Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    like others have said unless you are doing any kind of intensive Video Editing or running high end ICE enhancer mods on GTA4 it would be pointless to have 32 GB .my Mobo supports 32GB too but I Doubt I will ever go beyond the 8GB I have now as I have never used it all on anything so far.
    Iam just a basic user and I don't no any crazy things.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There is a multi quote funtion to the right of Reply with Quote click it for each post you want to quote then when finished click reply

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Yeah if you're not doing anything to use what you got now it's just a waste of cash.

You'd be much better served by taking that money and putting it towards a nice shiny new SSD

4. Likes x_terna likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    a nice shiny new SSD
    40 seconds from power button to fully loaded and ready to use Windows 7.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Not trying to be a downer, but I never really saw why this was such a prized and wanted benefit considering the price. Is 10-20 additional seconds on startup really that big of a deal?

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style

just put your PC in Sleep Mode & you get the same result :P.....J/K
    Last edited by John25; 02-01-2013 at 02:18.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Not trying to be a downer, but I never really saw why this was such a prized and wanted benefit considering the price. Is 10-20 additional seconds on startup really that big of a deal?
    I like it. My Windows 7 machine boots incredibly quick and all my start up programs are instantly available for use. To some that could be a big deal... there are impatient people. For me, I need to couple it with the lack of mechanical failure, lack of fragmentation, cooler and quieter equipment and overall performance increase... then it's a big deal.

SSDs are great.

Forum Overseer
    For a second, I thought I was back in 1994.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    40 seconds...if that. I'm at the desktop in about 15 I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Not just bootup, other programs (like say a web browser for example) are snappy as hell if you install them on an SSD. It's just nice. Besides that when I want to turn on my pc and play a game I want to play a game _NOW_ lol

To a normal user a bottom end pc with an ssd will feel faster than a top tier one without an ssd.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It takes on average about 15 seconds to actually post a PC let alone getting to the desktop.

Once onto the desktop it takes about 5 seconds for everything to be fully loaded but for those wondering whether it's worth it for an SSD to only do that? Only having Windows on an SSD will make your entire system instantly response, instantly load programmes, and in general you'll have a much better experience. If you have another SSD then put your most used programmes on that and you'll be laughing. Productivity goes through the roof. On an HDD I can boot up 3ds Max, MudBox, Photoshop, and UDK at the same time in about 2 minutes, on an SSD it takes about 10 seconds - did I mention the programme responsiveness?

Forum Overseer
    HDDs are definitely one of the biggest bottlenecks in PCs.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    It takes on average about 15 seconds to actually post a PC let alone getting to the desktop.

Once onto the desktop it takes about 5 seconds for everything to be fully loaded but for those wondering whether it's worth it for an SSD to only do that? Only having Windows on an SSD will make your entire system instantly response, instantly load programmes, and in general you'll have a much better experience. If you have another SSD then put your most used programmes on that and you'll be laughing. Productivity goes through the roof. On an HDD I can boot up 3ds Max, MudBox, Photoshop, and UDK at the same time in about 2 minutes, on an SSD it takes about 10 seconds - did I mention the programme responsiveness?
    Hmm...I'll have to go and actually time it. My guess might be skewed by the fact that I'm usually waiting for my tv to turn on after I've hit the pc power button.

Either way: It's a very noticeable difference.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Unless your doing 3D work or music/video editing on a big level or even folding at home projects then no 32GB is overkill I think games use a max of 4GB so 8GB would be perfect I upgraded last with the rig below and bought 8GB of RAM as my previous AMD 945 X4 at 4GB and everything plays miles better. My friend also bought a pre built custom PC and got 16GB of RAM but he wont use half of that

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I'm actually thinking of doing the same myself, though I work with heavy 3D software that uses A LOT of power to render. I'd say only if you use similar software, but its definitely not needed for games yet.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Dave, what I've done is have a separate Linux PC purely for rendering, I've got 32GB RAM in it (using Gentoo) and just render everything through that. Even if it takes a little longer than my main box to do video (due to less CUDA cores) it still gives the same results and it's much cheaper plus I don't have to wait for my PC to become idle again when I want to do other things.

Thread Information