Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Edge: PS4 to launch early 2014 in EU. More powerful than next Xbox.

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20
    th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution.
    Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specifiation

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/play...-4-revealed/2/

- Early 2014?
    - A share button? Possible social integration ala TwitchTV?
    - Slightly more powerful and (this is key) very simple to work with?

You better put me down for one now.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Add PS+ (and IGC) with gaikai and this all sounds very appealing. Still just rumors for now though.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I sure hope early 2014 EU means late 2013 US lol

I am so damn ready to get out of this gen!!!!!!!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB
    I like this

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

5. Likes Zswordsman, DTurkin, Lefein likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I sure hope early 2014 EU means late 2013 US lol

I am so damn ready to get out of this gen!!!!!!!
    We can hold hands and skip out together?
    Last edited by berts08; 02-01-2013 at 16:39.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Good:

The record/upload option ( but expect more "leet montage 360 no scope" )

Possible ram upgrade ( this is good and bad, good as it could mean the nextbox is $#@!ed IMO, especially if its 8 GDDR5, which I very much doubt is true because it is just ridiculous to believe, 6GB is also unlikely BUT should be more than enough to out do the nextbox, especially with rumours of the nextbox having a bloated OS that will take a few GB). I would prefer 6gb over 8 because of the lower price of the console.

Much easer to make than before PLUS slightly more powerful than the nextbox ( add these two and you could be quite noticeable difference, unless developers cater to the lowest console)

Bad:

ram upgrade, especially if it is the GDDR5 could mean a more expensive price

Stupid EU delay, SONY will be crazy to delay the console in a place that is THE BIGGEST benefit for them. If MS gain this area then it could be very bad for them and they will deserve it for delaying it

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.
    Not too much new but this quote has me confused. Why are they pushing for 8gigs of gddr5 when 4gigs was said to be enough to keep it from being hit with bottlenecks?

Ugh, the 20th cant get here soon enough.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    We can hold hands and skip out together?
    Don't mind my sweaty hand. I get nervous on first dates.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Don't mind my sweaty hand. I get nervous on first dates.
    Don't mind my sticky hand. I tend to get frisky before a date

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Apparently the "match up" is when SONY went from 2 GB to 4 GB of ram, so its old news i guess.

Ultimate Veteran
    8GBs of GDDR5?! Does this mean shared or will the GPU have a dedicated 4Gigs? Damn, son!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Makes me happy PS4 it is for me!! Give me GT6 on launch day and ill be one happy ass gamer

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Doesn't matter what it's like in the end, we all know we're all gonna get one :P
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

15. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I m actually sick of these reports, and any more and i might actually throw up
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I will be amazed if it ends up with 8GB of GDDR5 ram, but I am not holding out for that to happen! Although it would be amazing to see what kind of games you could create with that kind of RAM, hopefully the GPU will be equally up to par!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

18. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    8GBs of GDDR5?! Does this mean shared or will the GPU have a dedicated 4Gigs? Damn, son!
    That's what I'm thinking, wtf. I somehow doubt they'll go with EIGHT gb of ddr5 That would be something tho..

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    Doesn't matter what it's like in the end, we all know we're all gonna get one :P
    Very true...i`m off for a pre ps4 announcement $#@!...cya in three...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    That's what I'm thinking, wtf. I somehow doubt they'll go with EIGHT gb of ddr5 That would be something tho..
    The thing that has me WTFing this whole time is how AMD developed a memory controller for their CPUs that can handle DDR5 or GDDR5. The big news later this year was that their CPUs would start to support DDR4 in the Dekstop space. As you can see from this article, there was even talk of Intel lagging behind in supporting DDR4:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel...s-273395.shtml

So, making the leap to (G)DDR5 support is like literally jumping a generation of memory controllers for desktop PCs. A very important generation, too, considering DDR3 has been in desktops since 2008. It seems to suggest that Sony spent their R&D money with AMD to create a huge impact that has some interesting repercussions. Then again, until the actual architecture of the PS4 is announced, this is all just speculation.

Kinda funny when you look at it that way, huh? Perhaps the missing link to making APUs viable in gaming has been this lag in memory support all along. Did Sony's propellerheads and AMD's propellerheads crack that egg? I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I bet Sony has consulted with 1st and 3rdpartydevslike they did with Vita. There will have been talks with Naughty Dog where they said "What's important for you guys" and ND will've given them....The List.

Ultimate Veteran
    i have my PS4 funds all ready for it. i like how they are saying very simple to work sony needs the ps4 to be simple
    i bet it will launch in the uk around feb of 14

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Well I am ready too, but picking us over eu zone ??? Guess I may travel to Us for the next christmas
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    the. hype. train. is. sucking. me. in. must. RESIST!!!

6GB GDDR5 would be fine imo, the difference would only be noticeable in a game like skyrim. 4GB is plenty if the OC is efficient
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    the. hype. train. is. sucking. me. in. must. RESIST!!!

6GB GDDR5 would be fine imo, the difference would only be noticeable in a game like skyrim. 4GB is plenty if the OC is efficient
    Good luck...I...couldn't....resist!!! Choo Choo!!!!!!!!!! Roll on hype train. Can't wait!

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

27. Likes Fijiandoce, Lefein likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Hoping for a touch screen instead of the touch pad.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hopefully they can sort out Australia by the end of the year... I'll be so sad if I have to wait

Thread Information