PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PSU is playing Tearaway! Post your questions here

Another game, another thread. PSU is currently enjoying hands-on time with Media Molecule's brilliantly creative Vita title Tearaway! Post any questions you have about the game here; I'll be checking this thread and answering

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What are your thoughts on the level design? Is it fun to play?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    How well implemented is the touch pad? Does it feel like a gimmick?

How well does it run?

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    What are your thoughts on the level design? Is it fun to play?
    Media Molecule is promising a series of open-world playgrounds as levels in Tearaway, but the demo I played felt rather linear. In terms of aesthetic, it's totally refreshing - paper is EVERYTHING, and the way it unfolds around you and reacts to your presence is brilliant. Beyond that, parts of Tearaway feel very much like a typical (albeit inventive) 3D platformer - you've got your jumping, you're using items to distract enemies, etc. It was definitely a lot of fun, but for different reasons than LittleBigPlanet has been. Tearaway is more like a focused experience where there's an underlying message you want to uncover, and secrets you know are right in front of you if you can interact with the paper in the right way.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    How well implemented is the touch pad? Does it feel like a gimmick?

How well does it run?
    It doesn't feel at all like a gimmick, mostly because paper is such a tactile thing that we play with using our hands to begin. Using the touch screen to peal away layers of paper in the environment doesn't feel like stroking the screen arbitrarily, it feels like you're actually unraveling paper.

I personally don't think that the demo level I played was a great indicator of what the game at large can accomplish - what we saw in videos and trailers looked a great deal more interactive, and none of the other finger stuff seemed gimmicky either.

Runs great. I'd guess about 40 fps -- seemed to jump between 30-ish and 60-ish depending on what was onscreen. Still, that's like butter. Looks awesome, too.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    So from what you've described, the levels are linear, yet still have lots to explore like LittleBigPlanet?

Does the game have a level editor any user created content stuff/online functionality? (I'd be happy with just a barebones sp but it would be interesting)

Also the game will definitely go retail?

Via Tapatalk

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    gonna sound stupid, but :
    I saw videos where you tap your finger on the back screen and the finger pierces the paper on the screen, will it be your thumb color or just a "pink" finger = will black or asian people have a black or yellow finger appear on screen?

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    would you say the world feels as malleable as some of the reviews state?

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTenth666 View Post
    I saw videos where you tap your finger on the back screen and the finger pierces the paper on the screen, will it be your thumb color or just a "pink" finger = will black or asian people have a black or yellow finger appear on screen?
    Haha maybe its a setting :P

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTenth666 View Post
    Not a stupid question at all! At the moment, there are three finger colors for male and female; white, black, and... I'm not sure of the third. I imagine it's a cross between the two.

You can select which finger color and gender you want at any time - even different colors for each hand! They may add more before release

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    So from what you've described, the levels are linear, yet still have lots to explore like LittleBigPlanet?

Does the game have a level editor any user created content stuff/online functionality? (I'd be happy with just a barebones sp but it would be interesting)

Also the game will definitely go retail?

Via Tapatalk
    The section we played was very linear, but I was promised by a Media Molecule dev later that they specifically chose a linear section for us to minimize our difficulties and give us a easy-to-grasp view of the game. He actually said that he was against showing us this section and wanted to give a more wide-open one, but majority rules.

So, definitely sounds like there will be a healthy mix of more open, playground areas in each of the game's five "zones" (which are also divided into "levels"). Unfortunately, there will be no creation or sharing mode of any kind - apparently, the engine they use to emulate paper is so complex and tricky that they believe users wouldn't have any fun with it.

Not 100% sure about retail, but it's definitely the full size of a retail title, so I'd imagine so.

12. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    would you say the world feels as malleable as some of the reviews state?
    There are definitely lots of parts where you can interact with the world, even in as linear a section as we played. For example, I could use my thumb to peel away layers of a flower that eventually lowered a petal as a bridge for me. Another use required my thumb to roll back a sheet that was holding an extendable bridge in place.

Combined with what you've seen in trailers, I have no doubt you'll be constantly surprised while playing this game.

14. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    The section we played was very linear, but I was promised by a Media Molecule dev later that they specifically chose a linear section for us to minimize our difficulties and give us a easy-to-grasp view of the game. He actually said that he was against showing us this section and wanted to give a more wide-open one, but majority rules.

So, definitely sounds like there will be a healthy mix of more open, playground areas in each of the game's five "zones" (which are also divided into "levels"). Unfortunately, there will be no creation or sharing mode of any kind - apparently, the engine they use to emulate paper is so complex and tricky that they believe users wouldn't have any fun with it.

Not 100% sure about retail, but it's definitely the full size of a retail title, so I'd imagine so.

Sounds awesome, thanks for the reply

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    Not a stupid question at all! At the moment, there are three finger colors for male and female; white, black, and... I'm not sure of the third. I imagine it's a cross between the two.

You can select which finger color and gender you want at any time - even different colors for each hand! They may add more before release
    first thanks for the answer
    then, WOW, nice attention to this detail from the developers

Thread Information