Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not so sure about these steam-like prices being offered. How are they going to do so with the rising cost of development? Stores selling the disc version of these titles for 60 dollars are not going to like MS or Sony selling these same titles for 40 dollars or less on day 1.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Customers don't like it when retailers impose restrictions on what services they cannot buy a game they want.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Imagine walking into a GAME shop ( or gamestop) and seeing nothing but WIIU/Nintendo and ps4/PLAYSTATION products.. could be a massive blow to MS ( but like i said earlier if MS do this then i would put my money of SONY also doing it, if SONY don't do this AND still get the support from third parties then i think it could be even worse for XBOX, then again you never know)
    Retailers are fucked anyway, pretty soon we won't be walking into any video game stores and just buying off amazon, and then digital only will become a reality after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Retailers are fucked anyway, pretty soon we won't be walking into any video game stores and just buying off amazon, and then digital only will become a reality after that.
    That propably wont happen till maybe the console gen after the next one. The infrastructure isnt there especially in the US where alot of IPs impose bandwidth caps.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    This wouldn't personally effect me too much(even if I did buy a 720); I can't recall the last time I bought a used game or sold one. I also can't really be against it too much if I would be willing to accept an all digital market (with good broadband speeds, no caps and much better availability) that would result in the same thing.

However, I don't think the market is ready for second-hand sales to be restricted and I am not convinced either one will end up restricting second-hand sales yet. There are far too many unknowns with how the market with accept such an approach, how it will be effected by different laws in different regions, how your competitor(s) will approach it and if it will even result in more sales.

I should add that I am not saying I am for restricting second-hand sales or that I don't completely understand why some are so against.
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 02-07-2013 at 11:33.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    They will shrink, sure. But disappear and become irrelevant? Never.

Via Tapatalk

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    You guys are forgetting something very important...

Yes, the retailers would support the PS4, but the publishers would support the 720. The whole reason Microsoft would do this is to benefit the publishers. Therefore the 720 might get a lot more exclusive games than the PS4.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post

Yes, the retailers would support the PS4, but the publishers would support the 720. The whole reason Microsoft would do this is to benefit the publishers. Therefore the 720 might get a lot more exclusive games than the PS4.
    Yeah good point

Like I said before it's the best thing a publisher could hear from a platform holder. All throughout this generation we've had tidbits from the industry about how the 2nd hand market is killing them. Microsoft could very well be against this for the sake of how their platform is received but they may not even have much of a say if this is just where the industry is heading..

Sony, too

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

I thought about it and that's simply not going to happen. MS would have to have deals already with these 3rd party developers. Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, EA, would not do such a thing because they would be missing out on millions of sales. The rumors suggest that the ps4 is easier to develop for and more pc-like than the 720. 3rd party aren't going to miss out on the ps4 because the cost of developing titles will rise next gen.

Ms following thru with this idea would raise these question...How much money are they saving from cutting out the middleman? Are they going to pass the savings down to the customer? Will the the profits remain the same for publisher or rise due to MS not passing off any savings to the customer? How are they going to deal with the retailers? Gamestop stock took a hit with just the rumor about this. They are clearly not going to carry any 720 products if this is true. If other retailers feel as if they are getting screwed in a similar manner then the 720 could end up like the psp go.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-07-2013 at 15:58.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    It could mean more exclusives for the 720, true, but if the majority don't get the 720 because of this ( if it happens and SONY do not do this) and boycott it then it i don't think exclusives would make much difference ( depends on who will give in first, gamers or publishers)

BUT i do think that the majority of gamers, well COD/FIFA/HALO style gamers wont really care for this and will still get a 720 regardless if it offers those titles. Those in the know of this, like us, are very much in the minority if this does happen.

Elite Guru

Im hearing the article is fake.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    I hope so. This would be bad news for consumers.....and I hate EDGE. lol

Elite Guru

I hope so. This would be bad news for consumers.....and I hate EDGE. lol
    r

Im hearing the whole article is fake. It's seems that majority of the information out is speculation, MS and Sony trying to force each other hands. Im not believing anything until I hear it officially.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    r

Im hearing the whole article is fake. It's seems that majority of the information out is speculation, MS and Sony trying to force each other hands. Im not believing anything until I hear it officially.
    This is from your source? Just curious where you're hearing this from.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    That propably wont happen till maybe the console gen after the next one. The infrastructure isnt there especially in the US where alot of IPs impose bandwidth caps.
    Yep, that's when I think it'll happen too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    They will shrink, sure. But disappear and become irrelevant? Never.

Via Tapatalk
    It's already happening with Music, Movies and PC Games, more and more people are buying digitally, it's inevitable, 10 years from now it will become a reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001

I don't think that would happen either unless the 720 greatly outsold the PS4(especially with how much easier it will be to release games on both systems). If publishers were willing to give up that amount of sales just to restrict second-hand sales I believe they would have already went all digital with their games.

17. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

You make a good point but if the consumer backing for the console isn't up to snuff, i just don't see this happening. What you gain in purchases you lose because the overall support of the system isn't there. Surely they would love to benefit from this but I just don't think the risk of an exclusive bombing because the system doesn't have the consumer base is not worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Not really... Publisher can simply say screw discs and lets just sell it on XBLA and PSN to prevent used selling.

No real profitable reason for them to say, Lets just sell it on XBLA unless ofc MS gives them money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    I don't think that would happen either unless the 720 greatly outsold the PS4(especially with how much easier it will be to release games on both systems). If publishers were willing to give up that amount of sales just to restrict second-hand sales I believe they would have already went all digital with their games.
    Agreed 100 percent. also what i was saying. they would just sell digitally on both playforms rather than just one... that makes no sense

Elite Guru

This is from your source? Just curious where you're hearing this from.

Also there will be 2 skus, one a console and one a low level tv set top box, which I can understand why the specs that have been release has a low gpu at 60 watts and if thats the case the specs we are seeing are for the set top box and not the actual 720 console.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    If both companies do this (no second hand games) then it looks like I'm going to be buying form the US PS store (cheaper games). That, or go PC (yes there are no second hand games there either) but the games are at least cheaper.

Also there will be 2 skus, one a console and one a low level tv set top box, which I can understand why the specs that have been release has a low gpu at 60 watts and if thats the case the specs we are seeing are for the set top box and not the actual 720 console.
    splitting the market from the start?

Sounds like a suicidal move to me. and prob wont happen because MS knows better.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Splitting the userbase? Not a good move. So this has been confirmed? And your source?

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    there is no evidence for that.

you've just picked up a few ideas, and pretty desperate ideas at that, that have been knocking round forums. its got a low power gpu for exactly the same reason it has an APU. low power and heat.

thats not to say that MS aren't looking at forward compatability and may release a better console every couple of years. but don't act like you've got a 'source'. its just as much speculation as the forward compatability.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

25. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Funny because I heard its true. The guy who said so was the first to least the 8GB of RAM and CPU in Durango. He also leaked Wii U specs before anyone else.

Extreme Poster
    It sounds like an interesting idea to release a new console every few years...it would be difficult to do and not sure how it would affect development...likely not in a good way. Only good thing about it would be the initial sales...sorta like with the Gameboy release every other year (or DS now).

Thread Information