Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1424 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

We don't know because the info as far as Durango is old info.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Out of the two, a larger pool of faster RAM is the 'better' option imo BUT if you dont want to be that extravagant and still get the same bandwidth (near the same) with cheap memory then you could go the durango route. In this way durango is more efficient as it doesn't waste money on expensive ram but still manages to remove bottelneck.

It all depends on what you want as an end goal. If you just want higher bandwidth numbers with minimum cost, then durango may win that 'efficiency' battle but if you want bandwidth and ease of use then ps4 wins. See what I'm getting at?

This is all assuming ESRAM setup costs less than 8gb GDDR5
    Doesn't durango also have the ablity to output different resolutions to the same frame, allowing it to minimize the overhead needed over the bandwidth?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    Doesn't durango also have the ablity to output different resolutions to the same frame, allowing it to minimize the overhead needed over the bandwidth?
    yup, like I said durango is using many techniques to keep the the bandwidth bottleneck down, but now imagine if they used faster RAM then they wouldn't have to waste time doing these trivial things. It would allow for more time and effort to be put some where else.

just depends on what you want the console to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    We don't know because the info as far as Durango is old info.
    yes but we can only discuss with what we have

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Yeah, I think I understood that (edited my post to make that clear.) If you're hoping it solves the problem, how have you solved it? Providing more of something may have taken care of it, you haven't really solved the problem though.

Maybe I don't understand....but I think what I am trying to get at, is that, what could Sony have done that would make their approach efficient while also providing more 'brute' power.
    Comes down to money. 8gb of gddr5 aint cheap.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Based on what? Again, I emphasize that the leaks so far have been very accurate.

We know it has 8GB of DDR3- we know it has a GPU that is only 12 CU. We know that it has bandwidth problems and that the DME's + ESRAM are there to put it at proper levels.

And doubling up memory or adding more on the 720 won't make any sense. The PS4 can hardly use all of its 8GB for in-game purposes ostensibly, so alot of it will probably be for caching. The 720 is probably in the same boat but with a bigger\more bloated OS. Except it's using DDR3.

Remember:

720 has a 12 CU GPU, PS4 has 18
    720 and PS4 are very, very likely using Jaguars. Performance here is similar.
    720 has 8GB of DDR3, PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5. For game related tasks (graphic tasks), GDDR5 wins hands down.
    720 OS is (reliably) rumored to be around 3GB and to reserve 1-2 CPU cores. PS4 has a dedicated ARM chip to perform OS features (downloading, uploading, likely in-game chat\messaging, etc).

Unless the rumors have been completely, 100% wrong, which so far that seems stupidly unlikely, the next Xbox won't magically bridge this pretty sizeable gap. Not in time to release soon.. Lest they give the PS4 a very big time advantage.
    lets say all the rumours are true.
    it then looks like MS have a goal they intend to reach for what ever direction they are going to take 720 in. so whatever PS4 has in the box, it will be of little concern to them.

the messages coming from some at MS after Sony's rush PS4 reveal show they don't appear to be flustered by it at all. it looks more likely that Sony are fearing they are about to get lost in the reveal of 720 and are trying to have a voice before the rush starts.

so without revealing anything, round 1 to MS it is.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    lets say all the rumours are true.
    it then looks like MS have a goal they intend to reach for what ever direction they are going to take 720 in. so whatever PS4 has in the box, it will be of little concern to them.
    the messages coming from some at MS after Sony's rush PS4 reveal show they don't appear to be flustered by it at all. it looks more likely that Sony are fearing they are about to get lost in the reveal of 720 and are trying to have a voice before the rush starts.
    Well from a financial stand point Sony had to rush to show the ps4 because Japan is going into one of the nations woerst recession. The economy is shrinkiking and Kaz is unable to convince new investors that a turn around isnimminent. The show was to make a statement to investors that Sony future is bright.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Well from a financial stand point Sony had to rush to show the ps4 because Japan is going into one of the nations woerst recession. The economy is shrinkiking and Kaz is unable to convince new investors that a turn around isnimminent. The show was to make a statement to investors that Sony future is bright.
    USA is not in a good financial state either, would that mean that MS will rush to reveal the next xbox? And are you guys just asuming that sony rushed to this reveal or do you have a link where they confirm that they rushed to do it ?
    I doubt that MS will release a console inferior to sonys, but I think they got a little surprised by sonys reveal.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by JVH View Post
    USA is not in a good financial state either, would that mean that MS will rush to reveal the next xbox? And are you guys just asuming that sony rushed to this reveal or do you have a link where they confirm that they rushed to do it ?
    I doubt that MS will release a console inferior to sonys, but I think they got a little surprised by sonys reveal.
    Not right now but they still purchase more games than any other country, and sony's move shows how important it is to get a foothold here first. I bet MS were surprised by that surprise move but it's one they needed.

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JVH View Post
    It's evident that Sony rush I mean if the presentation is anything to go by. Journalist came from all around the global to see a controller and a bunch of trailers. An we were left with more unanswered questions.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's evident that Sony rush I mean if the presentation is anything to go by. Journalist came from all around the global to see a controller and a bunch of trailers. An we were left with more unanswered questions.
    Good grief why are people so hung up on seeing the box that the tech is wrapped up in?

$#@! SONY for not showing 6 pieces of plastic built into in a rectangular construction!!! PlayStation Meeting: FAILURE!

11. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Good grief why are people so hung up on seeing the box that the tech is wrapped up in?

$#@! SONY for not showing 6 pieces of plastic built into in a rectangular construction!!! PlayStation Meeting: FAILURE!
    Isnt that one of the main reason that they show up?? An to add to that they only showed pieces of the interface in which they could have elaborated more on. The Gaikai thing was cool, but it won't be there at launch, because the guy stood there the whole time talking about what there trying to achieve and nothing to show, but a vision. Confirmed specs are nice, but that is mostly for the devs and the hardcore users who really care about them. No system, no price. Like I said, people came from all around the world for some trailers, demos and expectations.

Forum Elder

I agree 100%

those are the peeps that are just looking to bash them and their minds are already madevup.

Im a sony fan and im not getting the 720 but I feel no need to bash them for what they do.

I just plan on enjoying the ps4 and its sure to be vast library of games.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I agree 100%

those are the peeps that are just looking to bash them and their minds are already madevup.

Im a sony fan and im not getting the 720 but I feel no need to bash them for what they do.

I just plan on enjoying the ps4 and its sure to be vast library of games.

So what Im doing is bashing Sony by giving my opinion of the conference. I mean I like what they showed gaming wise, but my overall opinion is that they left of unanswered questions.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

The same people that wanted Sony to show all their cards, get naked and spread those cheeks.

They act like E3 doesn't exist.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

16. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Isnt that one of the main reason that they show up?? An to add to that they only showed pieces of the interface in which they could have elaborated more on. The Gaikai thing was cool, but it won't be there at launch, because the guy stood there the whole time talking about what there trying to achieve and nothing to show, but a vision. Confirmed specs are nice, but that is mostly for the devs and the hardcore users who really care about them. No system, no price. Like I said, people came from all around the world for some trailers, demos and expectations.
    Wefound out that the PS4 is super dev friendly so we know we will get awesome games. We instalments of awesome 1st party exclusives...we were introduced to the possibilities of Gaikai and were shown some $#@!ing awesome features. How does said piece of plastic downplay that? it is completely cosmetic and to be honest I couldn't give any less of a $#@! how it looks because the form factor doesn't take anything away from all this goodness.

There is also 10 months of hype to build...Another PlayStation expo in a few days and E3 in 4 months...There is no shortage of events to release more info...

18. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

Haha can't please them all apparently

People should remember that some information regarding PS4 is out the way from the 2013 meeting now. They need to save some stuff to reveal at GDC, E3 and TGS

When having a release window 8-9 months away it is rather stupid to show all the 'bombs' as they were all at once. But it's okay, at least people have something to complain about for now xD

*popcorngif*

It makes more sense to blow your load in an Apple fashion. As in, the product is due to release a week or two later, but this is a quite a few months away - unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Spectacularly done.

And I'm out

20. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    We got to see something that is more important that what the PS4 will look like, we got to see games.

22. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Elite Sage
    When Kaz trolled MS and said he would let them reveal first, "Sony was stupid for letting MS reveal the 720 first" lol. And now that they have revealed the PS4 first, it's "rushed"

There's more to come.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-24-2013 at 16:50.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

24. Likes YoungMullah88 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    ^^ Agreed.

Alright, it was a nice detour but let's steer the discussion back to Durango. We have a whole section devoted to PS4.

Forum Elder
    So what Im doing is bashing Sony by giving my opinion of the conference. I mean I like what they showed gaming wise, but my overall opinion is that they left of unanswered questions.
    I didnt read your post. Did u bash them?

They would be stupid to show everything now.

Why do people need to see the box? Whats more important the plastic on the outside or the hardware inside.

And I was really referring to a bunch of journalist that said it was a disappointing show because they didnt see it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru

My opinion is of the overall conference and not just the showing of the box.

Elite Sage
    Some rumors are swirling around that Durango has a highly customized jaguar cpu. supposedly double off the shelf jaguar cpu or something like that.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Do you plan to buy it?

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    Do you plan to buy it?
    yes I do, I have a ps3 as well.

Forum Elder
    Opinions do vary. Overall I was very pleased with it, just because we have a few more shows to come.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information