View Poll Results: Do Sony and handhelds mix?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 10.00%
  • Sony just needs to approach handhelds from another angle

9 30.00%
  • No

18 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Should Sony leave the handhelds to Nintendo?

The PSP was successful yes, but not as successful as the DS and the PSP Go wasn't very successful at all. In fact, I've heard some people say the PSP wasn't succesful to be truthful. Now we have the PS Vita. It's been a year and I still haven't seen big numbers like the 3DS.

Should Sony just leave the handheld market to Nintendo? Or should Sony at least change up the way they do handhelds, with cheaper prices and better support?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Business standpoint, probably ( unless they are actually making a profit)

Personal view, no. I know many dislike the vita and say it has no games, but i personally have been very happy with the content is has/is coming. Sure i would love a full fledged GTA game and COD/other already released games to be made a lot better/optimised but overall i am satisfied.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Psp is well over 70mill, Sony never has super great sales at first, just give it time

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well, the 3DS started off with disappointing sales. Nintendo then issued a price cut. Sony just needs to do the same and build up their library, considering the highest-rated title for the Vita is an enhanced port of a PS2 title.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-07-2013 at 01:01.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Let's keep in mind PSP sold 70 million+ and is still selling! So that is no failure by any means. I just feel they over priced accessories for the Vita and the Marketing team failed and should be fired! Vita still has time to make an impact I know at this time that's an optimistic thing to say but a couple killer apps can change its future.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Nah, I liked my psp while I had it and plan to get a vita to integrate with my ps3/psplus. I also like some DS so may as well keep a bit of variety.

EDIT: Vita really needs a price cut and a few more games though.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Sony usually has the best hardware. The problem is there price points and or advertising. I would drop the Vita down to 199, get monster hunter on the vita, and advertise the life out of the vita. So IMO, I think they should stay but make better choices.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Ultimate Veteran
    The psp is still selling well and its still nice hardware.the vita is awesome the 3ds cant hold a candle to the vita in terms of hardware.it will catch the 3ds

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    The psp is still selling well and its still nice hardware.the vita is awesome the 3ds cant hold a candle to the vita in terms of hardware.it will catch the 3ds
    Eh... The PS2 couldn't hold a candle to the Xbox in terms of hardware either. All the average joe really cares about are the games.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I was happy with my PSP when I had it and can't wait to play the vita when it arrives. I think if Sony lower the price on the console & accessories, things will pick up...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Master Guru
    Need to get GTA on there!!

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I had many great times with the PSP. I will eventually get a Vita as well.
    So yeah Sony is good at handhelds, though they are bad at focusing resources on their hardware accordingly.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Lower the price lose money by putting out more real exclusives and yeah it'll be fine.

I love my vita more than my 3ds

Via Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Uhm, no.

Yeah the Vita is struggling but if the Vita was not on the market then I wouldn't own a handheld at this point in time. Probably the same case for other people out there that simply aren't swayed by Nintendo's offerings (outside of Japan especially)

They'll eventually make the Vita into a worthwhile business for themselves. I say that because of what happened with the PS3 and to some extent the PSP, which, despite selling 70m+ was definitely struggling at some points mid life. PS3 was absolutely 100% written off, like...condemned to failure - and while the initial billions of investment may not have been recouped the PS3 is currently a relative, current and popular platform.

So for Vita, whether it's Vita 2.0 with a smaller bill of materials, or a Vita phone or anything else - we'll just have to see how they turn it around. Even if it ends up as a very niche (compared to competitor) but profitable model. Like Gamecube/N64 were

They haven't set the precedent of abandoning a game platform like Nintendo and Sega. I would be surprised if they were to start. Everything for Sony is long-term. Which has it's pros and cons, but that's just the culture of the company

If they can get the PS4 and PSV communicating somehow like the WiiU/gamepad as well as a price drop and some sort of Gakai implementation - things could turn around. Depending on how PS4 is received
    Last edited by Nitey; 02-07-2013 at 13:44.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Not really. I like my VITA more than I did with old my PSP. Sony is doing great and the sales of the system will be improved slowly and slowly. Why Sony would leave it to Nintendo? No big reason.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Seeing how I think the 3DS sucks, my answer is NO.

Nintendo still didn't fix the number 1 complaint, to have 2 analog sticks. Not sure why they thought their handheld only needed 1....

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I've hardly touched my 3DS since having the Vita, the only games that will bring me back are animal crossing and pokemon, otherwise the Vita is keeping me content!

If they dropped the price of the PSV then no doubt would the sells shoot up

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I definitely love my vita, I loved my psp too, never owned a nintendo product so I won't comment about them.
    Yet Vita definitely need more japan favoured RPG games which I love the most!!! Jeanne D'Arc was my fav for psp for example.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    3ds has better games and that why it outsells the Vita. If I want to play a Vita game...I'll just turn on my ps3 and because I can make that comment is the reason why Vita is getting outsold by psp and 3ds

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Yet Vita definitely need more japan favoured RPG games which I love the most!!! Jeanne D'Arc was my fav for psp for example.
    Japan seems to be fixated on monster hunting games. :/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    3ds has better games and that why it outsells the Vita. If I want to play a Vita game...I'll just turn on my ps3 and because I can make that comment is the reason why Vita is getting outsold by psp and 3ds
    PS3 can not play Gravity Rush, Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Liberation, Unit 13, Little Deviants, Ragnarok Odyssey, ect.

But the Vita certainly does lack in Vita only games. But the Vita is very solid and I use mine every single day.

I just hate the 3DS single analog stick, inferior graphics, and horrible 3D.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    PS3 can not play Gravity Rush, Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Liberation, Unit 13, Little Deviants, Ragnarok Odyssey, ect.

But the Vita certainly does lack in Vita only games. But the Vita is very solid and I use mine every single day.

I just hate the 3DS single analog stick, inferior graphics, and horrible 3D.
    Mostly just Gravity Rush and Little Deviants. I'm sure the rest of the games you mentioned could be ported over to the PS3, if given the chance. Persona 4 Golden originally came out as Persona 4 on the PS2.

Also, 3D isn't the best but it isn't mandatory either.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-07-2013 at 19:16.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    No... home consoles sales will decline overall next gen as more people opt for the portable products (not just 3DS and Vita), Sony just needs to bring proper games to it and stop with all the arcade/phone crap they keep putting on the store.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Mostly just Gravity Rush and Little Deviants. I'm sure the rest of the games you mentioned could be ported over to the PS3, if given the chance. Persona 4 Golden originally came out as Persona 4 on the PS2.

But the games I listed are not available on the PS3. It is not about what "could" be ported. Hell, you can port any game. The PS3 flat out does not have those games and more that I did not list. My point was that you can not just turn on your PS3 if you want to play Vita games.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post

Also, 3D isn't the best but it isn't mandatory either.
    Going by what you said, every 3ds game can be ported over to the wii u ( minus 3d), ps3 can play xbox exclusives a few changes ( vice versa maybe) EVERY console exclusive can be played on the PC even if pported...

Silly thing to say.
    End of the day, ps3 does not have these titles.

Thread Information