Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    This would be suicide for any console company that tries this. Hope this isnt true because if MS does this then Sony will too.
    No doubt about it. Can't see just one doing this but it sounds like another made up rumor.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I call BS.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I call BS.
    Same here.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If true....

Last edited by Ixion; 02-06-2013 at 16:11.

5. Likes Omar likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    lol was MS going off of the supposed BS spec sony handed out to devs? this has to be false

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    No doubt about it. Can't see just one doing this but it sounds like another made up rumor.
    Just because it's not something you want to hear does not mean it's a made up rumour at all

We will have to see if this is true or not

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the cutting out used games part is true. I hope it is not though, but when you think about how much games cost to make even this generation, the amount of lay offs and studio closures we've seen the idea behind it makes sense IF fairly implemented. It's like the best $#@! you could give 3rd partys/publishers and we all know how important they are

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Just because it's not something you want to hear does not mean it's a made up rumour at all

We will have to see if this is true or not

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the cutting out used games part is true. I hope it is not though, but when you think about how much games cost to make even this generation, the amount of lay offs and studio closures we've seen the idea behind it makes sense IF fairly implemented. It's like the best $#@! you could give 3rd partys/publishers and we all know how important they are
    I was thinking all that, except the bj part. They already do this with windows.

Also their will be a lot more piracy once these machines get hacked.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Lets hope its not true ( 99% sure it will be BS)
    Last edited by LfCpS3; 02-06-2013 at 18:05.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    what i don't understand is why implement it at the console level? why not just allow publishers to do it, and then chances are they'll do it on all platforms.

it smacks of EA or someone applying pressure, in which case its very likely sony does it. i hope they don't, and durango bombs because of it. $#@!ing teach them a lesson.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    If one company does it and the other doesn't I hope the console of the company that does flops miserably. And most likely it will.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by EDGE
    Risky business: the next Xbox versus PlayStation 4

You’ve got to admire Microsoft’s bravery. News that its next Xbox could shut out the second-hand games market has caused strong reactions across social media today, and it has impacted upon the real world too. GameStop’s share price took a dent following the publication of our story earlier this afternoon.

If our sources are correct (and we’re confident they are), Microsoft has made the move that publishers and developers have been asking for. Microsoft’s next Xbox will do what Steam and the App Store have been doing for years, and very successfully, too – a download-first, one profile, one purchase, one storefront system. Overnight, it’ll stop GameStop and GAME from selling on games without a penny heading back to its publisher, let alone its creator.

In recent years, online passes have allowed publishers to recoup some of the cost of maintaining servers for online play, but they have always been something of a half-measure. With the next Xbox, Microsoft could go all the way.

The key differences between Steam, the App Store and the next iteration of Xbox Live are in pricing and that ‘always-on’ detail. There’s good reason no-one really cares that you can’t trade in Steam and App Store games – often, they’re so cheap it barely seems worth the bother. One can easily call into question whether download-first next-gen games will actually be any cheaper because they skip costly manufacturing and distribution processes. One would expect they won’t be. On first impressions, Microsoft is taking a huge risk in cutting out a second-hand games ecosystem which keeps gaming affordable and its players interested in the box under their television.

But it is worth remembering that in adopting this download-first policy, Microsoft is free from existing pricing models. One can easily imagine premium prices for those titles deemed still worthy of a retail release. Service-based subscriptions for bigger, costlier games will play a part, too, and middle and lower tier games will sell further down the pricing scale. And let’s not forget free-to-play.

Microsoft has also, rather more sensibly, surmised that the kind of consumer happy to pay for a next-generation console is going to have a decent internet connection. It is not a portable device; there’s little harm in keeping the next Xbox connected, as long as the next iteration of Xbox Live is implemented in the right way. Past experiences with always-on services have been disappointing – just ask Ubisoft and Blizzard – but that’s current generation technology. Microsoft must take note of its contemporaries’ mistakes and make its always-on Xbox service as unobtrusive as it can.

What’s trickier for Microsoft is in explaining its decision when faced with Sony’s plans for the PlayStation 4. Walk into a game retailer (should you be able to find one by the time these consoles arrive) and the choice could be simple: PlayStation 4 is more powerful, and plays second-hand games. One can imagine how fruitful a call between Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick might have been had they both agreed to take the same measures against second-hand sales.

Based on our sources’ information, we are building an ever clearer picture of what PlayStation 4 and the next Xbox will be. Right now, there seems to be a subtle role reversal happening; Microsoft’s stricter, more complex box aspires to be the complete entertainment superhub PS3 was once designed to be. Sony’s PlayStation 4 is more PC-like and developer-friendly, as Xbox once was.

What hasn’t changed is the logistical challenge of launching a home console. We understand that PS4 will reach the US and Japan by the end of this year, with European territories to follow after Christmas, just as PS3 did. What Microsoft might stand to lose in halting the second-hand market, it could gain if it manages to launch its new console globally before PS4.
    Source

There's no way Microsoft is doing this without Sony doing it too.
    Last edited by Ixion; 02-06-2013 at 21:02.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Source

Off course & if they go that route then my next gen console will just be a beefed up Graphics card as I will be a full time PC gamer

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Source

gamestop may just decide not to carry anything related to xbox720. MS are really dumb if they do this without sony.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    If this rumor is true 720 is a no go for me. I hate always online and always will. If you lose connection or servers go down you can't play. Not a smart idea. I guess we will have to see how this shapes out. I was waiting on something to come out about this for either consoles because we heard so much about it months back and it just fell off. MS better think twice about this because I believe they will lose a lot of support if they do this.

Although I honestly don't see MS being this blind. Hopefully this turns out to be nothing but a rumor and is false.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    wait i am not sold on this idea if true
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Elite

GREAT NEWS! That means we can all save hundreds of dollars on hardware since the current gen will last another 5 years!

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    gamestop may just decide not to carry anything related to xbox720. MS are really dumb if they do this without sony.
    Imagine walking into a GAME shop ( or gamestop) and seeing nothing but WIIU/Nintendo and ps4/PLAYSTATION products.. could be a massive blow to MS ( but like i said earlier if MS do this then i would put my money of SONY also doing it, if SONY don't do this AND still get the support from third parties then i think it could be even worse for XBOX, then again you never know)

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Imagine walking into a GAME shop ( or gamestop) and seeing nothing but WIIU/Nintendo and ps4/PLAYSTATION products.. could be a massive blow to MS ( but like i said earlier if MS do this then i would put my money of SONY also doing it, if SONY don't do this AND still get the support from third parties then i think it could be even worse for XBOX, then again you never know)
    If Sony doesn't announce they're doing it on the 20th then MS won't do it. If Sony announced they're doing it then MS will follow suit.

PSN ID
    Cloud_219
    if true playstation 4 will destory xbox720

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by playstationfreak91 View Post
    if true playstation 4 will destory xbox720
    If true xbox720 will destroy xbox720.

22. Likes LfCpS3 likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    I say false, I doubt the 360 will use such an underpowered processor, sure its 8 core but an 8core at 2.6-3.0ghz would be much better. Unless its super efficient - like not missing any cycles or whatever..

I also doubt that MS will make the next xbox always online, still plenty of people who like to take their consoles with them or just doesn't always have the net. It would just be cutting off so many potential buyers
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I believe the underpowered hardware rumors if its true that Kinect 2.0 is built in or comes with every Xbox. Otherwise they would never be able to sell it at a competitive price. Especially in light of this. http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/396...shimbun-report

Forum Overseer
    I'm still game if Sony does this. Let's hope they keep the prices like Steam too though.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm still game if Sony does this. Let's hope they keep the prices like Steam too though.
    I do find it annoying, but if they can offer cheaper and more competitive prices (steam) with more sales and stuff i personally would be ok and be able to get over it.

Make sure I can play games offline!!!!!!!!

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    a download-first, one profile, one purchase, one storefront system.
    If the profile thing is the case Ill be gone burger. If I buy a game i want my son to be able to play it in his profile as well.
    Always on and 2nd hand, dont care.

I have read this story before like last year though, I even remeber reading the stupid commend about HD-DVD.

Thread Information