Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Cloud Gaming is NOT the future says Nintendo

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/cloud-g...ntendo-6403414

Cloud-gaming not the future, says Nintendo
    February 5, 2013 6:56AM PST

Satoru Iwata says there are "many things" cloud-gaming cannot do by design, dedicated gaming platforms will not die.
    Nintendo president Satoru Iwata was asked by investors recently if he thinks traditional dedicated gaming platforms like the Wii U and 3DS will be replaced by other initiatives, like cloud-gaming. He squarely said no, downplaying the role of cloud gaming in the industry's future, and saying dedicated gaming consoles will not die out anytime soon.

Iwata said there is always some latency involving cloud gaming. And while this may have little or no effect on some games, on other, more interactive games, this latency could be a major drawback.

"For some highly interactive games, action games in particular, the time required to reflect the push of a button on the screen is critical and the frame rate determines the fluidity of the movements," he said. "This means that there are some types of games that can be put on the Internet and others that cannot."

"There are many things that cloud gaming cannot do by design, but this fact has not been communicated well to the public, and I find it strange that many people claim that cloud gaming is the future."

"There are many things that cloud gaming cannot do by design, but this fact has not been communicated well to the public, and I find it strange that many people claim that cloud gaming is the future."
    Iwata added that the discussion should then shift to whether dedicated gaming platforms will die out and whether home console and portable gaming devices will one day be unified.

"Naturally, our stance is that dedicated gaming platforms will not die out and we are determined to create a future where they will not," he said.

As for platform integration, Iwata echoed comments from last month, saying Nintendo has no plans to integrate its home console and portable devices into one. Instead, Iwata said Nintendo is focusing its efforts on unifying its development methods, operating systems, and built-in software for each platform so that each may be used across devices in a simplified manner.

"This means that if we manage to integrate our platforms successfully, we may in fact be able to make more platforms. At the moment, we only have our current handheld devices and home consoles because if we tried to make more platforms, our development resources would be spread too thinly," he said. "The more we can share software across different platforms, the more development resources will be left for something else. Platform integration does not mean creating one type of platform, but the point is that the united method of software development will enable us to share our most precious software assets across different hardware."

Nintendo may not see a bright future for cloud-gaming, but that's not the case for Sony. The PlayStation maker last year acquired cloud-gaming company Gaikai for $380 million. Sony intends to use the acquisition to establish a new cloud service combining Gaikai's resources with its own, though it is not clear if this endeavor is for the PlayStation 3, the long-rumored PlayStation 4, or something else entirely.

Iwata also addressed Near-Field Communication support for Wii U, which has been materially absent thus far. He said Nintendo is in talks with "several developers" and hopes to show and discuss some of the progress made in this area by the end of the year.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Then what is , Is nintendo Ucloud the future
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Then what is , Is nintendo Ucloud the future
    Underpowered & overpriced hardware with only 1st party games and 3rd party shovelware!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 02-05-2013 at 20:43.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

4. Likes HellsJester , MartyRules likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I played Need for Speed: Most Wanted on the Gaikai website. There was a little lag now and then but it was totally playable, and that was before the technology was streamlined and optimised for the PSN infrastructure. If Sony puts PS1 and PS2 games on the cloud I don't even think there would be latency...you could probably stream those games on dial-up . I CAN'T WAIT to see what Sony does with Gaikai...SEN...With Sony Music, Movies and Games all under one banner...What service is in store for us I wonder?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Underpowered & overpriced hardware with only 1st party games and 3rd part shovelware!
    damn you, you out did me on this one and this is the last time my Lord

May you succeed me in comic form
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    damn you, you out did me on this one and this is the last time my Lord

May you succeed me in comic form
    Mwahahahaha!

...maybe they will bring back cartridge based games while they are at it too!
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 02-05-2013 at 20:46.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Mwahahahaha!
    Mwahahaha COUGH! COUGH! water please my lord

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Like he says some games are more prone to the problem o latency in the controls (input lag) Its most noticable in FPS games when aiming with anaolog stick but easier noticed using a m ouse mouse and even beat 'em ups which require precise timing to activate combos will suffer.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-05-2013 at 23:08.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Gabe Newell said the same in his DICE 2013 keynote.
    He had good points, so I guess we still may have actual consoles

Master Guru
    The sky is the limit for cloud gaming. If anyone can make it relevant it's Sony.

Forum Sage
    I mean this from the bottom of my heart... $#@! CLOUD GAMING.

13. Likes keefy likes this post

PSN ID
    sektoderselters9
    I don't think the guys that were many years behind in the hardware department (and just now closed in) probably shouldn't tell us what the future is or isn't.

Flaw3d Genius
    Cloud gaming is certainly not the future not in the next 7 years anyway.

Forum Sage
    I don't want streaming to be gaming's future. If anything, it should be an option alongside being able to buy content.

Forum Overseer
    Please tell us about the future Nintendo.

I don't like Cloud Gaming but I'm not stupid enough to deny it. Just like I know motion controls will be a part of the future.

18. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Please tell us about the future Nintendo.

I don't like Cloud Gaming but I'm not stupid enough to deny it. Just like I know motion controls will be a part of the future.
    Nintendo didn't deny it either though??

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Saying that it's not the future is sort of denying it before giving it a chance to all play out though.

TBH, if MS is to go full casual (or somewhat there and thereabouts) - I think they're doing a much much better job than Nintendo is, in that regard. To me, Nintendo is going to sell only because Nintendo fans are some of the most rabid and insane.

Plus there are people otu there that like to play niche type games JRPGs and are just in general, 'Japan-o-philes' (which Nintendo makes a lot of games for).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Overseer
    I'm reading the headings.

PSN ID
    sektoderselters9
    Cloud gaming is certainly not the future not in the next 7 years anyway.
    Oracle said something like this about cloud computing in 2007. Look were they are now.

Thread Information