are they more.....stupid as in stand in the middle shooting.
    The AI is SO much better than other Vita first-person-shooters. They seemed just a TAD less aggressive than Killzone 2/3, but those games are renowned for being difficult shooters, so the AI in Mercenary felt perfect for Vita. They definitely aren't afraid to flood your position with grenades or flank you.

    Check out my full impressions for more: http://www.psu.com/a018150/Hands-on-...chmark-shooter

  13. #13
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    1. Story wise, does it take place before or after Liberation?
    2. Does it make any references to Templar, Rico, Lugar, and/or any of the characters from KZ1 & Liberation?
    3. Do you think 6 maps will be enough?
    4. Are there many online trophies?
    6. Are spawn beacons back and/or has squad spawning been added?
    7. Do you think the multiplayer will have lot of replayablity?
    8. Is there co-op?
    9. Is the touchpad used for anything else besides brutal melee and weapon switching?
    10. Is there a button for taking cover?
    Story-wise, it follows the adventures of this mercenary character - Arran Danner - throughout all three games. For example, the second mission occurs just before the beachhead invasion on Helghan that opens Killzone 2. The story spreads out from there, as the main idea becomes rescuing an ISA Ambassador's son, who is extremely important for reasons unknown.

    Not sure about specific character references, but I wouldn't be surprised if you come across them from time to time. I don't have any information about online trophies, and we didn't play long enough for me to figure out if spawn beacons for squads make a return. Multiplayer definitely seems like the real deal, especially because the infamous "Warzone" mode from past titles returns here. Maps are much bigger than other Vita FPS games a consequence of Warzone mode.

    Touchpad is also used for equipping grenades and specific applications to the VAN-GUARD deployable weapons. For instance, you can launch a drone that presents an overhead view of the map with enemy positions highlighted. Simply tap the enemy positions to launch orbital strikes.

    If you're crouched behind a piece of cover, Arran will take cover and you can lean in-and-out, just like the console versions.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    GazzaGSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,468
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    23,500 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Thanks for all the info, I hope so much for a ps store demo September is too far away!

    In a way though im glad they're taking the time to polish it and make a decent vita fps unlike the other vita fps's.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #15
    Master Poster
    LfCpS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    10,788 (0 Banked)
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Wish i did not ask those questions, too hyped now


    LONG wait, what makes it worse is that GTA V is coming the same day, my luck.

  16. #16
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    108,860 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Story-wise, it follows the adventures of this mercenary character - Arran Danner - throughout all three games. For example, the second mission occurs just before the beachhead invasion on Helghan that opens Killzone 2. The story spreads out from there, as the main idea becomes rescuing an ISA Ambassador's son, who is extremely important for reasons unknown.

    Not sure about specific character references, but I wouldn't be surprised if you come across them from time to time. I don't have any information about online trophies, and we didn't play long enough for me to figure out if spawn beacons for squads make a return. Multiplayer definitely seems like the real deal, especially because the infamous "Warzone" mode from past titles returns here. Maps are much bigger than other Vita FPS games a consequence of Warzone mode.

    Touchpad is also used for equipping grenades and specific applications to the VAN-GUARD deployable weapons. For instance, you can launch a drone that presents an overhead view of the map with enemy positions highlighted. Simply tap the enemy positions to launch orbital strikes.

    If you're crouched behind a piece of cover, Arran will take cover and you can lean in-and-out, just like the console versions.
    How many players for MP?


  17. #17
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    How many players for MP?
    4 v 4 is the max.

  18. #18
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    PSN ID
    XSpike
    Posts
    915
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    3,813 (0 Banked)
    How big are the MP maps? KZ2-3 size? a bit smaller?

    Do you think it'll have botzone for the MP levels?
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

  19. #19
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,870
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    39,121 (0 Banked)
    Killzone: Mercenary is sounding awesome.

    Another must have game for the PS Vita.


  20. #20
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,372
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    7,054 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    How is the controls? Easy or it feels like complicate since its on VITA?


    CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

  21. #21
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,602
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    36,715 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon_Filter View Post
    How is the controls? Easy or it feels like complicate since its on VITA?
    Controls work very well, because they're very similar to what you'd expect from the PS3 Killzone games. Figuring out how Crouch/Sprint works is a little tricky since they're on the same button, but once you realize that Arran sprints if you're moving and crouches if you're not, it works out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.