Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    i don't see how illumiRoom can be a factor. no way can it be included in the box, won't it require a projector?

dedicating in built processing power to an optional (expensive) extra seems like suicide
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    i don't see how illumiRoom can be a factor. no way can it be included in the box, won't it require a projector?

dedicating in built processing power to an optional (expensive) extra seems like suicide
    Factor, no. Option, yes.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Id also point out, a 2nd half power GPU would allow them to do illumroom and various other things.

Until we see both specs on the table we have no idea who is doing what.
    Your getting hyped up over rumors.

That 1.8 TF rumor has been around since June last year.

It also said the mahcine was going to have 2gb.
    well obviously, but regardless I'll be impressed by any sort of improvement (unless its not a Wii U scenario again)
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Master Sage
    What happened to the dual GPU rumor did that all change?
    Meh.
    Well the whole dual GPU thing is one of the oldest rumor I ever heard, I must look for a source on that and see if anything else on that source has panned out with recent ones.
    It would help if you decided to keep up to date with these rumors and fully read what you are posting...

Ya know what, I went back and looked at paste bin guy, then compared them to the leaked spec, rumors of dual gpu/scalers.
    Just because these rumors were first to hit does not mean they are the ones that won't change. It's usually the latest leaks near console launch that won't change. You sure did do some digging and most of what you talk about are old ass rumors lol.

Then we have this http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Rum...ely-37271.html

Now tie them both to the leaked MS documents you have.
    Leaked 2010 ms document and 2011 rumors that also said the console was going to be revealed in jan 2012. Oh, that same cinemablend document also said this...

If the event comes and goes without a single whisper from Microsoft about a new console then we can just pass these latest rumors off as bogus.
    Jan 12' was over a year ago. That leaves it as bogus.

All in all I think thats what you are going to get frankly.
    2+2 does not equal 3. Basically, I'm not saying you can't speculate like the rest of us but if you are going to do so, don't post old rumors and wonder why no one is talking about the same things you are.

Ultimate Veteran
    Meh, i dont really see anything having changed, except that perhaps everyone thinks it has 8gb ddr3, and the 2nd gpu has turned in to a so called scaler chip.
    Frankly i thought you would like my idea two, it leaves the purely gaming side of it as a 6 core cpu with a 1.2tf gpu, which is grossly underspec compared to the ps4.

As you yourself have pointed out, the 720 chips were likely taped out sometime ago.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-05-2013 at 07:35.

Elite Guru
    Meh, i dont really see anything having changed, except that perhaps everyone thinks it has 8gb ddr3, and the 2nd gpu has turned in to a so called scaler chip.
    Frankly i thought you would like my idea two, it leaves the purely gaming side of it as a 6 core cpu with a 1.2tf gpu, which is grossly underspec compared to the ps4.

As you yourself have pointed out, the 720 chips were likely taped out sometime ago.
    Mynd wouldn't a 2nd gen Hana 2 chip take care of scaling?
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Veteran
    I hope the new Xbox isn't as mediocre as these rumours lead us to believe. I'm not going to get one regardless (unless they ditch live subscription and make a better controller) but it's bad for gaming in general if one of the new consoles is quite significantly underpowered and that's not even taking the Wii U into account.

Gaming will NOT take the step forwards it needs to with only one console that's really "next-gen"

However reading the resident MS apologists posts here and elsewhere is pretty hilarious

8. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I hope the new Xbox isn't as mediocre as these rumours lead us to believe. I'm not going to get one regardless (unless they ditch live subscription and make a better controller) but it's bad for gaming in general if one of the new consoles is quite significantly underpowered and that's not even taking the Wii U into account.

Gaming will NOT take the step forwards it needs to with only one console that's really "next-gen"

However reading the resident MS apologists posts here and elsewhere is pretty hilarious
    I doubt we'l ever get a better controller than the current 360 one...blows everyother console controller out the water. Im hoping they do a Sony and dont mess with the design apart from the D-Pad.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Mynd wouldn't a 2nd gen Hana 2 chip take care of scaling?
    The rumors are yuou can have two different frame buffers on with various res on screen at once.
    Thats really about two GPU's but people talk about it being some sort of scaler chip.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    The rumors are yuou can have two different frame buffers on with various res on screen at once.
    Thats really about two GPU's but people talk about it being some sort of scaler chip.
    Isn't that for the HUD? I read that the OS HUD will remain 1080p overlayed on a different resolution game
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    I doubt we'l ever get a better controller than the current 360 one...blows everyother console controller out the water. Im hoping they do a Sony and dont mess with the design apart from the D-Pad.
    Yeah, I think they are planning on going back to the original Xbox controller...

xbox-large-controller.jpg

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Ancient

Those specs don't really = mediocre results
    We will see some stunning games on MS's machine that look just like what the PS4 puts out in its games bar a few 1st party stuff
    All it means is the PS4 will have addes power which I'm sure only a handful of games will have, but thw general look of the games will be the same

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Isn't that for the HUD? I read that the OS HUD will remain 1080p overlayed on a different resolution game
    Yup which is why it still fits in perfectly with their system spec from the MS leaked doc.
    CPU's and GPU dedicated to OS.
    While separate CPU/GPU dedicated to games.

Elite Guru
    I know the xbox 360 had a scalar chip in it which as named Hana. So I was thinking and advanced version of the Hana chip could be in play.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    I know the xbox 360 had a scalar chip in it which as named Hana. So I was thinking and advanced version of the Hana chip could be in play.
    Oh I imagine there is one in there for sure.

Elite Guru

MS apologists aren't much worse than people claiming that only one console is "really next-gen" though.

especially when PC cards are pushing close to 4TF compared to 1.8.

you may not strictly be saying that, but the impression is there.

point being:
    a) these are still not confirmed specs
    b) lets not have the whole xbox 1.5 scenario again. raw figures don't tell the whole story, and that one didn't turn out too well....
    Last edited by J3ff3; 02-05-2013 at 21:41.

18. Likes Omar likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    MS apologists aren't much worse than people claiming that only one console is "really next-gen" though.
    Evidently they are

especially when PC cards are pushing close to 4TF compared to 1.8.
    Oh behave, consoles have never, ever had cutting edge hardware components in terms of the on board chips. But 0.6TF is a significant margin and if the rumours were going the other way you lot would be crowing about it til the cows come home. In fact there was a bit of that a while ago

The CPU's in both sound unimpressive but the PS4's rumoured GPU sounds the part.

you may not strictly be saying that, but the impression is there.
    My impression is that if MS ship a new Xbox with a 0.6TF graphics grunt deficit that isn't good for anyone

point being:
    a) these are still not confirmed specs
    b) lets not have the whole xbox 1.5 scenario again. raw figures don't tell the whole story, and that one didn't turn out too well....
    Well duh but look it's a thread to talk about exactly this stuff.... But with consoles that are more PC like than ever before raw figures tell more than in the past I feel.

point being I wasn't reading any of this "hey guys it's only rumerz" when the talk on the town was that Nextbox > PS4 by a factor of 2.

I don't actually think the new Xbox will be as underwhelming as the rumours suggest (and really hope it's not) but you can only comment on the current speculation

20. Likes TEJ2025 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    After reading the Durango specs, and given i don't know the gpu specs of the ps4 outside of the 1.8 tf figure, i would have to assume the gpu is less customised, more traditional than the durango.

If that is the case there is a lot of shortcuts the durango takes that are very worthy, such as texture fetch from esram. Thats make post processing and d r assembly very quick.

Elite Guru
    I really question the validity of these specs I mean what happened to the rumored Oban chip which was an SOC??

Ultimate Veteran
    It was too powerful so was ignored. As valid rumour.
    As was the whole late december change to the silicon.

Elite Guru
    Oh behave, consoles have never, ever had cutting edge hardware components in terms of the on board chips....if the rumours were going the other way you lot would be crowing about it til the cows come home. In fact there was a bit of that a while ago
    and? who are 'you lot'. name names, or use the report button. eitherway it doesn't justify you behaving the same does it?

i've been just as condemning of people trumping the durango to be some dual SoC beast (which makes no sense anyway) based on one misguided (and banned) poster over at B3D, as i have of you jumping to ridiculous conclusions that "only one console is next gen". and i've been just as quick to point out that there is quite a large difference based on current specs. so perhaps spend some time in the 360 section before declaring battle-lines, rather than trying some 'tit-for-tat' posting because you didn't like another pro-MS thread. this forum does NOT need to revert back to 2005. it was boring then and its boring now.

and besides, consoles HAVE had cutting edge hardware in the past. you are wrong. i doubt either will have any initial edge over their PC counterparts. look at titan.

The CPU's in both sound unimpressive but the PS4's rumoured GPU sounds the part.
    we know very little of the computational side of either console

point being I wasn't reading any of this "hey guys it's only rumerz" when the talk on the town was that Nextbox > PS4 by a factor of 2.
    so again, you are justifying comments like "only one console is next gen", because other people made similarly poor comments? so your defense is "they did it first"?

its unnecessary. leave the silly "xbox 1.5" hyperbole at the door.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 02-06-2013 at 00:48.

Elite Guru
    Oh I imagine there is one in there for sure.
    i assumed those were the three display planes? no?

Edit- just to back up my point against all this doom and gloom nonsense http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=511871

Another rumour, but from a so far reliable source. I'm not convinced there will be much in it .which is good for everyone
    Last edited by J3ff3; 02-06-2013 at 02:45.

Veteran
    You seem to have got it into your head I'm trying to defend what I said. It needs no defending, if you don't like it then you're very welcome to report me, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    To be fair if these specs are true (with most being underwhelmed by them), if MS can price Sony out of the market again by enough of a margin they'll be onto another winner in NA/US. I say that because you'd expect there will be multiplat parity in most cases

Both will have the games, both will have features - I suspect MS may have a wider selection, so in a age of $500+ smartphones and tablets a lot will come down to price IMO

Edit: Oh yeah and one will have a billion dollar ad campaign as well

"It's not about who makes the most noise..."

I garantee you. Most people will not know the difference between 2 console specs. MS will market is 1080P and people will like WOAH PS4 and NextBox have same graphics 1080p.

At same price point, I see Nextbox winning even with underwhelming lower spec. Marketing will neutralize everything

Elite Guru
    You seem to have got it into your head I'm trying to defend what I said. It needs no defending, if you don't like it then you're very welcome to report me, sir.
    no, i'm not surprised you're not trying to defend it. you just came in to gloat that the next xbox wasn't a next gen console because you didn't like what was said in a different thread. you've said as much yourself.

an irrational position is not defensible.

Thread Information