Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran

Final Fantasy Versus XIII headed to PS4 (Rumor)

Another week, another batch of rumours about the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII. The latest one to surface claims the troubled-title is now in development for the next-generation of consoles and will finally be released in 2014.

This claim comes courtesy of NeoGAF user Verendus, who adds that when the game finally does surface it'll be without the Versus XIII suffix that it's sported so far.

He purports that all this will be revealed later this year when the game gets another outing; as it currently stands we haven't seen hide nor hair of the action-RPG since January 2011. This fits in with what we've heard previously; Square Enix has repeatedly asserted that the game hasn't been cancelled, and the original plans for the Fabula Nova Crystallis series are still being followed.

In fact, Verendus seems so confident that the game-formerly-known-as Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be released on the next generation in 2014 under a different title, that he volunteers to have his account deleted if the information proves to be false.

He also goes on to say that work is underway on both Final Fantasy 15 and Final Fantasy 16 for the next-gen consoles, with 15 looking likely to be "an exclusive release. Kind of."

Now while this isn't particularly surprising, it's interesting when viewed in conjunction with his previous claims that Versus will be getting a rebrand. What if Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now Final Fantasy 15 and set to be an exclusive title for Sony's console, as it was planned to be for the PS3. This would then mean Final Fantasy 16 would be the next main entry in the series that would also appear on Microsoft's new console.

Ultimately, we don't know. When IGN reached out to Square Enix we were told the company wouldn't comment on rumour or speculation. So for now, at least, we're going to have to wait and see. But with a big PlayStation event taking place in just over a week, who knows? Maybe we'll be hearing something sooner than we think...
    Source

It does make some kind of sense, let's hope it's true.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Source

It does make some kind of sense, let's hope it's true.

Honestly, I've been screaming at the top of my lungs this was going to happen. The title was probably a bit more ambitious then they anticipated and decided just to let it have all the time it needs and make it a next gen title. This also makes a lot of sense since it'll get a lot of attention at the beginning of the gen and if it's still a PS exclusive it'll allow the PS4 to get a strong base from the jump.

I hope SE learned...dont announce a project if it's more than 2 years away. Just bad karma
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I hope this is the case. If we're gonna wait this long, then we might as well get a PS4 game.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Pretty much what Ixion said.

I'm actally still very very excited for this game despite all the delays and then all the no shows lol. Square got me good

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Going to say the exact samething from the other thread. Imagine it was announced for the ps4 and we end up waiting another 6 years only to see its going to be out for the ps5 lol...

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Yeah, might as well. I'm still bummed that we still have to wait until the game is released but if this will make it look more awesome then by all means. Would be amazing if it becomes a launch game for the PS4.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Its been 7 yrs eh why the hell not..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    I don't doubt they'll give it a different name since it's been so long but don't expect it to be changed to a numbered title.
    Last edited by Black; 02-05-2013 at 18:40.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Master Poster
    makes alot of sense to.me that it would shift to next gen and I hope this is true.

Considering they've been postponing any info on it for the past 2 years, I find it likely that it was because they couldn't reveal any new info until Sony announce(d) PS4.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    At this point I hope this happens. With all of the games coming out this year and buying the PS4 it is already going to be a very expensive year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I had a feeling this was what was happening since they chose to let it go by the wayside. It would explain why no new info. Lets just hope this doesn't turn into another Starcraft Ghost!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Veteran
    I agree with what all of you guys are saying, about waiting so long for it might as well make it worth it and move it to the next gen consoles, and FREE DLC would be another great doing because of how long they have kept us waiting lol.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    I gotta say if Sony wants a **** awesome launch lineup for PS4 they will have Versus and Last Guardian on there.

RIP Oculus Rift

14. Likes darksora wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    I gotta say if Sony wants a **** awesome launch lineup for PS4 they will have Versus and Last Guardian on there.
    I think The Last Guardian is going to fall into this same category as this rumor is. Might as well shift towards next gen since it's taken them that long.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I think The Last Guardian is going to fall into this same category as this rumor is. Might as well shift towards next gen since it's taken them that long.
    I think it did a long time ago. I remember about a year after the game was shown they said the game was nearly done so where did it go? No game should have these many problems when its said its nearly done. I think they ran into a huge problem possibly with hardware and instead of fixing it Sony just said "**** it" and told them to make it even better to the specs of PS4.

RIP Oculus Rift

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    I think it did a long time ago. I remember about a year after the game was shown they said the game was nearly done so where did it go? No game should have these many problems when its said its nearly done. I think they ran into a huge problem possibly with hardware and instead of fixing it Sony just said "**** it" and told them to make it even better to the specs of PS4.
    Completely agree. It seems like I remember hearing rumors of them having issues of the system not being powerful enough for the close to final product. I could be imagining things though. Ueda breaking off Sony Japan didn't help at all either.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    I don't believe in FFV13 no more. If anything it'll be a PS6 exclusive

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Still Day one, no PRE-ORDER for me when ever the frik it shows up finally!

Super Elite
    Sounds likely, because this game has been undercover for awhile, so I'm guessing instead of releasing this with FF13-3 they would rather pushed this to ps4.

Thread Information